aaa Your weakest link - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Your weakest link

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             19-Nov-03  @  04:15 PM   -   Your weakest link

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Anal Audiophiles of the world unite.... just remember, you're only as good as your weakest link...

------------------------------------------------
Able cables (New Scientist)

Question:
Is there any scientific basis for the claims that expensive, oxygen-free hi-fi cables produce audibly better results than cheaper standard ones. What would the nature of this difference be and has anybody been able to tell the difference unaided in a scientifically controlled test?

Brian Eno , London

Answer
The purity of the conductor material of a hi-fi cable does affect sound quality, but this is a highly complex area. A more expensive cable is not necessarily a better one.

Below is our conclusion after detailed study of the physics of hi-fi cables. To evaluate them, an engineering team and a listening team of "golden ears" worked independently. The members of the listening team are referred to as "golden ears" because of their ability to analyse small sound differences and describe them in words that the engineering team can understand, rather than an ability to hear things others would not.

Each evaluation was conducted under double-blind conditions. The tests on loudspeaker cables, and analogue and digital interconnects, found that many factors other than the purity of the conductor could produce marked differences in sound quality. These differences are easy to hear, sometimes difficult to put into words and very often a matter of taste and preference.

The choice and design of the screening materials for the cable and its connector and the termination of the cables within the connector are critical. The material and design of the connectors played a very large role in the overall results. This is not surprising considering the noisy electromagnetic environment we live in, with electronic systems everywhere.

The cable has to carry very sensitive signals, preserving the smallest variations. To keep signals clean, it would have to be perfectly screened, which is impossible with the cables and connectors used commercially.

Yet if great care has been taken to ensure that a cable has the best possible screening and that the conductor is suitably pure, then the screening of the connector will become the weakest point. Using different materials for the outer shell of the connectors, such as copper, brass, plain and anodised aluminium, generates distinct differences in sound quality. The worst add a fatiguing harshness to the sound and reduce the stereo sound stage, the best give a larger, spacious sound with a more natural, smooth, pure and detailed reproduction (see www.tagmclarenaudio.com/dev/white/wp8.asp)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             19-Nov-03  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

dARKSTATe

Ho Ho Ho
-----------------------------------

AT THE UK's annual hi-fi show, held recently in two hotels at London's Heathrow airport, several exhibitors were selling exotic cables to connect amplifiers to loudspeakers. The price of these cables was staggering. A 6-metre length of oxygen-free copper could cost as much as £30,000 - and no, those four zeros are not a misprint.

We cannot comment on whether these cables really do make music sound better, because none of the exhibitors offered a controlled blind test - switching the same music between cheap and expensive cables without the listener knowing which was which.

But now that the show is over, we can reveal a secret.
One of the most popular demonstrations at the show was staged by British company Quad, to mark 50 years of making its world-famous hi-fi equipment. Recording engineer Tony Faulkner demonstrated Quad's latest loudspeakers. He explained how he used them to monitor the sound while making a recording of Saint-Saëns's complete works for piano and orchestra, which recently won the coveted Record of the Year award from Gramophone magazine.

As hi-fi buffs enthused over the sound, we spotted that the speakers were connected by some orange wires that looked strangely familiar.

"Yes, they would look familiar if you have a garden", Faulkner told us. "Before the show opened we went over the road to the DIY superstore and bought one of those £20 extension leads that Black & Decker sells for electric hedge-cutters. They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me. The show's been running for three days and no one in the audience has noticed".

Message 3/21             19-Nov-03  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

GrooveMonkey

Oxygen free.. please..... All copper is oxygen free.. er coz its an element!

G

Message 4/21             19-Nov-03  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

influx

Link?:  Link

I think they mean anaeorobic...like, sealed

$30k, eh? shoot them

Message 5/21             20-Nov-03  @  12:47 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

mcc>

Link?:  No link

can't i just paint my old cables orange?

Message 6/21             20-Nov-03  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

pict

Excess.It's fucking obscene.

Message 7/21             20-Nov-03  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

k

yup - low amp lighting flex such as you'd use to wire hanging ceiling lights in a house is excellent speaker cable - comes as handy 2-core colour coded too!! - cheap!

you can go UP-ampage for thicker/more copper - but lighting flex is great!

Message 8/21             20-Nov-03  @  07:02 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

psylichon

Some people are retarded when it comes to A/Bing. My boss is the king of A/Bing and he has all sorts of personal quirks that he makes us abide by. For example, he claims that plugins always sound better on the first insert slot of a channel in pro tools. Or that lowering the buffer size improves stereo imaging... or that split mono tracks sounds better than stereo interleaved, or that "bouncing down" doesn't sound as good as routing to a new track and then exporting. All this stuff Digidesign will claim is 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other (it's all the same calculations) but he claims there is a difference.

Some people are just nuts and I hope I never care about such things.

Message 9/21             20-Nov-03  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

Yonce

I never thought about using an extension chord for speaker wire. I guess it's just two copper wires huh ? I did notice a difference when I hooked my monitors up with some nice heavy duty speaker wire instear of the little flimsy wires that came with my home stereo speakers, but that could just be mental, like how your car gets faster when you wash and wax it !

Message 10/21             20-Nov-03  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

milan

well... if you think about it scientifically the car should get faster, in theory at least because of the lack of rubbish particles collecting on the bonnet and spoiling the natural aerodynamics of the body of the car, and wax would only improve aerodynamics further by optimising the airflow... of course, there is always the temperature of the wax to be considered for which i shall now resort to physics and bla bla bla... *slump*

Message 11/21             20-Nov-03  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

yonce

exactly

Message 12/21             20-Nov-03  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

k

like how your car gets faster when you wash and wax it !

this is 100% true!!

Message 13/21             20-Nov-03  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

Psy's Boss

Link?:  Link

I saw dat.

(ps, I'm logged in so this doesnt count as impersonating okay?) ;)

Message 14/21             20-Nov-03  @  10:04 PM     Edit: 20-Nov-03  |  10:05 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

Steve Roughley

Yeah. I've been told several times by technicians and two articles, that I can recall, that standard power lead cable (i.e. kettle cord) is one of the best ways of feeding speakers. It is sooooo damned anoying trying to get this accross to audiophiles. I can't believe that these people spend, sometimes, 10's of thousands on speakers and cables just because they are told they will produce "The Truest, Cleanest, Best, etc, etc sound"!. Haven't any of them EVER considered that they should consult studio technicians if they are really after 'the truest' sound? It will potentially save them 1000's. Though this brings up the real question... do these fancy-speaker-waving-audiophiles really want good sound, or pulling equipment?

Steve.

Message 15/21             21-Nov-03  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

mcc>

most TRUE audiphile geeks are just that....geeks>>>. like my brother who'd invest all this money on state-of-the-art stuff....ohhh wow...cool.....so let's see how good it sounds?!....well.....we have some j. geils band, the cult......or do you prefer the cars?

i've suggested he see quagmire but does he listen?!!!

only to state-of-the-art stereos.
only the best.
"i paid thousands."...he smiles.
i smile.
we all smile.

Message 16/21             21-Nov-03  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

brad

File?:  [image]

[image file]

hey this is remotely related:

Glowing Pickle

What You Need

* Wire cutters
* 6-foot extension cord
* Two large nails
* Large dill pickle
* Paper towels

What to Do

With adult supervision, cut off the outlet at the end of the extension cord,
separate the two wires for 1 foot, expose the two wires, and wrap each wire
around its own nail, just below the head.

Insert the nails into opposite ends of the pickle, without letting the nails
touch each other inside the pickle. Hang the cord from a hook or string so
it hangs in the air. The electric pickle will smell, so allow plenty of
ventilation. Lie paper towels on the floor under the pickle to absorb drips.

Plug the extension cord into an electrical outlet.

What Happens

After sputtering, hissing, and smoking briefly, the pickle glows like a
bright green electric light (sometimes at just one end).

Why It Works

The glow purportedly results from the sodium in the salt used to cure the
pickle.

Message 17/21             21-Nov-03  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

k

wow! - I'll have to er.. try that... probably works better if you impale Bush on the nails tho! - lol!!

Message 18/21             21-Nov-03  @  05:52 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

cheddar

my man here swears by the quality of interconnects, but his speciality is internal wire quality...

Message 19/21             21-Nov-03  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

dARKSTATe

..and after spending ALL that money, they listen to badly mastered CDs in a room with the accoustic properties of a lamb vindaloo!

Message 20/21             21-Nov-03  @  11:13 AM     Edit: 21-Nov-03  |  11:14 AM   -   RE: Your weakest link

milan

... erm yes, not to mention that they'll be listening to a live 1950's cabaret recording of Waltzing Matilda on crackly mono vinyl! (true story o/c)

Message 21/21             21-Nov-03  @  09:06 PM     Edit: 21-Nov-03  |  09:06 PM   -   RE: Your weakest link

§ï†ÅR

"in a room with the accoustic properties of a lamb vindaloo!"

LMAO!

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)