aaa Monitor speakers - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Monitor speakers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 04-Sep-03  @  06:51 PM   -   Monitor speakers

djsolsticeforever

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hello, i need to get some monitor speakers as at the mo im just using standard hifi speakers which have ok bass but im pretty sure they don't have the same frequency range and clarity that monitors do.
Im wondering what to get though. Im prolly thinking of spending like £300 or somink like that. Is it good to go for actives rather than passive. I do have an amp already (technics SU V 500) but the o/p are in the block binder form where u inser bare wire, would this be a problem at all if using proper monitors and also the amp would it be good enough to by pass active's.
My mind keeps wandering over to those new sky blue monitors but well, they are £999.
Im using them mainly to produce dance music and rnb style if that helps at all.
Also i think i'll get some stands too so i can arrange them so that im in that typical equalateral triangle position.
What do u think.
Scott

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/41             06-Sep-03  @  11:30 PM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Defector z

Link?:  No link

The only criticism I've heard of the Tannoys is that they don't have a particularly strong low end. Otherwise, very crisp and clear.

Please note - the stated freq response range from the manufacturer tends be a little misleading. The best thing to do is take your favorite cd (that you know the sound of) to a store and listen to them.

Message 12/41             07-Sep-03  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

milan

Link?: Link

The Mix now gives away practically all of its content for free via its website?? thank you for bringing that to my attention. that rag is seriously expensive over here.

Message 13/41             07-Sep-03  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

mick

"The Mix" and "Mix Magazine" are two different publications.

Message 14/41             07-Sep-03  @  01:34 AM   -   monitor speakers

Dj Solstice (can't b arsed signing in)

Right, i have been thinking. U know that there are two reveal tannoy ones, one about £175 passive and the other about twice this as active.
Do u think that these speakers are exactly the same as far as electroics are concerned. My amp is a technics one standard which powers my hifi as well as my pc sound to some hi-fi speakers.
The amp is never excelled into the high region anyways for high sound. Do u think that the would be a noticable difference upon using the amp on the passive ones as opposed to the active ones.

My minds wandering back over to those alesis ones now m1 mk2's. Hmm i really am stck for choice.

I wonder what would happen if i slipped and spent £850 instead.
SOlli

Message 15/41             07-Sep-03  @  02:03 PM     Edit: 07-Sep-03  |  02:07 PM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

BluStudio

im not massively qualified to answer this but, although ive never a/b'ed amped passives and actives ive always read that actives with the manafacturs amped set-up will always sound better than mixed amped passives.

it makes sense when you think about it, but mebbe someone better qualified will throw something in after this.

if you had the money id just go the safe option of actives, but im kinda lazy like that.

blu

Message 16/41             07-Sep-03  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

influx

Link?:  Link

well...the logic is that the amps are matched to the speakers, but I dont buy that...not in "low end" systems at least

BUT..having an internal amp reduces cabling, mechanics, etc.

I like biamped

Message 17/41             08-Sep-03  @  05:24 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Tyson77

best low-end: MAudio BX5s. If you A/B these with Alesis M1 MKIIs then you would prefer them for sure. Don't get the BX8s though.

In the upper end go KRK V8s man. Or V6s for less money. THese are more accurate than you could imagine. I was once in a training session w/ a room full V8s, 20/20s, and HR824s, five of each w/ matching subs for surround. V8s took the cake. Stay away from the Mackie titanium tweeter stuff unless your a fan of ear fatigue.

Message 18/41             08-Sep-03  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

solli

whats wrong with the bx8's then

Message 19/41             08-Sep-03  @  09:00 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

milan

mackies and ear fatigue? damn, been listaning on them each day every day for the past few years and havent noticed any. do you think my ears will be fucked now :/

Message 20/41             08-Sep-03  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

milan

listening too

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)