aaa Another "how do they do that" question. :) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Another "how do they do that" question. :)

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 15-Sep-98  @  03:39 AM   -   Another

Thayl

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

How do I do drill sounds? You know the ones, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Autechre
style speed-breaks. I've tried cutting and pasting a really small snare over and over again but it doesn't sound right.

How the hell can they get the damn drills to speed up, slow down, go all over the place?
(I know I'll probably get flamed for posting this beginners shite)

-Thayl

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/28             23-Sep-98  @  04:52 AM   -   RE: Another

xoxos

Link?:  Link

okay, keep on laughing, but what i meant was:

if you have a sequence you want to write in 16th notes, but you can only write in 32nd notes, each note length value is 50%, because you have to write note/rest, note/rest.. well, the yamaha qx21 people felt that most people would prefer a more 'natural' feel if all the 16th notes stopped playing a little bit before the next one did, leaving little bits of space in between the notes, so each note length is only 80% of the actual value. they give you the option of writing in full note length value, but it's not the easiest to write in. so if you've got a piece of nonsense like this, you have to mess with the sustain value. also i've noticed that the notes lose even more length when slaving the sequencer.

in other words, pass the dutchie on the left hand side already.

oh and most of my best tunes are remembered from dreams.

xoxos.

Message 22/28             23-Sep-98  @  07:12 AM   -   RE: Another

buggo

richie: that slanging effect...i think i heard something like that on a chemical brothers song (song to the siren maybe?) i know, no one wants to hear about THEM, but there's a cool little breakdown and the drums are flanged to fuck...interesting effect. i have that old cheap nasty bi-mode chorus pedal and when i turn the modulation width all the way up and the oscillation speed all the way down, you get wacky asss effects on drums...mess with the oscillation speed and you can go from a sort of weird "wash" sound to a drill-type pitch-bending noise...

Message 23/28             23-Sep-98  @  07:48 AM   -   RE: Another

Sedusa

get one of the portable DAT recorders... Lord knows if I had money to blow I'd get one and sample the fuck outta everything...

Message 24/28             23-Sep-98  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: Another

Richie

I shall be investing (mmm, maybe not investing as such), in a few cheap guitar fx soon.. I shall definately get a chorus.. Cheers for the tip buggo :-)

Message 25/28             24-Sep-98  @  01:48 AM   -   RE: Another

xoxos

sedusa... years ago, i kinda went into this with the idea of using basically only 'heard' sounds on a sampler. the truth is i've only started getting decent equipment of late, so this is my findings with mediocre gear. my opinion is that there are (well of course) a lot of great sounds out there.. but they lose something in the capturing process. some things have a real definate timbre, like a jackhammer or a warbler, but for the aspects that make most natural sounds worth hearing i think it's better to use a synth sound created and effected in the way that will achieve the effect; natural reverb, or whatever. propogation of sound in air is basically the same thing, if you take it apart. cleaner. more 'producty.'

well i'm just making it up as i go along. food for food.
it doesn't really matter.
xoxos.

Message 26/28             26-Sep-98  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: Another

rouge

both my Roland JX3P and my AN1X have some fucked up drilling sounds

Message 27/28             27-Sep-98  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: Another

Sedusa

Well, if I had a portable DAT, we'd find out if something was lost in the process, but I'm skint, so we don't!   I still think it's a good idea, xoxos

Message 28/28             08-Oct-98  @  08:08 AM   -   RE: Another

Errata

For drilling...
If your sampler can define it's loop points (I hope it can) than just set the loop point way down so that it plays back only a 32nd (or even less) of the sampled sound. I've done this with human voices, snares, kicks you name it. It drills.
To effect it try assigning an LFO to a Low Pass filter and season to taste. Or you could assign a controller, like the mod wheel, to the filter and push it around in real time. If you run this through a flange effect with only a little wet (and maybe 30% pan) the changes are subtle but very effective.
Good luck...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)