aaa Korg - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Korg

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 21-Jul-98  @  10:16 PM   -   Korg

Geek

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Why does no-one talk about these awsome machines?!?

Anyway I'm thing about getting the TR rack or the N5, does anyone know anything about them?
What kind of synth is the trin? a control or analogue or what - why so expensivvve?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/21             22-Jul-98  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: Korg

JAWA

Buy an old secondhand Fender Rhodes. No midi just pure sounding mellow coolness.

WHY? For laid back drum and bass/trippy tunes you can't beat it and there has never (IMHO of course) been one multismampled that sounds authentic.

AHA! Bet you didn't expect that kind of answer did you.

Message 12/21             22-Jul-98  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: Korg

Geek

Wow!

whats IMHO???

Message 13/21             22-Jul-98  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: Korg

JAWA

In My Humble Opinion

It took me ages to work out.

Erm.... yeah..... I took some lessons in jazz piano..... okay i can sense people leaving this thread already at just the mention of JAZZ at a dance music site but it was something i wanted to do at the time...... i mean i've only brushed the surface of it all but it really opens your mind and inspiration when you start thinking about using sevenths, ninths, thirteenths, diminished, sus, and inverted chords to colour your tunes, rather than just using the white notes and moving the same shape around.

I'm also a great believer in a little knowledge being a dangerous but great thing and ignorance helping rather than hindering you....... this is back to the music theory side of things..... knowing everything there is to know about music is pointless...... its boring and time consuming, you get much more results just experimenting and playing around with things...... i mean play things deliberately out of their original key and see how it sounds that sort of experimentation...... like that little bell ditty on Massive Attack's unfinshed sympathy (one of my alltime favorite tracks)...... GREAT!...... it adds real depth to the music when you do something that by all textbook musical rights, shouldn't be done.....

Anyway none of this is really relevant to this thread so sorry about that..... guess i got carried away a bit.

Message 14/21             23-Jul-98  @  02:10 AM   -   RE: Korg

daniella

You know, i think you always pay a little too mauch when you buy a 'new' synth, but to be honest with you Ferg, i got fucking sick of looking around for something...Steve's allways has the same shit in, fuck, they wanted $900 for a new X5D!!!, and to be honest, i completely forgot about the buy and sell!,
O.k totally off topic.....i still can't work out how to get a midi/audio track into one audio file...!!!!!
HELP>>>>>!
Holger, please e-mail me.......
dacks@bigwave.ca...

Message 15/21             23-Jul-98  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: Korg

Ferg

Since you bring up music theory, Jawa, (and you mentioned one of my all time faves also), it might be a good idea for the next incarnation of Dancetech to have something about music theory. Personally, when I first started learning how to play stand-up bass, (also jazz training), my teacher, who was only a few years older than me, forced me to learn the scales up and down and inside out. Then I learned how chords are formed, and finally some basic harmony relating to chord progressions. That shit has saved me so much time since I started making dance music I don't know how people do without it. I really think Dancetech readers would benefit enormously if the site had something like that.

Maybe I should have mentioned this BEFORE Kilo designed the new site......

Message 16/21             23-Jul-98  @  06:04 AM   -   RE: Korg

daniella

well, i have a few 'tutorials' here in basic music theory that i wrote to teach some friends....i'd be happy to post em....

Message 17/21             23-Jul-98  @  08:33 AM   -   RE: Korg

kilo

mate... i think you comprehend not the new dancetech concept.... there is no site design in that way... it is 100% totally open ended system, with no fixed criteria... it's not like... we have to design a music theory section, and add in hard copy pages of html.....all articles, and all items of equiptment reviews can be posted to the system, by anyone authorised from anywhere world-wide..... the site automatically lays out the content, title, picture, links, audio demo's etc and comments as it is retreived from a search....so stuff is auto-classified for search retrieval... if there is no classification for some reason, i simply add a new class to the database... and hey presto... it appears all over the site as a retreivable classification........ you'll have to see it..... it will be the only site like it that i have seen

Message 18/21             24-Jul-98  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Korg

Purple Haze

Kilo: Can't wait to see it man... Using sql server or something ?

Daniella: yeah, post up the music theory tutorials, I'd be VERY interested in them. I've allready been looking on the net for music theory, and although I found lots of interesting things, I couldn't find anything basic when I needed it, or something like a little example (or midi file) to go with an article. Any theoretical view/tutorial on music is always appreciated by me, even when it's borign to read (not saying that your tutorials are ;).

Message 19/21             25-Jul-98  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: Korg

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

While a lot of us here may be well trained in theory, that doesn't mean we're capable of teaching it. It would be sad to see a bunch of newbies jumping onto the site, & ending up only getting confused while still not learning enough to put it to very good use.

All I'm saying is maybe to get a clear idea of what's going to be presented, & delving into it on a very shallow level; enough so a newbie knows the 12 notes on his/her keyboard and what terms like scales, chords, & harmony mean without getting blown away by counterpoint, 11th's & add 9th's, & other nasty things.

Theory is like the search for enlightenment: if you don't realize your on the journey, you're cool, & once you've completed the journey you're cool, but while your still trying to understand life/theory your confused as fuck & on a negative path.

Message 20/21             26-Jul-98  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Korg

Purple Haze

I got interested in making music about a year ago because a friend of mine had been playing around with it for ages (also released a couple of tracks). I often struggeled (still do) with trying to get things that sounded good by themselves to sound good with eachother, and when it did work out, it was just plain coincidence. But then, when I started learning about things like chords and scales, my music making improved drammatically (although it's still crap, I admit), because I was more able to understand why some notes sound ok together and others don't.
Hmm... maybe a bit hard to explain really, but reading music theory really helped to focus or channelize my creativity.

And I've given up on trying to understand life Hilevelt, the more I think I understood it, the more depressed I got...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)