aaa help hookin-up midi - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: help hookin-up midi

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 22-Mar-04  @  12:17 AM   -   help hookin-up midi

RAzz

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I just bought a lap-top from my friend for cheap, ive always wanted to use one as a dedicated stand alone for synths, sampler etc.
I bought a firewire 410 for it, and now id like to sequence with it as well as with my other units. My problems is im not very good at midi. Here is a run down of my gear, id like to sequence with my mc-505 as the host "clock send" and have the rest just clock up, but not be receiving note signals. Using my s/w sequencer as a realtime recorder.
What should i set these to and how should i hook this up so it all works correctly?

Gear:

mc-505 (host clock)

firewire410 / laptop (synths+ sampler)

Q-rack Triggered by(pcr-30)

Indigo-C

SN2

digi001(pro-tools le)

midiman 4x4

psy and k...you helped me a lot on my last issue just wanted to thank you.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/34             26-Mar-04  @  03:46 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

I dont have cubase k i have pro tools.. =) nah i am using the lappy as a drum machine with reason,absynth2,kontakt. Firewire410 connecting to it, audio from that going stereo into PT. Takin some demand off the cpu. Im guessing it would be best if i used digi as a host sequencer, and forget the 505 for now. Id like to host PT, and sync up the laptop, as well as the synths with PT. That may be best what do you think?

Message 12/34             26-Mar-04  @  07:25 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

mcc>

computer sequencers are preferable because you can access most menus and parameters much more effortlessly than hardware sequencers due to their limited graphical interface.
if cpu demand is a major issue maybe you can acquire a cheaper pc to send clock to and thusly able to sync both machines with fewer limitations as to what you can run with them.
as for how old we are....well....we're old enough to know you can't buy a milion things like computers and hardware sequencers AND viruses supernovas AND kontakt AND absynth AND pro-tools and whatever you can shake a stick and expect people to come tell you how you hook it altogether....because you're new at it.
i mean you can but......definitely expect the odd snicker now and then.

my suggestion would be to figure out which sequencer you're going to use and learn how to hook up one piece of gear at a time.

Message 13/34             26-Mar-04  @  08:00 AM     Edit: 26-Mar-04  |  08:05 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

psylichon

Link?: Link

jesus christ, clay, shut up. Not every post requires a life lesson.

Razz, I'm a bit unclear as to what you use the 505 for at all, if only host clock? If that's the case then yeah, you'd be much better off using PT as your master clock. If you prefer sequencing with the 505, then there is a way you can use it in conjunction with PT, getting clock from PT, but still sequencing with your 505.

Won't go into it if this isn't your intention, so let me know.

And clay, i still love ya man... but shut up

Message 14/34             26-Mar-04  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

psy i would like to host from PT, and have everything sync together. Forget the 505 for now as im gonna use reason(laptop) mostly as my drum machine. My main question really was do you guys sync everything up before recording audio in PT or do you edit it later to make it sync together. My asking this stems from my liking to record live sometimes. i'll run all machines together...bang out some crap..as well as some really tight mixes, but before i didnt have the means to record them. They just got thrown out the window so to speak. understand? I like the flow of mixing live...gets me into it more..
and going back later, erasing the junk and piecing together the good stuff now with the use of PT. Am i the only one who likes to do this?

Message 15/34             26-Mar-04  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

cydonia cell

Wow, that's a much easier question

yes, I sync everything when I'm recording... because some clocks are better than others... and it's a big ASSED pain when you find that some "synced" delays are not quite in sync!

and I always edit a loop in sound forge to be sure there's no silence at the beginning of it, that way all of my loops are tight and in time with one another.

does that help at all?

e

Message 16/34             26-Mar-04  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

nice..ok so im not crazy. Thanx cydonia. Now as for syncing up this stuff, i would run PT (out) into( in) of the midman 4x4 then (out) from M-man to each one of my pieces.
firewire410,virus and nova? is that right?

could i just cut and splice the audio, and change it to 1 bar..to fit correctly or is that not as accurate a method?

Message 17/34             26-Mar-04  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

cydonia cell

you got it for the MIDI...

you could cut and splice, but you'd want to be careful.

there's a bit of technique that goes into knowing where to cut and all of that. it comes with time. that's why theres a market for sample cd's that are pre edited for loops... it's not always easy. but you've got the right idea.

e

Message 18/34             26-Mar-04  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

Link?: Link

Laptop's USB to 4x4

SN in/out on MIDI port 1

MC505 in/out on MIDI port 2

Indigo in/out on MIDI port 3

Q in/out on MIDI port 4

With each piece having a dedicated MIDI port you can use your hardware live as long as PT allows you to sequence multiple tracks simultaneously. By routing within PT you will also be able to use any particular piece as a controller for the others. The "Q" being a rack mount unit is of course the only exception to any of this.

If you prefer to start a track on the MC505 then all you need to do is sync it up with PT using either as the master although it would seem to make more sense to use PT as you clock source after you have the MC505's portion of the track sequenced. At this point it wouldn't be a bad idea to record the MC505's sequence into PT's sequencer - it would work as a backup and allow you to use PT's MIDI editing capabilities. Again, for live work all you need to do is set up PT to multi-record and go crazy.

For the audio side of things, get a 4-buss mixer with as many channels as you have outputs on your synths plus another few channels for future expansion. You can choose to use the mic preamps on the 410 and run stereo out of the mixer into the 410's line inputs or use the mixer's preamps and use all four busses on the mixer to run out to the 410. A patchbay would be a very good inexpensive investment.

Message 19/34             26-Mar-04  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

I see the light...thanx guys.

Message 20/34             27-Mar-04  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

* compulsary

"because I LIKE IT! and I CAN!"

implacable logic

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)