aaa beginner advice - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: beginner advice

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 24-Aug-03  @  06:36 PM   -   beginner advice

albrecht

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi, I would very appreciate it if musicians here could give me advice to start making electronic music (the technical). What gear do they use? what will i be needing?

How is this list (will it work):

-nord lead 1 synthesiser
-computer with logic Audio
-mackie 1202 mixer
-alesis monitor 1

if people here could give advice on what i should start out with it would help
Thank you

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/30             25-Aug-03  @  05:34 AM     Edit: 25-Aug-03  |  05:54 AM   -   RE: beginner advice

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

Link?: Link

Thats cool. Part of the point I'm making is that going through a step by step process that includes a studied foundation of even the most basic concepts will help an individual determine if the subject in question is something they will actually find interesting enough to apply a level of dedication to. In this case the subject in question can become a huge financial commitment. The book set I recommended is about $150.00 and includes audio examples of the topics covered. In the world of electronic music that is a very small investment. The theory site is FREE! An inexpensive but usable synth is around $300.00 (the SQ80 also has a sequencer by the way). So, a $450.00 investment can bring a great return in regard to learning AND after a few months, if it isn't happening most of that investment can be recouped by selling the books and the synth. Also, this approach sidesteps the whole computer thing which allows more time to concentrate on learning music as opposed to learning an operating system. Again, if there is enough discipline to follow a very basic study plan of sorts then there will be enough discipline to attack software hardware compatibility issues. Crawl, then walk, then run, then fly like the wind. Or maybe flee.  

All the recording books above do are give you an idea as to what things sound like when its going right (wouldn't you rather know that you won't get a feedback loop nasty enough too fry drivers and eardrums alike because you've learned how signal flow operates) or when its going wrong (all "hums" are not equal - if you've never heard a recording of 60 cycle hum how can you tell that's what the problem is). The theory stuff is about what notes on the keyboard make up a given scale and how does that scale relate to the others. All this stuff does is flatten out the learning curve when you finally lay your hands on real gear. It helps people to avoid the most common mistakes which allows them to move ahead at a quicker pace. Why spend hours, or worse- money on unshielded cables, to discover and learn about something as basic as the 60 cycle hum (or a myriad of other basic concepts that are covered in the above texts). How can any other approach be superior. Hell, you gotta read the manuals for each piece of gear you buy. All this is, its "reading the manual" that covers everything else. You do read the manuals for all your gear, right?

Message 12/30             25-Aug-03  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: beginner advice

slickqd

I do read MOST of my manuals...other times i just play. Unfortunately, I am the type htat has to fiddle, and play before I learn

Message 13/30             25-Aug-03  @  06:00 AM   -   RE: beginner advice

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

"MOST"

I can't even begin to respond to that.

Message 14/30             25-Aug-03  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: beginner advice

Influx

you dont ALWAYS have to RTFM to be able to get what you want out of a piece of gear now, Mick

just usually 

Message 15/30             25-Aug-03  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

99devils

Nord I is a good box to start with. Like Maarten said, sometimes the feel of the gear in your hands is a motivating factor in itself.

One caveat about Nords is that they don't have all that many voices, and they're only capable of analog synth sounds. If you want realistic sounding acoustic instruments or drums (you can program nice analog drums on the NL, but you may not want to lock yourself into that). For drums especially, I'd say that you should use a computer based sequencer that allows you to use VST instruments or DXi instruments, or at least lets you paste in your drum hits to create a drum track.

If you don't know what any of this means, start exploring the menu at the top of the site. There's so much info here you shouldn't have to go elsewhere.

-Craig

Message 16/30             25-Aug-03  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

k

i'd say start with a s/w like Orion pro or Project5 or Reason. that's all you need to get a taste and those s/w's will all go way further than 'getting a taste' - P5 & Orion both can use VSTi's tho while Reason can't.

Message 17/30             25-Aug-03  @  05:04 PM     Edit: 25-Aug-03  |  06:12 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

Casiotones are pretty straightforward.  

Message 18/30             25-Aug-03  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

albrecht

thanks to all-- slick, pleazurkraft, k, 99devils, etc..

i have actually played piano for a few years, so i know some theory.

plezurkraft-- i think that is a good idea (#1)-- the home recording set looks like it could be very useful, for i dont know the basics of mixing, etc yet.

about the gear/sw-- i realize it is an investment, but im serious about making music, and am not unwilling to buy the hardware. i have used a nord before and was very comfortable with its sound. they are relative cheap when bought seconhand nowdays, so i dont think its a problem.

about orion/beginner sw-- i am a little hesitant to spend a couple hundred dollars on this program, because i dont really like the idea of a 'all in one' package. i would be more comfortable with buying individual units ( one by one) and learning how to use them fully, gradually. is that a good idea?

thanks, great site

Message 19/30             25-Aug-03  @  09:00 PM     Edit: 25-Aug-03  |  09:03 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

If you've played piano for a few years then you are obviously musically disiplined. Okay, you're not a complete beginner so...

Yes, the book set I believe will be key.

With that I will suggest the following:

First, a relatively fast PC. The RME website's test PC specification page seems like a solid way to go.

2) Cubase SX (the version that works).

3) Softsynths: SC1, Oddity, Mercury 1, Model E, Pro53, Absynth, z3ta, in roughly that order. Get through those and you will be ready for just about any hardware synth out there but you may find you won't need or want too many. As far as tweaking knobs go, automation will allow you to get by without a knobbly hardware synth for now.

4) Plugin processors: Waves 3.5, HyperPrism, and GRM Tools are the best and available.

5) A low latency audio interface, others here can comment better than I on that becuase I have a relatively slow computer. RME seems to get way high praise. If you can get the latency you need with a US428 audio/MIDI interface/control surface then I can't say enough good things about it.

As far as MIDI only interfaces MIDIman is pretty solid, I've got two 8x8 interfaces and I've had no problems.

6) Behringer MX602A gets you preamps and a mixer for sixty bucks.

7) Kurzweil K2000VP for all the reasons previously mentioned. At some point I would add an inexpensive knobbly synth module, a second hand Nova perhaps.

All the above a solid pices of gear that you can continue to integrate with as long as you choose to make music. After you have worked with this setup you can begin to get an idea of what you want to buy in the future.

Message 20/30             25-Aug-03  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

Influx

Keep in mind that EVERY post should be an implied "IMO"

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)