aaa profestional reverb - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: profestional reverb

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/25             03-Aug-98  @  06:54 PM   -   profestional reverb

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i am looking for the best album(not demo) sounding reverb i can get for under $1000. is that possible?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/25             03-Aug-98  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

99devils

Sure is. the Alesis Wedge is a pro-quality unit for abou $400 us. If you want to spend more, check out Lexicon...

Message 3/25             03-Aug-98  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

The yamaha rev500 supposedly sounds as good as the upper-end models, & rev3's are going real cheap now. Alesis is good in it's versatility, Lexicons & yammies are so distinctive sounding, but quadraverbs are chameleons. Used pcm 70's are going sub-1000 nowadays, but I'd rather have an excellent yamaha than a half-rate lexicon.

Message 4/25             03-Aug-98  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

nomad

ps. the lexicon mpx100 also is cheap, and supposedly
sounds like a mpx-1 (but less programmable)..$249
list, $229 at guitar center....

Message 5/25             03-Aug-98  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

buggo

holy shit. is it really worth spending so many hundreds of $$'s more to get a "proper" reverb when a used nanoverb is so cheap? i can't imagine how much of a difference there could possibly be...

(don't listen to me; i just use a chain of guitar pedals...he he...)

but really, what's the difference?

Message 6/25             03-Aug-98  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

Hilevelt

The difference is that a proper reverb supports the original signal, makes it stronger yet gives the illusion that it's physically elsewhere in the mix, whereas a cheap reverb takes up a lot of space and sounds separate from the signal. It takes a good engineer to really make it worthwhile, which is why the wedge is nice, 'cause it makes it easy to "tune" your ears like when you work on a Lexicon 3000 or 224.

You're right, though, it's not the kind of difference you'd understand without experience. Once I heard it, everything changed.

TIP: Don't try to make a professional-sounding record w/ cheap reverb! Make it a little too dry and it'll sound like an underproduced pro as opposed to an overproduced indie.

Message 7/25             03-Aug-98  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

hehe

what´s about the software "TC-Native Reverb ?"

what do you think does it sound like (compare HardW/SoftW)
more a cheap one or more a exp. one

Holger

Message 8/25             04-Aug-98  @  06:54 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

buggo

how's the nanoverb then?

not that I'm considering buying one...I never use reverb 'cause it doesn't go at all with the kind of music that I do...on the rare occasions that I do, I run it thru an old spring reverb I've got kickin around. But I gotta say, although I was kidding in the post above, guitar pedals really are THE SHIT...I use a DOD classic fuzz for distortion; it sounds great and nasty, you can crank the shit out of the distortion, to the point where the sound just breaks up...I also just got an ibanez delay pedal, which is quite nice, although it doesn't have a delay time readout (duh.) But if you spend about 15 seconds playing a loop thru the pedal, tweaking the delay-time knob until you've got it right, it works just great! It's not hard at all to get it right, and easy as a knob twist to offset it just a bit for some awesome effects...best thing of all this though is that when you have it on a fairly short delay time, then while a sound is going thru it, like a vocal sample (especially!) you turn down the delay time, it time-stretches it in realtime and gives you AWESOME bizarre delayed fucked-up noises...I once made a super-cool siren-type noise by screaming into a mic thru the pedal and turning the delay time down...

as kilo said in the FM synth thread (TX81z?) this music all originated with shite equipment, and while you're probably right about nice reverb (which reminds me, some very NICELY DONE reverb, not overdone at all, is on Climbatize on the fat of the land CD...funny i noticed this, but it was one of the first things I really heard when I listened to the song; it's not overkill!) some old cheap nasty FX can be super creative tools...

maybe i only say this because I have cheap shit. Yeah.

i'll shut the FUCK up now.

he he.

(i HAVE heard great things about the wedge...)

Message 9/25             04-Aug-98  @  11:26 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

dan.sydner

"I once made a super-cool siren-type noise by screaming into a mic thru the pedal and turning the delay time down... "

This is what the chemical brothers used on that song they made with the boke from oasis (can't remember what neither of them are called). The cool siren-sound. But they used a tape-echo.

Message 10/25             04-Aug-98  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

kilo

yup the Siren effect is listed in the Delay section of the FX rack...it is real easy to do, and sounds great, and you can play with the siren in a mix or live to go (just like a real police siren) from fast modulate to wide sweep.....after all, a police siren is simply the same thing in a fixed unit..... as for the nanoverb, my mate who owns the a3000 has one, and i have to say i was most impressed, but like the guys say above,... the secret of the Pro reverb sound (apart from the quality of the algorithms, is the way it is set up.... the editing of the parameters is like a delay, what makes it 'sit' right....... quadraverbs are as noisey as shit... great for a cheap budget reverb cos it does fx too, but i reckon too noisey and certainly not high enuff quality for what this guy wants.... personally i didn't like the cheaper lex models i heard..... they sounded to intrusive.... the s/h pcm70 was a good suggestion....... like Hilly says ..... better to under use it...... over-use of reverb is the classic beginners mistake..... and even more so to use less if your reverb is not so great....

Message 11/25             04-Aug-98  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

Hilevelt

It's funny, 'cause mid-price yamahas sound great, as well as Alesis (agreed on original Quad's, but my Quad 2 is a big improvement), but Lexicon just doesn't do it. Even pcm's aren't really worth it, you need a 300 or 480 to really get it, or else a shitty 224 just to be retro.

Also, music for clubs is usually re-mixed with less 'verb, 'cause there's already so much sound bouncing around. ie anybody on this site can mix a club-quality track w/ few hassles and cheap gear.

Message 12/25             04-Aug-98  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

so if im doin r&b. will i need the high end lexicon?

or can i get buy with the wedge, or an under a $1000 unit.

Message 13/25             04-Aug-98  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

carles

Try before buy , thats the better method to buy ...
There are many brands with good quality reverbs besides yamaha , lex , and alesis ... like ensoniq for example just try it before buy .

Message 14/25             05-Aug-98  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

kilo

nope you wont..... it's the way you add it... be subtle..... check out those nanoverbs... they are pretty amazin with an 18 bit algorithm... i was well impressed with it... but try it first.... or any

Message 15/25             05-Aug-98  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

buggo

interesting...didn't know that about the chemical brothers...now can i be famous too?? he he...

but kilo, i don't quite understand...maybe we're talking about different FX...when i use this delay pedal and turn it down i get a siren, but the delay chip will only keep it goin for maybe 10 seconds or so...I just sample the noise I make and use it. I don't quite get what you mean by "...you can play with the siren in a mix or live to go (just like a real police siren) from fast modulate to wide sweep....." That sounds like kind of a continuous thing...explain please?

Message 16/25             05-Aug-98  @  05:53 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

buggo

ahh, nevermind, i see...i think.

I don't know what you mean by the delay self-oscillating...(My pedal is unmarked, but one knob controls time b/w delays, one controls the volume of the echoes, and one controls how many times it echoes..) I assume these are delay time, feedback, and ??? in order...

anyway I still don't get the siren thingy; i just make downward sweeping noises that end soon enuff...help?

Message 17/25             05-Aug-98  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

kelaperse

Tell me guys how would you compare direct-x- and vst-plugins with real reverbs?

I haven't use real effectsboxes ever and to me they sound good (maybe because of that?). Are they really so good quality you good mix a hit-track with them (yeah yeah.. somebody will say you can mix a hit-track with anything if you're a fucking guru...)

Is there big difference between other real effects and plugins? For example Vintage Power Pack, Native Power Pack, Hyperprism and so on... can you put them in the same line with real effects units?

Message 18/25             05-Aug-98  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

kilo

the siren is simple... push the feedback up as far as it'll go... then it just continuously feedsback.... you then adjust the wobble rate with the modulation fast for fast and slow for wide sweep.... the time sets the pitch... very short gets the right genuine police siren sound... but the dealy has to be able to be pushed that far until it sticks in feedback self-oscillation.... then it'll go on and on and on for hours... it becomes a siren unit...

plugis?.. theoretically, but no.... better to get a dedicated dsp card reverb that is controlled by vst... dsp is the only processing fast enuff for prestine reverb....Lexican & yamaha do 'em... the new yamaha dsp and 1000xg being two examples

Message 19/25             06-Aug-98  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

buggo

well the feedback on my delay pedal won't go that long...grr....incidentally i looked up the chemical brothers live kit list (altho i've heard they play it all on a da88??) and noticed they have the same delay pedal as I do...now I'm sure of it: i'm gonna be a star..he he..

Message 20/25             06-Aug-98  @  11:18 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

kelaperse

Not that I wouldn't believe you but why plugins are good only theoretically? How does the theory differ from real life in this case?

If I have a DSP-card f.ex yamaha and I use these plugins.. Can I get the same effects but with better quality.

One thing I've noticed is that plugin effects require more processing power that KELAPERSE can afford!

Message 21/25             06-Aug-98  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

kilo

you have to overdrive the delay input hard remember..... i doubt a plugin could do it....

Message 22/25             06-Aug-98  @  12:43 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

carles

You cant generalize in plugins .
There are lots of plugins that are crap .
But theres a lot too that are fine and a few that are wonderful .Like in the hardware case allways try before buy ... this way you cant be wrong .
A second thing that makes plugins sound bad is the monitoring system ... I mean that isnt the same to listen through a cheap board headphone out or listen through a good mixer and good speakers.... etc , etc ...
Tc stuff is very good (I´v tried Reverb and Eq) , beautiful graphics , easy to use and clear sound (waves the same ) . Havent tried hyperism , I dont like the DSPFX (just an opinion) .

Message 23/25             06-Aug-98  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: profestional reverb

kelaperse

I've used the Vintage Power Pack and I like it a lot. It fits my mixes as a fist in your eye (like we use to say in Finland)..

But I really haven't had a chance to try real vintage effects like tape delays or Mu-Tron phasers to compare.

I guess it's the most important thing that you enjoy using whatever effects you're using and find them suitable in your mixes.

Message 24/25             07-Aug-98  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

kilo

yeah..... true.. and it;'s the experimenting that'll get new sounds huh?.... i see Alesis are doing a big-time cheapo promo... that wedge is good huh?.. if it's a nonoverb chip with editing that'd be very good... i was very impressed with the nanoverb....

Message 25/25             07-Aug-98  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: profestional reverb

carles

Thats true , enjoy is the most important .

V

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)