aaa CD WRITERS....i need the down lo - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: CD WRITERS....i need the down lo

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             01-Sep-98  @  05:28 AM   -   CD WRITERS....i need the down lo

srend2

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

IDE or SCSI......I don't have any available pci slots.....do the ide's suck that bad. I'm not sure what to do because most models have similar specs but range from $230-800 US dollars. I really don't want to waste my money on a shite drive that skips . Speed is not a factor. I figure any drive is faster than sending my dat's to the local studio to have them burned........any help would be great......thanks, steve

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             01-Sep-98  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: CD WRITERS....i need the down lo

Rodsta

IDE - vs - SCSI

Main concerns would be how fast is your PC and what software do you want to run.

IDE works fine on newer PCs with modern EIDE.
Older, slower PCs with earlier IDE technology would be a problem due to interrupted data to the CD-R during the burn.

However because IDE is only now becoming more common for CD-Rs a lot of the software mainly supports SCSI only.
For making CD-ROMS you don't need fancy software and whatever comes with the CDR will do you fine. As a muso you'll sooner or later be looking at one of the better music CD writing proggies, like CD architect, Wavelab, or Samplitude 2496. CD Architect is excellent, does red book standard, and recently became the first of the big proggies to support a lot of the IDE drives.

So work out what software you want to use, go to the manufacturer's site, check out the list of supported drives, and buy one of those.

Speed.

You may say it's not a factor, but go for the latest. You might get a 2x a bit cheaper, but after you've burned a few CDs you'll wish you got a 4x.

Brands

The best seem to be Ricoh, Yamaha, HP, and Smart and Friendly. I've got a Ricoh 6200 internal IDE version and it works great. I'm using CD Architect. It will read most CDs (to extract digital audio) at 6x without glitches, and records fine every time at 2x.

CD-R vs CD-RW

I'd go a CD-RW capable model (they can do CDRW as well as CDR) as they're not that much dearer, and although the rewritable blanks are still exxy and don't work in other CD players, they're good for practise burns and data storage.

I know there are some good user sites out there comparing various models but I don't have the URLs sorry.

Hope this helps...remember decide the software first and then get a compatible drive..looks like IDE as you don't have any more PCI slots for a SCSI card...and at the moment, that means CD Architect by Sonic Foundry...but it's awesome anyway.

Rod.

Message 3/3             01-Sep-98  @  06:17 PM   -   RE: CD WRITERS....i need the down lo

rouge

If you've got a SCSI card then go SCSI always.

I use the Philips 3610 IDE CDR - its Okay but Wavelab doesn't recognise IDE drives.

If you haven't got a spare PCI slot then you're fukked - whats using your PCI slots?

I would get SCSI myself but every IRQ is being used.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)