aaa Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             15-Sep-98  @  05:41 AM   -   Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

info hound

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was just thinking how this site is really helpful and informative to both newbies and pros alike and...does anyone know of similar sites but dealing with other subject matters? I'm particularly interested in graphic design sites, photo/digital imaging etc. anyone in here?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             15-Sep-98  @  05:52 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Astroman (jmc

Hmmm... good question. I'd definitely be interested if you did find such a site. Whenever I have a computer question I need an answer for I usually hop on over to altavista.digital.com and do a usenet search of some type. It usually brings back great info.

But yeah... a graphic design version of Dancetech would be excellent.

Message 3/27             15-Sep-98  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

J.

And a guitar site... where people could talk guitars. [GOtta stop drewling]

Message 4/27             15-Sep-98  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

there is nothing like dancetech !

Message 5/27             15-Sep-98  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Richie

Start your own?

Message 6/27             16-Sep-98  @  01:49 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

a good housewife

how about vacuum-cleaner-tech....my hoover's been acting up...

Message 7/27             16-Sep-98  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

xoxos

Link?:  Link

i wish people would stop saying that. my trigger finger's getting itchy.

xoxos.

Message 8/27             16-Sep-98  @  02:49 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

kilo

well talk guitars then..... don't be ashamed.....

i gotta Fender squire strat... 3 pickup... 2 pickups removed, space filled with car filler.... single dimarzio at the bridge, wammy.... going thru a rat & a marshall 50 watt combo.... would prefer a stack, but a valve... trouble with marshalls tho is thet they sound best on full otherweise i don't get the amount of feedback control, or harminic resonance, and sustain.... so in pubs, they are always to loud on full... alright for bigger pubs & venues tho.....

gonna have to drill out the filler, before it had a huge hollow in it, covered with a big scratchplate.... it gave it a hollow middle sorta sound on power chords that was fucking ace..... now it is very solid... and the sound is more top & bass.... bass is fuller.... but it'as lost that hot honk it had that pronounced the mid-range-bass harmonic squels on low power chords...... you know the chugga-chugga-squee-e-e-e-l....etec..er... stuff..... anyhow..... so i gotta drill it out... make it hollow again... also covered it in scraps of shiney prismic paper patterned stuff like ... like a mosaic all over... that'll have to come off too..... want that sound back.... so theoretically, you can improve the mid tones by hollowing up the boddy a bit..... but the sound before was absoluitely stinkin...... so low and dirty gruff sorta sound... now it's er..... i dunno.... sounds to familiar I guess is what i mean..... it was different before....

always run the distortion on amp, & pedal too....to double the distortion.... luverlee !!...

bass,.... is a Aria "ThorSound" basic job..... gotta Landola Acoustic... big bass-y fukcoff spruce thing... Finnish they are..... it was almost white when i got it... yellow now.... i fitted a bridge pickup... bit thin at gigs, but feedback is fun on the front monitors !!...... (all chords humm!)..... I'd love one of those Takamine electro acoustics with the spanish strings...... they are great... anyways... I'd like a better lectrified sound...

.....Gotta old Gibson ES125 waiting till the day i can renovate it... needs an internal table-strut job....near the neck join...

thats it really..... spanish guitar is about.... cheapie, but good for solo's where a spanish is a nice sound or feature.....

used to own Gibbo "The Paul"...walnut one... nice... with AC30... then an HH-ICL100,..... then the fender & Marshall,,...also had a cheap laney 130 combo job.... dropped the electric guitar in a way now.... been on the bass for the ;last year... into it as an accompanying instrument playing chords and sing-with... distortion pedal thru a Trace 8X10 was the best sound I got.... too loud for the venue tho... (as fucking usual!!).... one of those engineers wouldn't allow it up in volume.... that is what i like,..... power riffs and motifs.... there ya go... don't be shy.... your turn.....

Message 9/27             16-Sep-98  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Sedusa

Hehe, '76 Gibson Explorer thru a Marshall stack.. But it sulks in the corner most of the time because the SH 2 gets all the glory.. Still, it's a whole lot more fun to get pissed and play guitar with your friends than to get pissed and play synths... Tho my SH 2 sounds killer thru the stack....

Message 10/27             16-Sep-98  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Richie

Fender Strat.. No combo anymore tho I used to have an Elgen amp that I loved to pieces. 2 big cones just to deliver 50 watts, But the fucking power it had!! It had two channels so the bass player (at the time) could jam with me without lugging his big hairy marshal stack around. I'm selling the srat (nothing special Jap 62 re-issue) but for some reason even tho I don't play anymore. Just can't bear to do it. The only thing I really got out of that band apart from a crappy 12 that I did'nt like at the time.

Used to have a Custom Les Paul, you know the one with three humbuckers? That bastard chucked out some power. I went over the top at a gig, the crowd going mad and all that, got a bit mutch for me. In a moment of rock n roll euphoria I smashed the thing up. I still remember the feeling I had in my gut when I realised what I had done. Shit, that was the most expensive high I've ever had. I've got that sick feeling again just thinking about it.

Never get the urge to smash up my drum station tho. Even if the tracks rockin like a patient in a padded cell.

Message 11/27             16-Sep-98  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

99devils

I've got two Steinbergers (The headless jobbers), ones a '93 Spirit, the other is an early 90's GR4, and I love them to death. They go through an ART SGX-2000 right into the board, but I think I'm gonna get a Crate Blue Voodoo 1/2 Stack for them.

I used to own a similar Squier Strat, Kilo. I hated it because it wouldn't stay in tune, but I do love the sound of a fender!

-Craig

Message 12/27             16-Sep-98  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

xoxos

hondo! the only gig i ever played on it someone half chopped off my finger in a shovel fight that morning. it probably helped my sound since the only thing i wanted to do is helios creed's megaatomic phaser sweep emax processed holy shit! style sound, like the wangled 'solo' from 'last laugh.'
but my vacuum cleaner.. that's a piece of work. an ancient eureka 550 orange background big daisies all over it with 'caution radioactive material' tape round it. looks like artoo detoo on acid. the chrome pipe makes a handy didgeridoo in a fix at a jam. here's a tip: can't seem to swat that pesky mosquito? get out yer 550.

xoxos.

Message 13/27             16-Sep-98  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

ex- banger

I gave up the guitar when my band lost in battle of the bands in High School. The band that won is some hardcore shlock, that was composed of a bunch of freaks. There still around though. I saw a listing that they're on tour with Sepultura. They go by the name of Vision of Disorder.

My goal is to watch they're genre burn itself out and have me rise to fame as the mack mother fuckin' daddy electronic producer.

Cackling maddly masterbating over my DX100 chanting, "Long live FM!!!!!"

-CM-

Message 14/27             17-Sep-98  @  02:38 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

xoxos

sweet dreams... the cultural progression to purely electronically synthesized music seems so logical, so right, doesn't it? well, it ain't ever going to happen my friend. not here in america. there's only so many of us alloted to each generation that slam with our neurons this way. the guitar is a cultural icon, which means more than having it's own restaurant. it is part of the algorithm. don't waste your time fighting it or hating it. do your own thing. there's a need for it somewhere. and yes, i thought that josh wink 'are you there?' thing was weak compared to stuff my friend was doing with hir tb303 clone years ago, and maybe he is just a big white guy with dreadlocks, but even in my advanced years, the way he banged his head above that little box really spoke to me in a language i understand, and i imagine many people will find themselves to understand.

if you are into music as a way to administer defeat to your enemies though you are in the wrong field. music is about communication, and society will only adopt those leaders from which it will ultimately benefit. it's smarter than it seems.

xoxos.

Message 15/27             17-Sep-98  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Astroman

Wow xoxos... that ruled.

Message 16/27             17-Sep-98  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Fingers

my 1970s tele

it really is so smelly

someone painted it light blue one day

and now its on my belly

(the bits of paint that keep flaking off it I mean... maybe its just old and has been bashed about a bit ... when i tried to take the jack-socket out at the weekend I knocked another big chunk of paint off with a screwdriver)

my fender twin has lost its verb

thank fuck Ive got a boss me-6

(they dont all have to rhyme...do they...I was going to say to be...or not to be...thats not the verb for me...but then I realised that was wank)

Message 17/27             17-Sep-98  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

you fellows are way too serious. Music, as is life, is about fun as well. It was my New York sarcastic nature that was speaking in that posting.

-CM-

Message 18/27             17-Sep-98  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

fingers

fuck you pal that was some of my lighthearted verse...just wait till I lay some of my wrist slitter styff on you...

Message 19/27             17-Sep-98  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

bring it on.

Message 20/27             19-Sep-98  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

ratfink

okay, okay i thought i was gonna get slagged for posting the original thread so i did.nt put my name down...but now i wanna take credit for it!

what're we talking bout now? guitars is what most of the posts are about so...

guitar #1: crappy red "rock axxxe" type deal (pointy headstock, bridge humbucker, no floyd rose though so it's a bit more strat sounding than it looks) cut a whole album with it; cheesy proggy, metally hard rock...through a marshall valvestate 50W and a jm800(?) double stack. SHRREDZZ 4 DAYZZZ DOOODDDZZ!!!!

GUITAR #2: crappy strat copy: prize for "BEST GUITARIST" 1990 Yamaha Manila Band Explosion...HAHAHA!!! i didn't know what the hell i sounded like...feedback (the bad kind) all over the place, godawful crap boots, fucked on beer and weed, AND I WAS SINGING!!!! IN A 3 PIECE GROUP!!! but i won...hmmm

grown up now, still have my gitars but not a shred dude anymore...computer, warez (m. waves, buzz), soft synths, 606, 303, kewl morley wah, crap ass zoom 9002, 4 track, xylophone, crate amp

i'm just chit chatting around the campfire...its saturday morning, la nina's coming down fucking biblical, there's just 4 of us at work, IT'S MY SON'S BIRTHDAY!!!

oh well laterrrzzz dooodzz....i'm just going over to hun's yellow pages for awhile check out some girl to girl action...

Message 21/27             19-Sep-98  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Purple Haze

Stacks ? Double stacks ? Humbucker ? Marshall stack ? Pickup ? Combo job ?

You completely lost me now...

I sometimes want some guitar sounds when I'm working on something, but reading all this and then thinking you just can't feed it into your mixer but have to mike (mice ? mic ? it's too early I need coffee) it and reading all of the above.... makes me think again...

Maybe I should just find a good guitar player...

Message 22/27             19-Sep-98  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

rouge

I've got a 1969 Fender Strat, a new Les Paul, a Takamine EN10C Acoustic, a Fender Twin Chorus Combo, a Marshall JCM900 Stack, blaa blaa blaa ............ .................. ..................... ...... ............. .................. ....................... .......... .............

Anyway, checkout FutureNet, all kinds of stuff and a real shit chat-room ..... Its got samplenet too (loads of free samples!)
http://www.futurenet.com/samplenet/

Message 23/27             20-Sep-98  @  02:55 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

xoxos

on the original thread, which i just happened to glimpse.. the bryce 3d guy has an excellent links list for graphic stuff on his page - probably 100 sites, a couple of chats listed on 3d modeling. you can link to bryce at www.winfiles.com - just do a search for bryce.

xoxos.

Message 24/27             20-Sep-98  @  04:12 AM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

Greenman

Charvel, w/ a Floyd Rose... ahhh, I miss my old baby. All this talk about 'twangin'... I was one of the original big hair metal heads.... sold that stuff many moons ago to make way for the beats... I like the use of guitar in Dance music... listen to the intro to BT's "Flaming June" ... beatutiful, slappy guitar piece...

Toured w/ Warrant, Trixter, Firehouse, Judas Priest, etc. as a pyrotech back in the '80s... on my birthday Warrant let me come up an' jam "Cherry Pie" in front of a stadium crowd. Best day of my life... didn't get a knobber that night tho'...

All of us guitarist should be havin' a real laff at the whole "real" vs. "DAT" issue goin' on in DanceLand (PLEASE, not that again!).

P.S. Where's Buggo? Did I miss some'ting?... haven't been around much myself...

Message 25/27             20-Sep-98  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

xoxos

tastes so good, makes a grown man cry..

xoxos.

Message 26/27             20-Sep-98  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

kilo

as to the above... i think you'll be waiting till hell freezes over....hard/ thrash metal etc will be around for ever..... most loyal fans on the planet... well, you gotta be... cos it's totally unfashionable.... heh heh.... as to the staying in tune squire... correct... but then the way i play, no notes are ever still.... much bending, vibrato etc... yes it's totally un-useable for clean chords..... actually, there's this one song we play/ed sometimes called Coffee.... which starts with a huge harmonic encrusted nosedive on a base A power chord, preceded by stacks of stringbending, neckshaking and general noisey stuff.... well, you can imagine what the opening proper chord sounds like !!..... les dawson on the axe.... still, at least i wasnt sad enuff to buy Guitar player and learn all the solo's ...... sad sad sad.... "hey !!... I can play eruption !!".... although there are a few interesting licks you can merge into your solo's in the stevie vai books..... as long as you adapt them...

Message 27/27             21-Sep-98  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: Speaking of off-topic.. (don't kill me)

99devils

If you like playing with the bar, Kilo, you simply must try a Steinberger. Especially one with a Trans-trem, which lets you wang around whole chords and they stay in tune! Of course one of those new will set you back more than that Supernova you probably sleep with ;-)

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)