aaa cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 28-Aug-98  @  02:53 AM   -   cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

xoxos

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

i need a speech / voice synth!

there's no market for 'em in tucson, and the ones on the web are nasty (but not the right kind.)

more description in thread - u.s. speakers/speech synths.

thanks! any assistance deeply appreciated.

xoxos.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/28             03-Sep-98  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

buggo

Link?:  No link

ti-99? isn't that a calculator?

Message 22/28             03-Sep-98  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

hilliard

No, it was/is some sorta home computer. Pretty cheap and cheezy stuff (mostly games from what I've seen), but supposedly it had a separate speech synth (hardware & software....I think). Oh well, here's a site with some stuff on it, if you wanna check it out.

http://www.zock.com/8-Bit/D_TI994A.HTML

BTW, A guy I work with is gonna check at home for a piece of s/w that he had (dos version) for a soundcard (early 80's I think). He said "ya probably won't want it...it sounds really bad....too synthetic". Yeah right, that's *exactly* what I want....heheheh. If he finds it I'll let ya know how good (bad, really, eh?) it is.

Message 23/28             03-Sep-98  @  06:10 PM   -   RE: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

99devils

The TI99 had a speech synth module (hardware). Good luck finding one. Amigas have speech synthesis built into the OS. Also there used to be a program for the Commodore 64 called SAM which would be perfect for you. Unfortunately, I threw all that shit away last year...

-Craig

Message 24/28             04-Sep-98  @  03:30 AM   -   RE: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

xoxos

hmm, sounds like a tasty lead on the zock. haven't checked that yet, but for anyone else plugging this thread: lots of nice tts (text to speech) out there, but all 'natural' sounding stuff.

the spanish/english translator i've found goes for $99 at 'the edge' mall gadget store (tandy corp) as model # 42-66111, made by seiko model # sd-4500. been several months, but i remember the voice on it is nastygood.

the ti99 computer was a competitor in the states with the commodore 64 and radio shack's 'coco' (like the uk's 'dragon') and all that stuff had killer roboto TTS, but it's all passed on. i still have my coco (laugh, go on) but it takes 20 minutes to warm up.

kicking myself for not spending the $15 for the module 4 years back. who knew?

xoxos.
ps. thanks everyone. it's being a bit of a job.

Message 25/28             10-Sep-98  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

Peezahj

I've got an excellent speech synthesis program for the atari, to my ears it sounds straight out of Kraftwerk/Speak n' Spell. I could get it to you, or upload it to a site if you've got space.

Hilevelt

Message 26/28             11-Sep-98  @  03:09 AM   -   RE: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

xoxos

well, that'd be great, especially since i'll probably be getting the translator otherwise within the week %^(

however... i have a pc. since i'm a new pc user, i have no idea if there's any way to convert the programme?????

well, thanks and all,

xoxos.

Message 27/28             25-Sep-98  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

hilliard

Hey, the current issue of Future Music has an article on synthesized vocals, titled "Robovox". Pretty cool article, concentrating mostly on the use of recorded "phonemes" (like some of the Kraftwerk stuff, and the newer tracks from Komputer - like the track "Bill Gates", etc). They then go into a bit on pitch shifting and formant shifting, etc. It seems like a pretty "involved" idea, and I think you (xoxos) may have mentioned something similar in an earlier response to this thread, but if it's different, you may wanna check out the FM article. Also, on their CD with the issue, they have a bunch of phonemes already recorded for you. I might try messing with the samples and see if it's worth pursuing for my needs.

They also have some info on a few progs/devices that we've dicscussed here already (Simple Text, Vocal Writer, Speak-n-Spell, palm-top translators, etc), and a section on some current/available units for vocoding (mainly the newer mutil-fx boxes, but a few real vocoders, too). They cover a few examples of artists who have done some of this work, too.

Message 28/28             26-Sep-98  @  05:20 AM   -   RE: cansomebodypickupmythreadonspeechsynths?

xoxos

will have to look. i did buy the seiko/berlitz sd-4500 span/eng talking dictionary. last resort at $100. killer voice. no punctuation, but pronounces whatever you type. changes accent based on location in sentance. will have to mess with it because the 1/8" headphone jack on mine is so quiet i have to amplify it way more than an unpowered mic, and for some reason it doesn't sound the same through the jack.

hate to admit it, but for the time i've spent looking, it was a good deal considering what little i found. it's nasty sounding!

xoxos.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)