aaa The Posers leave the floor... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The Posers leave the floor...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 09-Sep-03  @  02:12 AM   -   The posers leave the floor...

Boo

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1026308,00.html

Anybody get hurt by this apart from the Super Clubs and the Magazines?

Sorts the wheat from the Chaff, I suppose...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/37             09-Sep-03  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

Link?: Link

Dave, I agree about the egos but its too easy, if you have the ability and the gear, to lock yourself away and forget how to interact in an ensemble setting. It really is the perfect example of the potentially depersonalizing nature of technology. Why "deal" with bandmates when I can do it all by myself. Some of the best music comes from the ebb and flow of conflict, reconciliation, and compromise, though. The music in situations like that have the potential to become a mirror of the human dynamics in an ensemble and thereby a mirror of the human condition.

Message 12/37             09-Sep-03  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

Boo

Everybody should use Ableton live. It's my favorite thing.

Message 13/37             09-Sep-03  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

xoxos

"...and thereby a mirror of the human condition."

this is your aspiration, is it?  

Message 14/37             09-Sep-03  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

errata

Link?:  No link

thanks xoxos...

You see... I don't personaly want to display the human condition in music. What I love most about electronic music is the lack of ego that comes from playing it. I mislike lyrics because they dictate how you're going to feel and they are usualy some banal, individual "everyone's a snowflake" expression of selfish desire and emotional discharge! I've soooooo fuggin' had it with this pedantic self important notion of the "artist"!!!

Techno (generalization, hehehe) is grand because it is not about a group of musicians doing this convential group display for a conventional group of hipsters... it's about moving your body, following the mind, and just being in the music. EVERYTHING at dance parties is about those three things! F=ck all this bullshit about evolving electronic music into some new and abstract place! Yes the music will change, and it should... but the problem with techno (all the genre's) IS in the DJ and this superstar notion that glorifies his act as a rock star!

Now we want to drag this wasted JAZZ ideal into it? Great, just what we need... more egocentric, self vomitous masturbation! Hoo-rah!

As this "popularity" fades, we will see more people who believe in the music as more than entertainment... and more "artists" who view themselves as a part of something (and equal to the other parts) rather than the purpose of the thing itself! These parties should never have been about any one "thing"... that's not how they started, and it's WHY the "scene" is collapsing, because those who built it have, for the most part walked away form the bullshit!

e

Message 15/37             09-Sep-03  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

influx

yeah but e theres two sides to it, no? I mean..you had a partner for a long time...the interaction there formed your music differently than if you had done it on your own.

Micks got a point with the depersonalization thing. I mean...jesus...I spend about 95% of my time completely alone! and a lot of that is cuz of messin with tunes, or just tech in general.

my prob, I know...but the point is there

Message 16/37             09-Sep-03  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

errata

I'm not knocking working with other people... yeah, the music my partner and I made together was different and in many ways better than what I do on my own BECAUSE it was more than one person (not nearly as self-indulgent, so to speak). But that's not what I'm on my soap-box about.

It's more this notion that electronic music NEEDS to somehow be made in a traditional live form to please widdening, balding, aging ravers who are settling into their easy chairs and are less willing to challenge pre-conceived notions of what music is, and what it isn't. "Ah, it's not music 'cause it doesn't require a gang of people to play each part!" Like Moby and the other idiots who bring back-up bands and play "cross-over" music so that Jay Leno will take them seriously!

What I'm railing about here is that the music is about the music, and the people... not the "artist/s" and that's what's f+cked up dance music in the last few years... too many assholes who don't get that. And this notion that the form will only remain viable if "artisits" become MORE centered on themselves by branching out into becaoming these live acts made up of music professors that play crazy Jazz shit for the adoration of their audience just makes me shiver. Maybe I completely misunderstood, but that's what I see in this notion that electronic music needs to become more of a traditional "band" form, with people "playing" the parts of trax, etc.

It's wonderful, that one or two people can lay down beats, move the body and trip the mind. Making a spectacle of those guys is the problem not the solution!

e

Message 17/37             09-Sep-03  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

Boo

I am agreeing with Errata. Yes.

Message 18/37             09-Sep-03  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

"this is your aspiration, is it?"

Heh heh, got me. Did your meter go totally into the red on that one?

Fuck the human condition, okay. There is a vast body of work out there, ready to be listened to, appreciated, and influenced by and it encompasses more that DJ Twit and his Twitching Digits playing hackneyed dross for a bunch of DJ Twit clones who think they have a clue because they own an Autobahn CD (that they've played once). As far as "academics" go if it weren't for them we would all be playing electric guitar instead of synths. I think its sad that most people who listen to "electronic music" today have never listened to anything that was created prior to the mid 70's. Its like an aspiring writer who refuses to read anything but Stephen King.

Message 19/37             09-Sep-03  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

errata

hahaha... that's fine. I do listen, and appreciate! My point is not to bash on academics.. i agree with you that without them we'd not have synth music... BUT... that doesn't mean that dance music needs to follow their example or their lot. There's a place for such business... I have real respect for and enjoy the electronic "art" scene. I just don't think it needs to be where dance music goes, I personaly feel that's the wrong direction. Making the "art" and the "artist" even more pretentious will kill the "community" vibe that made dance music in the first place. I'm saying, the performer (that's us) shouldn't be put on a pedestal...

I'm not rejecting you or your ideas (or anything for that matter) out of hand... there's a place, and a time for these things... i just don't personaly think the dancefloor is that place or that time!

blah

e

Message 20/37             10-Sep-03  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

influx

"I think its sad that most people who listen to "electronic music" today have never listened to anything that was created prior to the mid 70's. Its like an aspiring writer who refuses to read anything but Stephen King. "

mick..Im sorry man, but...I just cant agree with you. Not everyone got into it to feel like they were going to school. and not having listened to cage or walter/wendy doesnt mean jack shit.

I mean...I got into punk in the early 80s...the 2nd wave I guess? Was I not genunine because I didnt go listen to the stooges? New York Dolls? the people that influenced them?

bullshit.

I understand where youre coming from, and I agree that a revitalizing needs to occur. But...not the same one youre talkin about. Im diggin erratas take on it just a bit more. Remove the rock star stuff...

oh, and...youre baggin on "DJ Twit, et al" but..what about all those experimental ers from back then who just sat and made a bunch of fkking noise, played for a bunch of fkking bourgeoise "hipsters" to sit and gawk over and try to find meaning in? at least dance music is for DANCING and letting lose, not trying to show how tricky you are (well crap...new breakbeat stuff is goin that way in some ways with all the stupid computer trickery...)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)