aaa Forget freefilter ..real mastering techniques - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Forget freefilter ..real mastering techniques

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 22-Jul-98  @  05:14 AM   -   Forget freefilter ..real mastering techniques

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

O.k. If mastering is an art can some just list 4 or five fundamental processes involved.
Freefilter is cool but I want to do my own stuff my own style. Where shuould I start
I have a mix of hiphop with an artist, this mix has melodic strings and pianos plus drum and
bass and snare. I think the mix is great. Now what do I do after that. Should I get the mix
compressed or normalized first then EQ... or the other way around... should I avoid compression.. by the way. when you go get your stuff mastered by a pro will they just need
the final mixed in one wav file or cd not the individual instrument tracks????

help please

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/24             28-Jul-98  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: Forget freefilter ..real mastering techniques

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Avene, what I mean is what if you went back in history and made dx-7's the very first synths, and P-Funk had to find a way to make those sound nasty, and then all of a sudden analog was invented and became the new rage. Maybe because our ears had gotten used to the sound of the DX-7 there'd end up being a digital retro kickback, and everybody on this site would be bitching & saying "digital just has that wonderful clarity and detail, while all this analog crap just muddies up a mix."

I've owned so much retro guitar/engineer/keyboard gear, and yet younger kids seem much more accustomed to the sound of cd's, DDD all-digital recordings, and solid-state Crate guitar amps than to vinyl and old tube Hi-Fi's.

Thoughts?

Message 22/24             28-Jul-98  @  05:39 AM   -   RE: Forget freefilter ..real mastering techniques

kilo

well, my thoughts are....a good track comes along with an excellent hook.... wether it's dance or conventional music pop/rock whatever.... and all this becomes academic.... i guess..... i think the search for the original sound/source lies outside of these things......

Message 23/24             28-Jul-98  @  05:43 AM   -   RE: Forget freefilter ..real mastering techniques

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

It's a question of how tastes develop, which holds equal bearing when we ask what it is exactly that makes a good hook. On that level, it's pretty obvious you just have to go with the gut, but we can talk about sounds and equipment a little more analytically and exacting than that.

Message 24/24             28-Jul-98  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: Forget freefilter ..real mastering techniques

Johndo

Nomad you're right. I'd always go for 16 bit at least. Its truer to what you put in. There are smaller 'steps' to be dithered or 'smoothed' by the d/a as you go to higher resolutions. But with all things its shit in- shit out. So if you sample warm/harsh/analog/whatever sounds at a high resolution then you'll get that back out at the end of the day.

I think the safest way to a good CD sound is AAD or DAD, at least for more conventional (rock?) music because you can get the tape compression. I think this is where some of the 'cds are harsh and vinyl is great/warm' arguments come from. Too much dynamic range if you don't get the compression right.

Nomad, thanks for the 'internal bit rate' info. I've always wondered about that.

Also I think the 16 bit to 24 bit conversion for mastering is just for headroom right enough. Probably just keeping on the safe side in case they boost something. However it seems a bit unneccesary since they probably have to reconvert somewhere if they use any analog eq/compression. Maybe these are all digital mastering houses????

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)