aaa Hooj Choons Closes! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Hooj Choons Closes!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 18-Sep-03  @  04:16 PM   -   Hooj Choons Closes!

stilla punter

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Dear Hooj person,

It is with deep regret that we have to inform you that Hooj Choons, as we
know it, is no more. Following two years of fairly horrendous financial
struggle, during which time we fought to trade our way out of mounting
debt problems, we've had to call in the professionals to resolve matters
once and for all.

Naturally, this has come about as a direct result of: Sept 11/ any middle
eastern conflict you care to name/ downloading/ the slump in the global
economy/ music industry/ dance music industry... No, the truth is that as
distinguished labels, clubs and magazines shut down around us, we failed
to react quickly or effectively enough to what was going on. We thought
we'd seen this happen before, and could work our way out of it, but this
was a different kind of slump.

It feels like we should write some kind of mini - obituary for Hooj at
this point, but maybe everything that needs to be remembered about us is
out there already: a hundred and thirty six releases spanning 13 years,
all of them, for better or for worse, trying to live up to our original
aim of remaining 'occasional providers of half decent house'.

(Key members of staff will be carrying on the work of hooj.com, one of the
few beacons of hope amongst the gloom of recent times, under a new name
and ownership. Please see separate Hooj.com statement for details at the
top of the message board).

Its been a long, and until recently, enjoyable ride and we thank everyone
for their support over the past twelve years.

Yours,

The Hooj Mob

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/37             18-Sep-03  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

errata

my point is, People do still want to listen! Just not as many as 3 years ago... the "scene" needs this! Aren't we all the same people who bitched and moaned when Underground trax started playing in movies and on car commercials? Well, there you go, we're getting what we wanted.

Not a moment too soon. Yeah it sucks that lables (and more-so the people who depend on their income from them) have to fold. It sucks that clubs are closing, etc... but, hell... it's cathartic guys.

It's not going to die, this is just trimming the fat... and that's GOOD!

e

Message 12/37             19-Sep-03  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

dubmunkey

of course dance music isn't dead- people going back to guitars? puh-leeze the current crop of guitar widdlers must be the most uninspiring lot-

i play guitar, love all my guitar bands but the currrent crop of shit (read mid-90's onwards) really made me turn my head to where my other interests lied...ie in dance and hip hop....and whilst both those scene are still serving up fresh tunes today the guitar shit is just pale...

greg

Message 13/37             19-Sep-03  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

Steve Roughley

Yeah, this is a purely commercial shift, as these things allways have been since the birth of the 'Chart'. Aint nuttin to worry about. And will probably be most beneficial to the music.

Steve.

Message 14/37             19-Sep-03  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

imola

I would like to thank Hooj Choons for making available two of my all-time favorite releases:

Energy 52 "Cafe Del Mar"
Lost Tribe "Gamemaster"

You made life that much sweeter.

Thank you.

Message 15/37             19-Sep-03  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

ducale

I think The Darkness have contributed more to music than any "dance" act over the last 2 years.

Message 16/37             19-Sep-03  @  01:21 PM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

seantyas

Link?: Link

Only problem here is, a lot of people in the industry and not on the industry don't consider Hooj to be part of the "fat"...

I hope you guys are 100% correct in saying that essentially it's this scene's "reload time".

Dont know how many people here watch Comedy Central, but yesterday's Daily Show had a really funny bit about the RIAA and its lawsuits... And it's stance really seemed to be poking fun at the people who download all this music, and when asked about it, deny they knew what they were doing  .. Granted the 1st case, the 12 year old girl, was a bit young, but it really takes effort to make 1,000 songs available from your computer. Her statement was even funnier: "I am sorry for what I have done. I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love"... Was she thinking that it would help further their careers by downloading and redistributing the music to her friends and strangers?

Sorry, had to vent, my goals involve being able to make music to be my income, not even to get rich, but enough to do it all day as a career. With these unregulated services up, none of us are looking at a career in music anytime soon. In fact, all these labels shutting down means people actually losing their careers in music.

Message 17/37             19-Sep-03  @  01:34 PM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

mcc>

personally i've always been against redistrubution of works not intended by the artist to be free. dt is free music....and is intended to be so.

there's a big difference between what we're doing and what the huge file-swapping community is doing.
i hope there's no confusion there.

Message 18/37             19-Sep-03  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

dubmunkey

i must i was mislead by 'the darkness' name......got my hopes up and all that....shame...

greg

Message 19/37             19-Sep-03  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

seantyas

Link?: Link

nono, i wasnt talkin about dt at all...

Think about it this way. Think about your favorite artists... whoever they may be, whatever genre.

if i had to guess, at least 60% of them are listening to their tracks from downloaded mp3s...

Message 20/37             19-Sep-03  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: Hooj Choons Closes!

R.A.T.

Errata:

"I remember when this stuff wasn't cool, interesting or popular... I remember when a big party was one hundred kids in a warehouse, where we didn't belong! I remember when the music was live, and the people were interesting, and SMART!!!! I remember when frat boys didn't want to f+ck raver chicks... when they beat up raver kids... when it was common to find hippies, like from the sixties, at a party. I remeber when the scene wasn't all over billboards, car commercials and soda cans! I remember when we did this for one another, not ourselves... "

America seems like a strange place..... apart from the warehouse bit, which kicked off years before in the UK, wtf is the rest of it ? Beating up raver kids ? didn't want to fuck raver chicks ? hippies at parties ?

UK late 80's, early 90's, Rave was the thing which reduced violence, almost stopped football hooliganism, and had loadsa raver girles in skimpy clothes waiting to be boned.

WTF America ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)