aaa The Making of a Track - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The Making of a Track

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 13-Aug-98  @  05:17 AM   -   The Making of a Track

Houseman

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

So how you go about creating your tracks?

Do you have a set routine? If so, what is it? Or, do you do it differently each time?

What usually inspires you?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/26             17-Aug-98  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

Richie

I took a day off work on friday to muck about on some tunes and ended up writing an absolute stonker, did a quick tape mix to listen to in the car up to manchester. Decided I liked the track and would work on it some more. Sat down last night and tried to force myself to write and ended completely fucking up the mix I had set up on friday. Did I master it first?

Did I fuck.

That is a pretty good example of my writing ever since I decided to leave the dole.....

Message 22/26             17-Aug-98  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

nullunit

I can relate to that. I have to walk away for a while every few hours. Sometimes I think I've made The Shit and when I get up the next day and listen to it in the morning it sounds like total log. This is when I get into that 'I can't really write music, the last track was a fluke!'mode.
I don't know how you can write music with other people. I get lots of ideas from friends but nothing comes out unless I'm alone in my own little shread zone.

Message 23/26             17-Aug-98  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

pongoid

Link?:  Link

There are so many ways to come up with a track. One way that I find works well, is that I hear a sound walkingdown the street, or I'm just sort of fucking around on my synths, and sampler, and I just sit back and close my eyes for a minute, and think about how that sound speaks to me, and how it works in a groove, if at all. Could be a soundscape, or a jammin pump track. I'll fire up the drum machines, and build a little percussion line, and just build the groove from there, then start experimenting with manipulating the sounds, til I'm really feeling a solid buzz comig from the sounds. I know I'm up to something good when I start looking around like I just got caught doing something really naughty, kind of like an eight year old, dark skinned kid, that just got caught by his mom with his finger jammed up his nose in church. Not a racist thing, just know the upbringing.

Other times, I'll just do the old faithful, go with a kick line, and build the layers, but the best stuff really comes together when my partner and I play live together. I just set my drum machine into record mode, and load in some samples, semi-randomly, using some short percussion patterns on my sequencer, and he'll do the same, and we'll just hit start and go. We just sort of reach out towards each other with pieces of sound, creating shpaes, and colours, and textures, and grdually it will shape itself into some kind of groove, usually some thing slow, and funky, and once the being takes shape, we jkust sort of work it up into whatever it feels like it needs to become. It also really depends on the audience, if we are playing with a crowd. If the crowd feels that it wants to go faster and harder, then the being moves that way. If it wants to just chill, then that's fine too, but really depends on the exchange of energies. We just keep loading samples,, and bringing up patches, and occasionally loading some more sequences, and just manipulating, until the time has come where we feel our communication has fully come through, and we have made the connection with our audience, and there's not much more to be said at the time. At that point, we stop playing, and relax.

A few days later, when the hype has worn off, we'll go back, and listen to a recording ofthe set, and find the moments of the most intense communication, and extract those. Very little manipulation is required at that point. That's another way of coming up with a track, and it's my favorite. A lot of my friends, particularly, some in France, who play at teknivals a lot, do it that way. That stuff always sounds unique, because it's live, and involves more than just the performers' energies. Check it out some time! I'm so inspired now, I'm going to go and be naughty with my machines now!!! *runs away, cackling*
Monkey Businessman

Message 24/26             18-Aug-98  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

Pongoid is a fuckin' Lunatic- do not listen to a word he says. He walks the streets talking to himself. I must admit though, he's one fine musician. When he comes back to the SF area I might even give him a gig at my club. For those in the area, check out my url www.thehipster.com for more info.

Oh by the way, I've ordered the BAFF so you better watch out motherfucker.

-Chad-

Message 25/26             18-Aug-98  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

rouge

Hmmmmm, Chad whats the site all about?? Weird.

Anyway, I'm not making many tunes at the moment because I'm writing a book but when I do I usually start off with some kind of riff, loop it, play something over it that sounds good and progress from there. To start with a beat it has to be one hell of an individual beat to inspire me into working around it otherwise its practically impossible (for me).

Message 26/26             19-Aug-98  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

99devils

Drums are the last thing I do (at leat the last thing to be finished) besides vocals... usually I'll just lay down some hats on beats 2 & 4 if it's a softer piece, or kick on 1 2 3 4 if heavy... those remain the drums until all the rest of the work is done. Then I rewrite the drums parts. On one song I decided not to rewrite the drums just for the pure cheezyness of it all ;-)

-Craig

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)