aaa I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :( - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:31 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:11 PM   -   I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Why do people think I'm a DJ when I say that I produce dance music? The countless people that don't get it really pisses me off... Arrgghhh!!

I really don't understand how they can get the two things confused. They even think I scratch records!!!

I'm not just talking about just the totally clueless people, but even some of the raver kids get things confused.

Why is techno production such a dark and confusing art to outsiders??

And another thing is the 'Proper' musicians who look down on what we do seem to think that we just use presets and string them together. Maybe this is because their only experience of electronic music is those awful Yamaha PSR keyboards?

I took a real sceptic into my studio and showed him what I do - Write, Compose, Sequence, Record sounds, Route effects, create original patches, mix and finally master.

His head really spun and I think he gained a new found respect for me.

Anybody else feel this way?? Anybody??? Anyone??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/66             08-May-02  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

Link?: Link

just turn around and go back into the studio. welcome to the evolutionary uhh.. i mean like welcome to evolution.

Message 12/66             08-May-02  @  08:51 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

master yen

stop complaining and educate, somebodys got to start teaching the basics.. offer links to an explanation of what you do..

the ravers will take a little more work on.. i thinks

Message 13/66             08-May-02  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

99devils

CasparProject told me he once did a gig with a pile of synths and no turntables in sight. When he was done, someone came up to him and said "Man, you are the best DJ ever!"

-Craig

Message 14/66             08-May-02  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

jp

Link?:  Link

maybe consider hanging out in different circles. i mean, the people who don't know sh!t are usually not at the places i go. but maybe i am spoiled in san francisco where the people who come out are extreemly educated in music. in any case, i think people usually respond well to a good show...and who cares to what degree they know about it as long as they know when it's good. and i don't think you should have to have a degree in music to enjoy it. just taste 

Message 15/66             08-May-02  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

david g

oh hi dru

Message 16/66             08-May-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

Link?:  Link

errr, uh..

oh hi david

Message 17/66             08-May-02  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Jon

Do these good producers *become* over night DJ's just to promote/spin their own records?

sasha comes to mind

Message 18/66             08-May-02  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

kettlecup

Freq Nasty not a good DJ?
Sasha a producer THEN a DJ?
Where am I?

Message 19/66             08-May-02  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

I've been tempted to get decks in the past, because I figured it would teach me a thing or two about how set building works and what makes a track 'mixable', but in the end I don't have the space or time. I did get Traktor and fook with it a bit for fun, though.

Maybe this is an American phenomenon??? I think people are just so used to Geetars here or something?? I grew up in England watching all the British Eighties bands on TV with their Synths and stuff and kinda got it from an early age.

Whhaaaaaa!!!! Somebody just came to my desk and Asked if the CD I was playing was something I did and motioned with their hand as if they were scratching!! BUM!!!

Message 20/66             08-May-02  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dj19

some guy I was developing a frienship with
who was a musician(guitarist) and singer
insulted me by saying that we all are "hiding
behind machines" lol, when I play my synths I
feel naked.

anyways, I broke ties off with him and he
doesnt realize by making that statement that
he plays with technology too like an amp, mic
and electric guitar.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)