aaa sampler as drum machine? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: sampler as drum machine?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 08-Aug-98  @  08:20 AM   -   sampler as drum machine?

buggo

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

i've tried using the signum s/w jobbie as a drum machine, with my mc-300 sequencer...no dice. Is there any way on most samplers to get it to NOT pitch-shift a sample up and down the keyboard range? If, for example, my sequencer is programmed to play a kick drum on midi ch. 10 and the kick's note # is 35, then how do I get the sampler to play the kick sample, at the original pitch, no matter what note number it's at? Say I want to assign kick to 35, snare to 36, open hat to 37, closed hat to 38, etc........can I get a sampler just to play the samples without pitch shifting 'em? GRR!!

(Not just on the Signum thingy...I need to know if I can do this on hardware units, such as Emax or DSM-1, that are good for drums. While we're at it, what would you all suggest as a decent drum sampler for under $400? The emax, s550, DSM1, s900, etc. all seem promising...real-world tips anyone?)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/55             09-Aug-98  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

ahhh, I see....hopefully this is not too tough to do...what do you folks think of the DSM-1 tho? Sounds fucking killer compared to a lot of older samplers, with a real low s/h price.....

Message 12/55             10-Aug-98  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Lettus Be

Link?:  Link

Buggo:

To change the key of your sample in the signum's sampler goto edit sample (ES) button, then EDIT.2, then scroll through your samples and when you get to the one you want to change hit tab to goto the original pitch feild there should be a number 60 there or something. Now with the mouse click the para button (its all blue and para is in white) the 60 in the original pitch feild should change to c_3. Now just scroll up and down to get to the pitch you want your sample to play at in you key span.

This IS what you were asking originally right?

Though sometimes it seem signum won't save this info for me? I'll reload a prg and this info will be back to the defaults.

Another way of doing it is pitch shifting your samples in cool edit 96 (which is what I use) by going to the Analyze menue then frequency analysis to find your samples pitch. Then goto transform, then Time/Pitch then stretch.
Now goto constant strech and choose phitch shift (preserve tempo) then in the transpose box select how high or low you want to go. This way works well if Signum doesn't save properly so your not totally fucked.

Message 13/55             10-Aug-98  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

nomad

about the DSM-1: it's really totally different
than the emax. here are the main differences:

dsm-1: very clean for a 12-bit sampler. 16 indie outs.
weak filters, non-resonant. no effects. complicated
interface (most say). lots of modulation possibilities.
4 way multitimbral with layering. 16 voice polyphonic.
1 megaword memory, samples at 16/24/32/48 khz.
harmonic synthesis = simple additive synth engine.

it makes a great drum machine mostly for the 16
indie outs. clean so you get out what you put it.
can use the DSM-1 samples in other korg keyboards
(like the T1/T2).

emax: dirtier sounding, has its own sound. many people
like its sound. analog filters. 8 indie outs,
8 voice polyphonic. chorus. simple interface (most say).
don't know about mod possibilities, but probably decent.
8 way multitimbral? memory isn't as much as the dsm-1
normally, but may be as much in some cases. weird
spectrum synthesis engine, hard to use since it
takes forever? (never actually used it).

nice dirtier drum machine to give character to your
drums.

the dsm-1 has more polyphony, with indie outs for
everything, and it's cleaner sounding, which is
nice since you CAN still sample dirty drums into it,
or get decent vocals out of it too cleanly. the emax
does have a nice character to it though, if you are
looking for that sound it's right there. plus, it
has nice filters so you can use it for a synth too.
the sample library for the emax is much bigger as well,
afaik. (although I have a web page for samples from
the DSS1 that can be used with the DSM1)...

hope this helps..

can't speak to the timing of either unit....

Message 14/55             10-Aug-98  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

try out Fruityloops PRO

(Midi)

Message 15/55             12-Aug-98  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

hilliard

Does anyone know how to make a sample tigger and then complete it's full cycle, even after you release the key? What is this parameter usually called? I'm trying to do this on an S-550. I've never set-up samples this way, 'cause I generally like them to cut-off right when I release the key, mainly for quick rhythmic stuff, but I was setting up a drum-kit and I want the kick (long 808-type) and the cymbal crash, to continue playing the entire sample length, regardless of when I release the key. Anyone?

Message 16/55             13-Aug-98  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

kilo

envelope......ADSR

Message 17/55             13-Aug-98  @  08:14 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

I use release on my samplers (including s-330/50), but the mpc-2000 has a key trigger mode that does this automatically. I'd have to assume other samplers can do this too.

FM raved about the DSS-1 & said the DSM-1 was a lot weaker. I've used the DSS-1 & love it to bits.

Daniel, you got the SP+? How are those filters, my SP's aren't resonant? How much did you pay?

Message 18/55             13-Aug-98  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

hilliard

I think I messed with the envelopes (it's quite a different set-up than any I've seen before - the S-550, that is - quite a few "stages"...hmmmmmmnn).

Seems like my roommate's S900/S2800 units did it just with a certain "mode" as you mentioned about the mpc. Guess I'll just have to mess with it a bit more, eh?

Maybe I should just check out a sampled drum kit from Roland's collection, 'n see how they set it up.....now there's a good idea......hhhhmmmmpphhh.

Message 19/55             13-Aug-98  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

kilo

akais have a mode which basically just triggers the sample and it'll play all the way thru regardless of note length..... some other unists may have this..... otherwise, it's the decay/release setting....

Message 20/55             13-Aug-98  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

noteven: you mention the S-20...I've been searchin for info on this bastard; seems perfect. (no filters or anything, but it takes SIMMs and has pads....) any shit you can tell me about it? (i've seen the akai page...a bunch of hype.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)