aaa Need Good Cheap Soundcard - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             28-Jul-98  @  07:11 PM   -   Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Rouge

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My mate needs a decent cheap soundcard for his PC. Its got to have Full Duplex capability and have some semi-decent A to D converters. Any ideas?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             28-Jul-98  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Astroman

The Turtle Beach Montego has 18 bit DACs, is full duplex, and has like a 92db s/n ratio. It can be had for less than $100. I highly recomend it. And you can upgrade it with digital i/o in the future if you want. If you wanna spend even less get the Ensonig AudioPCI (now the Creative Ensong AudioPCI). Its got a great sound quality for just $50. Its full duplex as well, but a bit more noisy than the Montego. The Diamond Monster SOund M80 may also be something to look into.

Yes... these are all gaming oriented card... but the fact of the matter is that these cards have some great features for their price.

Message 3/22             28-Jul-98  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

kilo

just make sure whatever you go for, it works with your choosen s/w.... THAT is becoming more of a criteria today

Message 4/22             29-Jul-98  @  12:37 AM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

daniella

Don't get anything by 'midiman'!!!!

Message 5/22             29-Jul-98  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Mike

Just to warn people, the Creative Ensoniq PCI is NOT the same card as the former Ensoniq Audio PCI. It uses the AC 1371 chip rather than the 1370 which is supposedly quite different. For some obscure reason, the Ensoniq Audio PCI card which CL took over is now called the PCI64 and will be available in the Uk in August. Oh yeh, the PCI64 is currently retailing in the US for twice the price that the Ensoniq card was retailing for!!!!!!!

Message 6/22             29-Jul-98  @  02:55 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

helena

Most versatile and with upgrade options and tons of bundled software - 'Creative Labs AWE 64 gold'
now you can get it for about £100.

Message 7/22             29-Jul-98  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

helena

Most versatile and with upgrade options and tons of bundled software - 'Creative Labs AWE 64 gold'

Message 8/22             29-Jul-98  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

helena

Message 9/22             29-Jul-98  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Islandman

First there was the PCI 64.....no we have have the PCI 128....from one month to the next. All for the low, low price of $100!! Funny that they're both the same price.

Message 10/22             29-Jul-98  @  06:17 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

J.

Avoid the AWE64gold. Signal-to-noise ratio of 74db. (It comes out worse than CL's cheapest card, the vibra).

Message 11/22             29-Jul-98  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

buggo

MY AWE64 FUCKING SUCKS BALLS.

THAT DAMNED CRACKLING WILL NOT GO AWAY...GONNA HAVE TO POST ANOTHER THREAD AND TRY TO GET SOME HELLLLP...

AVOID THE AWE64; I'VE ONLY USED 2 BUT THEY BOTH CRACKLED LIKE HELL DURING RECORDING.

Message 12/22             30-Jul-98  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

The AWE 64 is not as the aforementioned say 'crap'.

Obviously you are using crappy leads or set it up
totally wrong. If you can't live with a signal to noise ratio of 74db in this 'grungy is cool' music scene
then I suggest you go and buy the latest two grand
synth.

Price vs. Performance the AWE 64 is way ahead of anything
else.

Message 13/22             30-Jul-98  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Blunted

No Way Man, my SB16 is da shit!!!

Message 14/22             30-Jul-98  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Will

AWE 64 Gold?.....More like AWE 64 pants!

Message 15/22             30-Jul-98  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Purple Haze

I've got an awe64 gold, was the first music-oriented thing I ever bought. I got it to find out if making music was something for me, and it was great with the 4 meg sampler-like wavesynth thing, but for recording it just isn't up to it imho.

If your friend wants full duplex (and not that 8 bit awe64 full duplex) and good a/d converters and nothing else, I advise him to at least not buy an awe64 gold.
As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a better card myself.

Message 16/22             30-Jul-98  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Rouge

Basically, what he's mainly looking for is a cheap, full-duplex, wavetable (but not of importance) hard-disk recording card. I'm gonna give him my VST because I'm fucking sick of it (and getting rid of it will preserve my sanity a little longer). No fucking way - no fucking 8-bit!!! No. Are you serious?, the soundblasters sound like 8 bit?!?

Whats the Bit converters on the Ensoniq?

Message 17/22             30-Jul-98  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Astro

Yup... in full duplex mode the Awe64 records in 8 bits and plays back in 8 bits. They just split the 16 bits in half in order to achieve full duplex. That why its sometimes refered to as "half duplex."
The TB Montego records and plays back full duplex 18 bit. I think . Check out www.tbeach.com to look at the specs and find out for sure. The Ensonic Audio PIC card (now Creative) has decent sound if I remember. I had one for about a week before I traded it in for the Montego. To me the noise on the AudioPCI was more than I could put up with... and for $50 more I got a card with virtually no noise. But I know for sure the Ensoniq is full duplex (16 bits both ways).

Message 18/22             31-Jul-98  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

galleyslave

Don't you mean plays back in 8 bits and records 16 bits?

Message 19/22             31-Jul-98  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Astro

No... I believe its records and plays back in 8 bits when in full duplex mode. I may be wrong though...

Message 20/22             31-Jul-98  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

dsimpson

I have just got a TB Montego. PCI/ 18 bit DAC's and DitectX support means great quality audio and a reduction in CPU resorces useage.
It has greatly improved my Rebirth performance.
Also got and AWE32. If you already have one of these get yourself a Midiman Calf 20 bit DAC. Connect up the internal SPDIF and get great quality sampling for £89.00.
Dave

Message 21/22             31-Jul-98  @  08:11 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

replica

The message originally postged was for a cheap soundcard - 'cheap' depends on your financial standing.

Message 22/22             01-Aug-98  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: Need Good Cheap Soundcard

Rouge

Anyone had any experience of VST with the Montego?

I know that VST has a lot of problems and VST is gonna be the main sequencer....

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)