aaa What is electronic music? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: What is electronic music?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 06-Apr-04  @  07:00 AM   -   What is electronic music?

casparproject

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

So I'm in the psychology wing of the uni I'm currently attending and a display on the wall catches my eye. The topic is something like "Cognitive function and listening to music." There's also a haphazardly placed pic of one of the Yammie grooveboxes on the page, which made me curious. In the first paragraph, I see what seems to be a very closedminded reference to Baroque classical music vs Techno. They refer to Techno as having "no real harmonic or logical construction." Holy shit, I think, where are these ppl getting this information. They try to back the statement up with another bald assertion "techno music is constructed for the purpose of mimicing industrial noise." The freakiest part is that there are references on this project. I'm going to try to find where they got this info, but this is in a post-graduate psych course. I can't believe they are saying this stuff.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/33             06-Apr-04  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

mcc>

Link?:  No link

just do the music man and get those thoughts outta yer head!!!!

the shit'll be behind you before you know it......that is...if you let it.
do something weird and it'll stick to you for a time.
you don't need that.

Message 12/33             06-Apr-04  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

xoxos

Link?: Link

you will never find such ignorance anywhere as you will within the domain of institutional education, mark my words.

remember - people educate themselves to get careers. careers involve having abilities other people don't have, or at least nurturing the distinction.. if you don't look down on the masses, how are you going to feel right charging them hundreds of dollars for an hour of consultation?

Message 13/33             06-Apr-04  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

dub-munkey

amen to that....at my institution there was more numptys then you could shake a special-school at...

i was quite shocked at the level of ignorance of most of my class.....

best moment? when our american teacher made the mistake of telling us we would all be speaking german if it weren't for yanks like him.....he got caned! the tirade ensued for the rest of the lesson...it were proper bo i tell thee....

greg

Message 14/33             06-Apr-04  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

mandylion (uneducated dropout)

Well at least harmonics in classical music are most of the time way more complex and _evolving_ than in repetitive techno.... also the instruments are more connected in classical music..... i.e. you often hear techno track that has some simple bassline going thru a whole piece without changes while other sounds change on top of that. But it doesn't mean classical would be better music than techno... both have their own functions.

Cheers,
uneducated dropout.  

Message 15/33             06-Apr-04  @  04:59 PM     Edit: 06-Apr-04  |  05:00 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

Steve Roughley

I get the feeling that what they mean by Techno, is all electronic dance music, not just detroit etc. At least that is what it was used to mean when I used to live in NSW (you are in Aus, right Caspar?). Besides, would anyone with such a poor understanding of dance music, ever use the term Techno to actually refer to that genre? So it would be extremely easy to destroy their argument, but what's the point?! The academics would just scoff like diseased frogs. Remember, we are not professors of Psychology.

Steve.

Message 16/33             06-Apr-04  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

battleship

Another interesting thread.

I'd be willing to bet that these exact same arguements were also tossed about when Wolfgang and his bunch were doing their thing. I'm sure they had their share of purists who thought the frivolousness of baroque was crap, but that was all just a matter of perspective, right?

Its too bad the author of this wacky display has confused his perspective with truth. I'm sure we all going to be remembered as artists though, and not brainless munkies like this guy seems to imply. His loss, I say.

Message 17/33             06-Apr-04  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

optofonik

Link?:  Link

I find it odd that an academic treatise would use such a colloquial term as "techno" with no defining exposition. I would like to read the whole thesis or whatever it is. I can understand an argument revolving around the seemingly simple structures used in much popular dance music but a brief looksee into the academic world of ethnomusicalogy would uncover superficial similarities that could lead to the same conclusion about many culturally and academically relevant musics. Attending university does not always lead to enlightenment, however, learning and becoming educated almost certainly does. A good number of the college educated people I meet are surprisingly ignorant with very little education apparent in their behaviour or speech. That is not to say that I am very well educated, I'm not, and one only needs to pick out the holes in some of my more colorful rants to realize this. I do, however, try to learn whatever and whenever I can from available, credible, resources. It's not as easy to find credible resources, howeve, since Miss Cleo's been off the air.

Message 18/33             06-Apr-04  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

RAzz

Id like to add a few past experiences in my research with psychology, mostly from the modern standpoint. Also, im on boths sides of the coin..so to speak.
Having a post-graduate degree in psych, I can hopefully give back to you guys since you have been so giving to me. This one thesis/rambling stating that "techno" ie. 4/4 music
is all crap compared to Bach or whomever is ridiculous. For one, thats like me comparing Einstein to John Nash. Its 2 completely seperate issues. Remember that nowhere in this guys rambling does he say he has a music degree. Or same still, have audio production experience enough to back up his what he says. The 2 biggest sellers in the industry right now, are "techno" and "hip-hop". I would never compare Puff-Daddy to Bach. That ridiculous. Remind yourself that this is one article from one individual.
There are hundreds more articles, that explore the use of the 4/4 beat and why we are drawn to it. I wrote a very lengthy report about this. There are also videos available from various T.V. sources that exhibit club life, and DJ's
and how it effects us biologically. One of the reports showed that the 4/4 beat mimics the biorhythm of the mothers heartbeat within the womb. This induces that "trance" like state, and exhibits that hypnotic effect. It is also indicative of tribal ceremonies. They smoke the peace pipe and eat mushrooms in the woods, and we do it within a building =).
My point and im sorry for rambling is that if the music sucks so much then why is it so popular? I would like to sit that guy down in front of my setup and say..."ok make something not crappy!" or crap on his desk..either one.

Message 19/33             06-Apr-04  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

battleship

Caspar,

I think we're all leaning towards the "crap on his desk" option on this one. That guys an idiot.

Battleship

Message 20/33             07-Apr-04  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

casparproject

Link?: Link

Hmm, I find it interesting that none of you asked what the results of this "study"
were. Interestingly enough, they found that "Techno" was not quite as effective
as "Baroque" though very close to it. Not only did they talk shit in their thesis,
their research showed only enough difference to maybe suggest that the
subjects' familiarity w classical music rather than "Techno" made them more
receptive to "Baroque." I think I'm leaning toward the shit on the desk option,
though I would never have the guts to do it.
Here's my thoughts on the matter. Classical music up until the mid-Romantic
was concerned primarily with harmonic and secondarily with rhythmic patterns
and rules. Starting with composers such as Debussy and Stravinsky Timbre
and Rhythm began to take a more primary (and primal) role in musical
composition. This trend continued through the course of the 20th c until
minimalism, which often made rhythm and or timbre take on the main focus of the
music. With the rise of minimalism there was a sudden break in tradition, where
a focus on sound itself, esp. electronic sound synthesis. Electronic music is a
truly progressive part of musical history, and history will hopefully show that.

Peaceout,

Peter

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)