aaa Are you BACKED UP? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Are you BACKED UP?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 20-Jul-04  @  03:16 PM     Edit: 20-Jul-04  |  03:16 PM   -   Are you BACKED UP?

dARKSTATe

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Based on something I read in SoS, I got to thinkin (this has probably been covered off here recently but what the hey?! eh?!)  

(Oh, and this could also probably be in the PC Music forum but it applies to Mac and linux heads, as well so here we are..)

How often to people back-up? I mean honestly? And what kinda processes do you go through? Just bung it all on DVDR? Use an app which helps devise backup schemes? Manually pick through and compress stuff before copying to CDR? Use portable harddrives? Backup to servers on a personal LAN?

Also, this Monkey's Audio file compressor looks damn nice... according to these specs anyway.. but do people still bother to crush stuff?!

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/comparison.html

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/30             21-Jul-04  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

multipart rars innit. but yeah not ideal. i've only had one project go over 4.5 gb and that could have been smaller if i'd have cleared all the unused takes.

Message 12/30             21-Jul-04  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

Link?: Link

how do multipart rars solve the problem? If one of them bites it, the whole thing is still shot.

Message 13/30             21-Jul-04  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

nah bollocks you can recover the contents, unless they stradle 2 rars.

Message 14/30             21-Jul-04  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

craig

The computer geek in me says that I'd never compress a backup, because that's just one more thing that could go wrong when recovery time comes...

Message 15/30             21-Jul-04  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

... so i went and checked the one project i've got compressed, all good - phew.

anyway, with twice the capacity dvd writers affordable soon, there's even less need to compress

Message 16/30             22-Jul-04  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

SignalRunners - BLU

there selling those sony dvd writers - 8.4 capacity or something for 100 squids in comet

add another 100 squids for 50 discs or whatever they cost and thats terabytes of backup innit?

does a cd/dvd have a shelf life to speak of assuming they are burned, cased and stored?

Im sure i read of some brands od cd's only having 10 year life or something- surely not?

Message 17/30             22-Jul-04  @  05:08 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

[smacks self]

This thread topic has been staring me in the face for over 24 hours now and I've missed out on a laxative reference all this time?

I'm losing my touch...

Message 18/30             22-Jul-04  @  05:13 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Influx

psylichon husks

I mean..psyllium...

Message 19/30             22-Jul-04  @  05:27 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

tres esoterique, dave!

Message 20/30             22-Jul-04  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Hydro

I backed up some songs to CD a while back, (uncompressed) and was unable to recover them. Lost forever! I'm sure it happens to people in all lines of work all over the world, but when its your music it somehow feels like you've lost a relative or something..Too tragic.... Anyways I've been fearing my Hard Drive's gonna crash (its been making wierd noises) so I've been looking to Cheap, Cheap (did I mention Cheap) alternatives. So far I've come up with a zip drive. You can buy a 250 mb external Iomega for like 50 bucks on e-bay, and another ten disks for 30-40. Thats 2.5 gigs for 30-40 bucks, and from what I hear the disk are pretty solid and dependable. You'd have to deal with alot of disk's but you can get a zip disk case that holds a bunch. I guess I could just save to 200 3.5mb disks. Those things are cheap as hell....

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)