aaa Dancetech Compilation Cd Project - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 11-Dec-03  @  11:28 PM   -   Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

CydoniaCell

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Dancetech Compilation Cd Project Update
Overview
At the beginning of this collaboration a handful of the users at the Dancetech site gathered together as an idea to help supply funding to the Dancetech Administration for the effort and care that we all take at least somewhat for granted. We decided there wasn’t a better contribution to the site that we could make than to donate our own music. But rather than be a selection of tracks donated by those of us who were in contact with one another it was decided that we would reach deep into the Dancetech resources and build a representation of the music on the site as our collection. The goal was to put together a double CD of music representing the diversity and creativity of the site users. It would be decorated, described and compiled by the users and released in a limited fashion as a retail product. This may include distribution, which will be looked at more closely when we have a product to distribute, but will at least include sales on the website and distribution on a local level by those involved in the project. 50% of the benefits (money) from the project would be donated to Dancetech as a thank you for all of the work the site has seen over the years and to help defray the costs absorbed by the Admin for the service. A portion of the money gathered by the project would be used to possibly fund future printings or a future compilation with the remainder possibly being distributed to the individual artists appearing on the compilation.
Track Selection and the Artists
Since the initial idea was developed we have made some headway in seeing this project to the light of day. A general call went up to the Dancetech forums to those who were interested in listening to the vast collection of music on the site. We had a wealth of respondents who wanted to participate and Admin at Dancetech gave us the use of some private forums for developing the track list. Many users took the time to listen and vote for their favorite tracks. These votes were then compiled into a list of top tracks. This list is the basis for the tracks that will be included on the compilation. The final list was posted on the Dancetech forums so that those who were not involved with voting for the tracks would still know where we were and who was on the list.
The music on the CD is based on tracks uploaded at Dancetech. Therefore there will be some changes to the list as attempts are made to contact each artist. We do not intend to use any track which has not been approved for use by the artist for this project. To that end a quality recording (not MP3) will be needed from each artist to present it for the mixing and mastering phase of the project (see below).
The use of samples in a track will also be an issue as any track containing samples which have not been cleared for use will necessarily be excluded from the compilation for obvious legal reasons. Contacting each artist is an ongoing effort, and a simple legal document is being drafted to ensure that everyone involved is protected by a formal agreement. It should be clear that the collaboration team has no intent whatsoever to control an artist’s ability to use their work in any way. The team is made up of musicians, many who will be represented on the compilation. Every effort will be made to minimize the impact of the necessary legal issues from the outset.
Artwork, Layout and Presentation
Several Dancetech users have come forward to donate their design and concept ideas and skills to the project. A final decision is still pending regarding the artwork to be used on the cover. This is mostly due to the fact that the selection of options presented were all of real quality and diversity. The look of this CD cover and the content of its liner notes promise to be exceptional. Dancetech has a wealth of graphic artist and layout knowledge at its disposal.
In addition to the cover art a CD’s presentation comes upon hearing the product in question. A member of the Dancetech crew has offered to donate his considerable skills in production and mastering to complete this project and help bring value to the recording as a whole. He will be providing mixing and mastering services to tie the tracks on the CD together and improve the overall product.
As mentioned above the compilation will be a two CD set representing a cross section of the Dancetech community. Since there are several genres of music represented at the site, and such a wide range of quality music, the double CD fast became a necessity if we were to properly represent all Dancetech has to offer. The order in which the tracks will appear is still being determined, this is an imperfect science due to the diversity of music being represented.
Conclusion
So the tracks have been determined. Several of the artists are aware of their selection in this process. A legal agreement allowing the team to use the tracks for a recording is being devised. Artwork is under selection and the liner notes are being written. It was the hope of the team to have this product ready for the Christmas season. This may not be possible anymore, but the project is still very much on track and moving forward, and promises to be a success.
We all have jobs, music and families to occupy our time but working on this project is important to everyone involved. A small handful of users have kept this project alive and moving forward and for their efforts they should at least be applauded. It is important for every one at Dancetech to recognize that this project benefits Dancetech first. And those who have pushed this project forward have done so due to their fondness for the community of artists present at the site.

e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/35             13-Dec-03  @  02:58 AM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

Defector Z

Link?: Link

I'm not on either. :-(

Message 12/35             13-Dec-03  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

PB

Link?:  No link

Is it too late to add tracks? if not, i suggest adding Def-z. Him and Sitar's Wunderchild (That's such an amazing song - i don't know why that wasn't added!)

Message 13/35             13-Dec-03  @  06:29 AM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

Influx

nobody selected it...

actually a bit surprised myself. I think we're past the track selection thing...

but...thats not necessarily true

Message 14/35             13-Dec-03  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

k

Link?:  Link

I had a listen the other night - not bad - Psy's opener on one of them is superb!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/35             13-Dec-03  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

xoxos

i'm flattered, but c'mon! i don't make dance music! happy to mail a hifi wherever but hows about postponing me until the 'dancetech comp for homes for the elderly' ??

Message 16/35             13-Dec-03  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

xoxos

you know what you should do is find out who the fuck registered as 'hi hero' and u/l'ed a track 'dirty bomb' (think it's gone now) that track was #@((*@&$ pretty good

Message 17/35             13-Dec-03  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

Defector Z

Hey - these tracks were voted on. Don't change it just because I'm not on there - noone owes me shit. I'm just disappointed is all.

Message 18/35             14-Dec-03  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

xoxos

why be disappointed? don't i demonstrate for you enough that opinions are nothing but piss? now surrender your beemer and cute little paddle and forget about

Message 19/35             14-Dec-03  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

Defector Z

It's the other way around with you rurik.

Message 20/35             14-Dec-03  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Compilation Cd Project

sitar

Typical sitar. I can't seem to get to the compilations using the search function.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)