aaa nOOb need tips for producing dance - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: nOOb need tips for producing dance

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 29-Sep-03  @  09:26 AM   -   nOOb need tips for producing dance

DJROYRISER2003

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm a DJ and I just got a Electribe Mx (the new blue one) and have no experience at all for producing dance tracks, so any tips would help.
Thanks
Peace,
Dj Roy Riser

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/29             01-Oct-03  @  07:12 AM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

RagnarOk

Link?: Link

That's what I call self promotion ha!

:-)

Message 22/29             01-Oct-03  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

k

Link?:  No link

well Roy you have two choices - stay hardware or go s/w

hardware: use the MX as your sequencer, add a sampler & small mixer & a couple of cheap multi-fx units or a delay and a multi-fx whatever to add fx to the sounds.

mix down to your PC and burn from there (or you'll have to get some machine/recorder to mix down onto

-----------------

s/w: add a pc midi & audio sequencer into the equation you can import MX patterns and wire the MX into the mix sync'd if you like via a fast asio2 soundcard

--------

or perhaps think about a s/w like ABLETON which can also be used live but that means getting a decent laptop which add's considerably to the cost. You can use Ableton at home to compose tracks but it's more about live performance which can be tweaked later.

----------------

personaly I'd advise going with a PC sequencer simply because the power-to-price ratio is very high.

But there's nowt wrong with hardware, and hardware is so cheap now s/h cos the bottom's dropped out of the market. If you go hardware you need a sampler for all your loops & to extend your drumsound pallette, also some type of multi-timbrel synth for pads and what have you.

Message 23/29             01-Oct-03  @  09:44 AM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

realtrance

I've found it, the last civilized thread on the internet. Fighting off the temptation to simply be obnoxious, people here have actually communicated some useful advice to someone asking a question.

Preserve this thread (and perhaps, this forum) in amber before it is too late!

rt

Message 24/29             01-Oct-03  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

BOO

Link?:  Link

Ah cheers - I've been wondering about that for ages.

I've got the ER-1 electribe and it's awesome. That MX is
the one with the tubes. Coo.

I'd get some DAW sofware for recording and mixing all the
parts. You can get an 8 track copy of Pro tools for nothing
these days... Protools free.

Message 25/29             01-Oct-03  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

DJROYRISER2003

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  
I think I know what to do, I'm gonna go half and half, mostly because I like having the knobs and pads at my finger tips, and being able to make a beat on the fly. So I'm thinking my next mission is to build myself a new tower. Anyone got any reccomendations on soundcards? Please no one tell me Audigy or anything like that I want studio quality not Best Buy quality.
Thanks again for all your help,
Roy Riser

Message 26/29             01-Oct-03  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

Yonce

for a soundcard check out the m-audio stuff they reasonably priced and great quality. I love my delta 44 and I've heard alot of good things about the audiophile. another option is to get on of thoes all in one midi controler/audio interface keyboards. I think m-audio makes one and novation does as well. or the tascam us428 (i think thats what its called) audio interface plus control surface/mixer all in one. I have heard good things about that one as well. I'm sure other people can fill you in on the details....I haven't been soundcard shopping in a long time.

Message 27/29             01-Oct-03  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

k

midiman audiophile 24/96, or, hoontech dsp24/96 (either the VALUE version or the MKII) WITH the optional midi i/o & s/pdif bracket - or the terretec thingy (Cant remember the name) they are all worth a look - I tend to recommend the hoontech myself as it has a CD connector which the audiophile doesnt, and I think the asio driver for the hoontech are better, but the audiophile works good with Cubase SX etc.

if you get a fast card like that then you can do the following:

sync the MX to the s/w host sequencer so it plays it's internal patterns in sync.

Bring the MX audio OUt's (stereo) IN to the soundcard L/R inputs

Have the MX playing along in realtime on the host sequencer s/w mixer alongside any sequenced s/w synths, drums, and audio loops and parts etc.

You could also sequence the MX from the s/w host sequencer, IF it's internal; sounds are sequence-able from an external midi source (I dunno this box)

An athlon 200-2400 has gobs of power and there's masses of freeware VSTi synths & drumboxes etc to choose from to make great sounds, as well as tons fo freeware VST fx, from compressors & gates to filters, delays, reverbs etc etc etc... most of which can be automated to do stuff like automated filter moves etc etc....

If you then add a midi keyboard you can play the s/w synths along with the composition in realtime, hearing the s/w synths etc trigger as you hit the keys in realtime!... Just like playing a hardware unit from a master keyboard!

It's amazing when you first get a system like that and play the s/w in realtime!

Message 28/29             01-Oct-03  @  07:15 PM     Edit: 01-Oct-03  |  07:40 PM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

milan

yeah... M-audio Audiophile will suit you much better than any "blaster" out there. plus you'll be able to play s/w synths in realtime, thanks to good drivers.

oops. k posted just before me

Message 29/29             02-Oct-03  @  02:01 AM   -   RE: nOOb need tips for producing dance

Scott

I agree that M-Audio cards are the best all-around for production on a PC. RME is awesome too if you can afford it. But I wouldn't recommend Terratec based on my personal experiences.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)