aaa Dying Scenes - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Dying Scenes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 03-Oct-98  @  06:23 PM   -   Dying Scenes

Rouge

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I've just noticed that Big-Beat had 'died' and so has Speed Garage. What's the 'next big thing'?
I need to cash in before its too late.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/42             05-Oct-98  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Richie

Sometimes the problem of getting-used-to or bored of the style of music you are writing can be attributed to a crappy stereo/monitors or crap headphones... It's amazing how the music can suddenly sound alive just by changing or upgrading these bits of kit... Or even just by making sure you have the speakers in the correct position..

Message 12/42             05-Oct-98  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

One thing my daddy taught me is that you have to have good sounding equipmet, other wise the sound will never satisfy you, and speak to you, thus you won't be drawn to listen or create. The one thing I've never skimped on is stuff that sounds good. If I had something that sounded like shit, I put it down and never picked it up again, because it couldn't satisfy my desire, and just wasted my time. If it spoke to me I kept, and probably still have it and use it to this day. Try a set of Digital Designs monitors, and a used Bryston amp. The speakers are hand built by a little company in Oklahoma,and they are as good as it gets, lab quality, yet still very affordable. The amp speaks for itself. They will let you know how you really sound. Good luck!
Ape

Message 13/42             05-Oct-98  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

How much are these monitors? I thought monitors made your stuff sound like shite? What about the Spirit series of monitors such as Absolute Two's or 4P's?

Message 14/42             05-Oct-98  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

kilo

rouge mate, if it's straight multi-track your after (with no midi or midi sync), I cant see the problem, get sawplus, and an 8 out card like the Darla..... simple.... if you want midi to... that'll cost a bit more..... what's the deal you're after.... ?

Message 15/42             05-Oct-98  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

I've got SawPlus and VST. Its all the parameters that piss me off!

Message 16/42             05-Oct-98  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

... because I tend to spend so long scrolling thru the menu's to see why nothing is recording. And I want MIDI too, I use my Terratec as a sampler. The music I make now is a lot different to the standard bog-rock I used to make. BTW, they're Radium's. Monkey Boy.???

Message 17/42             06-Oct-98  @  08:51 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Purple Haze

Don't try to sit behind those machines every day, feeling guilty for spending all that money and not using them, just take a break for a while... Don't listen to music in 'your style', just turn on the radio or ask to borrow some cd's from friends.
That's what works for me anyways...

Message 18/42             06-Oct-98  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

horizens

whenever i get tired of writing, i usually try and switch up instruments. even if i can't play them as well as my keyboards or drums. my girlfriend gave me a digeridu and it's the most fun i've had in a while. it takes my mind off of the sounds i've been making for the past few hours. it's actually pretty therapeutic when i'm frustrated with a track. also, just playing my drums helps clear my head.
of course smoking, too.

Message 19/42             06-Oct-98  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Rouge,
the monitors from Digital Designs will probably run you about 400us for the pair, and the amp about 600us. The reason why the monitors are so cheap is that you buy direct from the factory with no middle-man markup. Good monitors don't make your music sound like shit. Ideally, if you have a proper sonic environment, with sound just coming from the monitors and not rfelecting off of anything, it just gives you an accurate, uncolored idea of how your stuff really sounds fundamentally. Some people use multiple monitors systems: One uncolored (studio monitors), a home stereo setup, a car setup, and a boom box so that they have an idea of what themusic will sound like in different environments. I prefer to just use the sterile envirnment, and let it come out on other peoples' systems. Let them set their own eq's. The idea is that when you a set of monitors, they are very unforgiving, so that if you have a sound that isn't up to snuff, you know you have to work on it, otherwise you could think your stuff sounds great because your system has a nice bass peak, but you play it elsewhere and it just sounds thin, or vice versa. You load the bass on the recording because the system you use isn't accurate, and someone else goes to play it and it just sounds like this bloated, boomy, rumbling mess, with no punch or definition. Make sense? Good monitors don't make your music sound like anything but what it sounds like. That's the ideal. I'm sure kilo has something in the Monitors section of the site on this. Check it out.
Ape

Message 20/42             07-Oct-98  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

Nope, Kilo's really anti-monitors.
Monkey boy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 42 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)