aaa Free Software Sampler - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Free Software Sampler

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 06-Jun-98  @  05:20 AM   -   Shameless Plug

GreenMan

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Shameless plug...but at least it's not for me. Check at the Software Sampler at http://www.signum.it/1100/1100.htm, FREE BETA. I am already using this thing every day in production. It's a detailed copy of the Akai S1000. 16 part multi, DirectX 5 sound, multiple output support, full Midi received, Midi Time Code / SMPTE stream support, and a shit load of other features. And the author Luca is as cool as hell (say hello to him).

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/35             09-Jun-98  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

jason.craig

My problem with it is when I try to enter the original
pitch for any sample but the first in a program it won't goto the c4 type display it just goes to 60 then blank then 256 (this is when I click the parm button to toggle the different types of display). So really I can only have one sample/keygroup for a program 'cause I can't get it to play a high or low keygroup/sample properly.

Any suggestions?
Thanx
Jason

Message 12/35             10-Jun-98  @  04:59 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

Where are you trying to enter this original pitch infomation?? What screen...and subscreen are you on.

Try this...

Select EDIT PROGRAM

GO to the [KGRP], then [SMP1], this is the screen to display and change velocity zones (Triggering samples based on how hard you hit the keys), among other things.

You should see your sample loaded in the first field. Tab through the fields until you get to the PITCH field. R-Mouse click, and make sure you have TRACK selected. This, as opposed to CONST, will track your sample pitchwise up and down the keyboard. CONST means constant (original) pitch, regardless of assigned midi note number. These two settings are very important aspects of setting-up multi samples.

Next, the span (lo and high range) of MIDI notes numbers (keys) that will effectively trigger your loaded sample can be set from this screen or by selecting [KGRP], [SPAN].

(1) From this screen [SMP1], keep hitting tab until the first midi note-number field, in the upper-left most corner of the screen, is selected. Now change this value (use arrow keys up/dwn) until it is set at the lowest MIDI note number you wish to use, say #60 or C_3. Hit tab once and use the arrow keys again to set the highest, again in this case #60 or C_3. Now your sample will only trigger on this pitch of C_3 (note number 60). Load up a different sample {PROGRAM) by going to File/New Program..., set it to the same MIDI channel. Go through the above process, but just use a different Midi note number (say #61)...Eh??? The start of a 909 KIT.

(2) From the [KGRP], [SPAN] screen. This is cool as the vertical line in the box on the left will change with your settings giving instant feedback showing overlaps, etc. Hit tab until you are in the LOW field. Arrow up/down to change (watch the vert line move!!) to tab once and arrow up/down to set your HIGH pitch. Continue as above to load-up the next sample. The fields in this screen display note numbers, and they should be displaying Pitch letters as in the above screen [SMP1]. I have a note in to the author on this and many other little cosmetic changes.

Hope this helps...

Message 13/35             10-Jun-98  @  05:06 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

GREENMAN

BTW...This was all done from the DISPLAY mode (Close-up), no need to toggle back and forth...I can't be bothered to be switching back and forth, just to set field values with the CURSOR and DATA knobs. They are cool as shit looking and are fun to play with, but for serious data entry, stay in the close-up DISPLAY mode and use R-Mouse button and the arrow keys...

Message 14/35             11-Jun-98  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

jason.craig

Greenman,

I have no problem doing the program setup like you have mentioned above. My problem is in the edit sample setup.
I have a program with 3 key spans 1 = 24 - 57,2 = 58 - 95, 3 = 96 - 128. Ok now I assign 3 samples to these sample A to kgrp 1, B to Kgrp 2, C to Kgrp 3. Now if I play these B will sound ok because it was sampled at c4 and when transposed a little it still sounds ok. BUT A & C have both been transposed so much that they are unusable. So I goto the Edit Sample page (ES). From here I goto [ED.2] I right click and choose sample C or A. Now I press tab once and am in the Original Pitch field. The values here can be displayed in two ways note #'s or the c-4,c-3 way. These options are changed by pressing F5 or clicking the [parm]
button. When I first get to this field it says 256 (which I don't know what it stands for since there are only 128 keys as specified in the [KGRP],[SPAN] pages. So I press F5 or click [parm] and they feild goes blank? I click again and it goes back to 256. I want the display to goto the c-4 type but it never comes up. I've even tried going to [slct] change samples and then back to [ED.2] but nope. I'm using the Free Beta May 98 Release. I don't remember the old beta having this prob.   So if you could help that would be great.

Also how well does This program stay in sync? Fruitloops doesn't seem to do it well but rebirth isn't too bad.

BTW: do you like skinny puppy.  

Jason

Message 15/35             11-Jun-98  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

Ahhhh...This is a BUG...

Do this...highlite the number 256 in the original pitch field with your mouse cursor...and using the number keypad on your keyboard, RETYPE the midi note numbers. Also, selecting different types of playback (LOOP IN RELEASE, PLAY SAMPLE TILL END)can fuck up this original pitch field, by placing different values (256, 95, etc.) into it...Just highlite the values and retype the correct numbers...You can also display the note pitch (C_1, C_#1, etc.) by clicking on [PARM] as you have discovered...I have just send your note to the author...you're right this wasn't a problem with the last version...I think this work-around will help.

Timing seems to be dead on...I have used the S1100dx Sampler in several recordings, and haven't had a problem with drift. But it's always better to retrigger a sample (say drum loop) every 4 beats than to let 'em run 8 measures or so...the SMPTE option on the S1000dx will ensure that sync remains PERFECT...just set your sequencer to sent Midi Time Code (MTC, 25 frames is the standard for music).

What sequencing program are you using?

Who's Skinny Puppy? A SKA band, right? Send me somewhere on the Net to hear a demo of them...And I'll get back to you on that... 

Thanks for reporting your problems...let us know if this doesn't work.

Message 16/35             19-Jun-98  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

jason craig

Hey Greenman

Yeah the suggestions worked, but the new version has it fixed. BUT I have a new small problem. My sequencer is Cakewalk and I have two sound cards. A Gravis Ultrasound ace (512k mem :0 ) and a Yamaha OPLSA-3 |P. So when I start Signum's sampler I would like it to use the Direct X Oplsa3 and let cakewalk use the wave out of the Ace to run multiple wave tracks & it's wavetable. But when i start up the sampler it initializes the Ace and won't let go of it. I'll load a program that doesn't use it and I don't have it as the record source. Also I don't have it selected in the Win95 multimedia sources (wave 'n midi). Any suggestions?

Message 17/35             20-Jun-98  @  02:32 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

I have a note into Luca addressing just this. As per the current Beta, I don't think releasing soundcards for other programs is yet available...But it should be soon...Thanks again for all of your input...

Message 18/35             25-Jun-98  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

I'm bringing this thread to the top as so many inquires to my e-mail have been requesting information...with this program and your PC, you'll never need another sampler...

be patient...download the Manual from AKAI's web site and learn a little every day http://www.akai.com/akaipro/manuals.html
...you'll be amazed at the capabilities of this program...

Message 19/35             27-Jun-98  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

/\\/E/\/E

Now, I use Reality, which I think is pretty awesome, still. It has filters, different types of synthesis, aswell as great sample mapping abilities. Giga sampler has also been released recently which lets you load S1000/3000 CD Roms from the CD Rom in your PC.

Greenman, what are the S1100x's main advantages over these 2, apart from having separate outputs?

Message 20/35             29-Jun-98  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

GREENMAN,

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)