aaa New DT - the server is up ! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New DT - the server is up !

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 13-Oct-98  @  07:29 PM   -   New DT - the server is up !

kilo

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

right.... the server is set up.... start to get it uplaoded this week, then i'll mail out peoples loggin & password names in about 7 days......... then a small group of us can test it over a week, and bug report it.....

There will be a section to apply for loggin status..... you'll have to fill it in, cos i need to capture your Ip address..... i guess this wont work with a dynamic system at your IP..... anyways..... we can work round that i hope......

so.......there ya go.... gotta get the comments added (arrrrggggghh!!!).... keep the contrib' requests coming

now, the other thing is.... the server space is $1.00 per Mb...... so i wonder what you think of people paying 10$ per year to cover server space which of course they use..... i reckon that'd cover an average amount of uploads... and they'd get the advantage o access to the library (admittedly, the 'benefits' of this will at first be limited until it starts to fill up.... although i will post up extra samples to pad it out, it'll take a while to get going and fill up with a variety of file types...).... so i dunno.... it could be an idea,.... all the DT facilities reviews and pages will still be the same like now... the old site + additions will be as now totally free... and BANNER-LESS !!...that to me is important... i get pissed off with bannered sites, even the banners they added at the sonic-state chat pages was adding alot of load time, and i stopped popping over there due to that.... but the $10 (annually - that is cheap) , would cover the extras of used space.....???? ..... thoughts??... also i could do like an extra percentage off stuff DT sells, as an additional top-up... but, i have to investigate alot of the sending overseas protocol.... freight....currency conversions, tax... power supplies.... warrantee coverage etc.... dunno quite how it'll work out...... maybe only s/w and smaller items are worth sending overseas.... ??... anyways... i'll start with soundcards & s/w..... i talked with Yamaha today... that could be a problem... as they have a retail=premises-only rule..... MAYBE, with sufficient grovelling to the sales manager, i can get thru that and get stuff like the db50, sw60, dsp1624 &sw1000 up for sale.... apparently i could go thru a distributor they use to supply the PC trade... but.... of course, the dsp & sw1000 etc are under the Pro-Audio department.... we'll see...... the rest will be there tho....

so.... it's getting there...... what'd be wicked, would be like a web-store, with small artists dance cd's in it , with RA examples .... and we could like do all the merchant bit of card processing, cover that expense with a percentage (just as record companies do with shops/distribtors), and gather the dosh, and like have accounts with each author/artist..... and they could mail them out.... so that way, no-one has to pay upfront to burn hundreds if they are poor... they can burn 'em on a cd burner... get the graphics done however.... y'know.... that'd be a nice one..... cos like people wouldnt have to get all the credit servers & bank authorisations done and that.... that'd be an idea.... the author is happy maybe, cos he 100% knows how many have been sent out, cos he/she sends them to the punter !..... if it doesnt sell... simple..... no-one looses out.... ...tracks are still free to licence elsewhere... perfect record deal really !!.... heh heh..,...
but back for the server space..... it's not going to be possible to support it properly, unless people buy-in to the club , annually, cheap, or DT get so wealthy, it pays for itself regardless of server space with sales of stuff.. even up to a full managed server.... which is about 3000$ per year..... but, 1000 1mb samples is 1gb.... to get to that level, it'll have to go managed... and that will have to be payed for somehow.... thats life....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/31             14-Oct-98  @  02:50 AM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

xoxos

Link?:  Link

i dig those rogers snares; there's your tenner from me right there.

kilo: keep doing what you're doing. when can i have my 'dancetech' platinum card? does this make me a freemason as well?

xoxos.

Message 12/31             14-Oct-98  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

kilo

yup $1.00 per MB per month... !!.....

Message 13/31             14-Oct-98  @  07:13 AM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

Sedusa

Aah.. I was startin to think you gave up, Kilo! You were acting so defeatist there for a while.. Well now.. Hehe, when do we start? $10 (Or is that 10 pounds?) a year ain't bad at all.. Can you cash American checks?

Message 14/31             14-Oct-98  @  07:15 AM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

Errata

I'm on...Just let us know where to send and when. Dancetech helped me choose my sampler and I picked up Hammerhead here as well. The 909 samples were worth $10.

Message 15/31             14-Oct-98  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

Richie

Sound as a pound!

Where's the tenner go to?

Message 16/31             14-Oct-98  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

Hilevelt

Congrats, Kilo, "bringing it into the next era of sound...sound....sound....". hmm, if you give out your address for us to mail the cash, won't you be leaving yourself open to dangerous militant female nazis from the outback...?

Message 17/31             14-Oct-98  @  11:01 AM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

i just pay $9 !!!

Holger

Message 18/31             15-Oct-98  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

mbiel

"I'd pay a dollar for that!" Ten bucks no problem.....Mike.

Message 19/31             15-Oct-98  @  01:45 PM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

davidkep

Say Kilo, I'm intrigued with the idea and good for a
tenner, but was wondering; Will you allow any CD's that
aren't dance oriented? We just finished our first and
would like exposure any place possible, but it's more of
a Beatley/folk/70's rock/etc style. It's quite danceable
in places, but no loops or dance like for raves or whatever.

So will other styles be allowed for sale at Dancetech if it's just good music?

-David

Message 20/31             15-Oct-98  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: New DT - the server is up !

JAWA

Show me the money!!!

How'd you want it..... I'd like to post you a cheque for a tenna if that's ok with you mate i'd prefer that to sending me credit detail over the web, call me paranoid an all that.....

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)