aaa Over produced? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Over produced?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 16-Sep-03  @  11:32 PM   -   Over produced?

Defector Z

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

So I'm listening to a cd from a local rock/blues artist (www.jenkearney.com - hell of a voice) - and I extracted the audio and did some analysis. Now, I'm no expert producer, but I've been around. Seems a little oversquashed to me - the RMS is around -10db which seems excessive for this type of music - it totally squashes out her voice, and steals some of the natural dynamics. Seems like the producer did a little too much.

Although I will say, she is one of the best songwriters I've heard in a LONG time.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/37             17-Sep-03  @  01:19 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

Boo

Link?:  Link

It all just becomes white noise in the end. Scary.

Just by looking at the middle waveform, I can guess that the track in the middle is that famous Ricky Martin song.

Message 12/37             17-Sep-03  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

Defector z

Are you suggesting that my hero, Ricky Martin, is square? Shame on you. MILLIONS of girls CAN'T be wrong...

Message 13/37             17-Sep-03  @  01:40 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

Boo

Link?:  Link

No, he's uber cool! According to his waveform, he's right up there with Metal and Gabba!

Awesome!

We should either stop compressing our stuff or compress it again and again. Has anybody tried applying overall compression to something, say, 7 times in a row? How would THAT sound?

I'm guessing it would sound KICKASSAWESOME and then some.

Message 14/37             17-Sep-03  @  03:14 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

psylichon

Link?: Link

yes, I have.

The thing is, people are just overcompressing on the main mix buss or mastering entirely too much. If you want your mix to really be that loud, you need to carefully compress and automate individual tracks to maximize your mix energy at every moment. I'm not saying that sounds best, but it sounds a whole hell of a lot better than square waves all over the map.

I agree that shit is entirely too compressed nowadays. It sounds great for some rock and heavy electronic shit, but otherwise, let the instruments SPEAK!

psy

p.s. speaking of mastering i learned a GREAT new trick the other day at work that is blowing my mind. All I'll say now is that is has to do with MS matrixing. I'm working on an article, so stay tuned...

Message 15/37             17-Sep-03  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

mcc>

math class can be cool sometimes.

Message 16/37             17-Sep-03  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

d

yeah that's all well and good but does anyone know how I can set a compressor to get this nylon string guitar to REALLY PUMP!! ?

Message 17/37             17-Sep-03  @  05:20 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

psy

lol!!

Message 18/37             17-Sep-03  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

Whoooahh!

Pumping Nylon? Is THAT a new genre???

I got this phat ass tambourine shuffle that just BITES YOUR ASS with it's WICKED BOUNCE. I compressed it at 5:4:1 11 times and I'm STILL NOT done with IT yet.

Message 19/37             17-Sep-03  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: Over produced?

milan

Link?: Link

MS matrix? wouldnt have anything to do with regulating bass levels by any chance?

Message 20/37             17-Sep-03  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: Over produced?

psy

[touches nose and points at milan] yer on the right track, my friend...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)