aaa ACID vs. SAW - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ACID vs. SAW

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             15-Oct-98  @  02:36 AM   -   ACID vs. SAW

Rhett

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am on a limited budget, thus I am planning to go completely audio, utilizing samples and recording what I need from synths and modules with their built in arppegiators or sequencers, and then pasting it in my song. I am doing this party to save the expense of having to possibly buy a mixer and having to deal with the problems and hassles of MIDI(I am a newbie, so I do not have much knowledge in this) I should also mention I have only 1 synth, and only a sampler, so having a full fledged midi system does not make sense. If anybody completely disagrees with my decision, or has suggestions, please let me know, but anyways, to the point. I was wondering what everybodys verdict on SAW vs. ACID in ease of use and versitility. I would like an easy recording/audio solution, and these seem to fit my needs. I also plan on picking up a DARLA in the near future along with my purchase of one of these, for its high quality inputs, and outputs so if I do get a mixer or outboard effects, I can send them through there, or record to another source.
Any input would be graciously appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             15-Oct-98  @  03:14 AM   -   RE: ACID vs. SAW

Rhett

Me again, just wondering if I could accomplish what I want to above by using the Cool Edit Pro multitrack recorder included with the Darla card and also purchase Cakewalk, cause I hate to completely leave out midi, as I know it can be a powerful tool. Just wanted your opinions on CakeWalk and CoolEditPro vs. ACID or SAW
Thanx,
Rhett

Message 3/3             15-Oct-98  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: ACID vs. SAW

Errata

What's your style?
If it's all loop based you really can get away with the sampler as your only external, especially if your sticking to more minimalist stuff. But you say your on a budget so your sampler might not be all that, in which case the more out's you have from external sources (even one synth) the more polyphony you can devote to complex samples and textures. Also I prefer to have different effects on different voices and the extra 4 outs I have per synth allow me to maximize my effects units. (Delays and reverbs sometimes sound like crap when sampled because it's hard to capture their natural decay in a loop).
I have never seen SAW so I can't compare the two software progs but I've used ACID and it rocks. What takes me an hour with my hardware sampler takes 2 minutes on acid. Of course sometimes during that hour I've stumbled onto some neat stuff I never would have discovered with ACID but that's a whole other topic.

Errata...

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)