aaa Are you BACKED UP? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Are you BACKED UP?

Viewing all 30 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             20-Jul-04  @  03:16 PM     Edit: 20-Jul-04  |  03:16 PM   -   Are you BACKED UP?

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Based on something I read in SoS, I got to thinkin (this has probably been covered off here recently but what the hey?! eh?!)  

(Oh, and this could also probably be in the PC Music forum but it applies to Mac and linux heads, as well so here we are..)

How often to people back-up? I mean honestly? And what kinda processes do you go through? Just bung it all on DVDR? Use an app which helps devise backup schemes? Manually pick through and compress stuff before copying to CDR? Use portable harddrives? Backup to servers on a personal LAN?

Also, this Monkey's Audio file compressor looks damn nice... according to these specs anyway.. but do people still bother to crush stuff?!

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/comparison.html

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             20-Jul-04  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Maarten

I happily own a not-large enough HD, I was gonna upgrade to something bigger but your question may well just have me not do that. Because yes, I only backup to CD-r to actually free up space on my HD. I know I should be doing this on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. But I'm afraid that if I get me a 120GB hard disc it'll take at least another year till my next backup and that would not be so smart.
I put everything uncompressed on the cd's.

cheers,
Maarten

Message 3/30             20-Jul-04  @  04:32 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

craig

I back things up to DVD whenever I've made significant progress on something. When I'm finished working with a project, and I've done significant work on it, then I save it to a Cakewalk bundle and copy it to DVD.

When I've finished an album, I burn all the work files to two seperate DVDs. I really should take one set to work or to my parents' place in case my house burns down  

-Craig

Message 4/30             20-Jul-04  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

k

Link?:  Link

i back up to network & dvd

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/30             20-Jul-04  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Mindspawn

Network and DVD here, as well.... about every other month for system stuffs, and up to daily backups for commercial work, though usually, I do more like Craig, only when I've got to a point of significant progress.

Message 6/30             20-Jul-04  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

lothario

Link?:  No link

i use 3,5 inch disks, where all my work is; midi, sounds - everything, simple as that

Message 7/30             21-Jul-04  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

dARKSTATe

Interesting, so far no one has professed to compressing their data beforehand?

Gonna check out this monkey's audio anyhoo.. see if it lives upto the hype

Message 8/30             21-Jul-04  @  01:16 PM     Edit: 21-Jul-04  |  01:18 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

i use winrar to compress and save to dvd if it's massive, otherwise i just drop the project straight onto dvd. i also back up to another drive on the network.

Message 9/30             21-Jul-04  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

one scratched, unreadable WAV file I can deal with. One scratched, unreadable RAR or ZIP? Now that will waste an entire project, innit?

Message 10/30             21-Jul-04  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

xoxos

1 cd-r 1, 2x a year, just good songs.

Message 11/30             21-Jul-04  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

multipart rars innit. but yeah not ideal. i've only had one project go over 4.5 gb and that could have been smaller if i'd have cleared all the unused takes.

Message 12/30             21-Jul-04  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

how do multipart rars solve the problem? If one of them bites it, the whole thing is still shot.

Message 13/30             21-Jul-04  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

nah bollocks you can recover the contents, unless they stradle 2 rars.

Message 14/30             21-Jul-04  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

craig

The computer geek in me says that I'd never compress a backup, because that's just one more thing that could go wrong when recovery time comes...

Message 15/30             21-Jul-04  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

... so i went and checked the one project i've got compressed, all good - phew.

anyway, with twice the capacity dvd writers affordable soon, there's even less need to compress

Message 16/30             22-Jul-04  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

SignalRunners - BLU

there selling those sony dvd writers - 8.4 capacity or something for 100 squids in comet

add another 100 squids for 50 discs or whatever they cost and thats terabytes of backup innit?

does a cd/dvd have a shelf life to speak of assuming they are burned, cased and stored?

Im sure i read of some brands od cd's only having 10 year life or something- surely not?

Message 17/30             22-Jul-04  @  05:08 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

[smacks self]

This thread topic has been staring me in the face for over 24 hours now and I've missed out on a laxative reference all this time?

I'm losing my touch...

Message 18/30             22-Jul-04  @  05:13 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Influx

psylichon husks

I mean..psyllium...

Message 19/30             22-Jul-04  @  05:27 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

tres esoterique, dave!

Message 20/30             22-Jul-04  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Hydro

I backed up some songs to CD a while back, (uncompressed) and was unable to recover them. Lost forever! I'm sure it happens to people in all lines of work all over the world, but when its your music it somehow feels like you've lost a relative or something..Too tragic.... Anyways I've been fearing my Hard Drive's gonna crash (its been making wierd noises) so I've been looking to Cheap, Cheap (did I mention Cheap) alternatives. So far I've come up with a zip drive. You can buy a 250 mb external Iomega for like 50 bucks on e-bay, and another ten disks for 30-40. Thats 2.5 gigs for 30-40 bucks, and from what I hear the disk are pretty solid and dependable. You'd have to deal with alot of disk's but you can get a zip disk case that holds a bunch. I guess I could just save to 200 3.5mb disks. Those things are cheap as hell....

Message 21/30             22-Jul-04  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Zazza

Link?:  No link

I have 2 Firewire LaCie 320 GB disks.. a working disc and a backup disk..

The price on these beasties is dropping like a stone..

Also, every so often I backup to DVD... dual layer I will wait for the pioneer I think..

Message 22/30             23-Jul-04  @  01:23 AM     Edit: 23-Jul-04  |  01:29 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

Hydro, that's a really bad way to back up, in my opinion. Aside from the headache of all those discs, think about it: You're paying over $12 per gigabyte to back up. That's too much in this day and age.

For $25 more than a used Zip250, get THIS burner and get a 10 pack of these for $10 and yer set for 47 gigs of pure backup enjoyment at a bargain basement price of under 22 cents a gig! You go boy!

Message 23/30             26-Jul-04  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

craig

Zip drives aren't as reliable as you're being led to believe. The drives sometimes break, taking the disks with them, and magnetic media isn't going to have the same shelf life as optical.

Message 24/30             26-Jul-04  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

CydoniaCell

too true... often a dead zip drive will screw up the disk in it on the way out... I've had it happen, twice... zip drive dead fo rnew discernable reason!!! no good

I keep CDR's of each project, and back up via network to my family PC (from the studio PC)... each piece/song/track (whatever yo wnat to call it) usualy get's it's own disk... i know that's a bit wasteful, but it allows me to organize with more efficiency and the media is cheap.

e

Message 25/30             27-Jul-04  @  11:03 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

k

imo, as there's no real 'safe' archive for a reasonable budget (even CD's can fuck up) i think backing up to networked drives and moving data again as HD's fail is best, continual backup managment so-to-speak... although sure, that's not too realistic for most people who only have the one PC, but it IS very cost effective as HD's are so cheap - it may be worth picking up some old cheap s/h PC just for that job

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 26/30             27-Jul-04  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

cheddar

indeed, its not the tech its the operation, automatics

I am looking at/getting a 200gb hd for backing up and running a mirror process on a weekly nbasis

there was a product that looked good - Mirra, essentially a linux machine which did back up automatically and for cable internet guys (24/7) files would be served to anywhere through the main companies file info on the device - OK you got to trust mirra but me I say there is no security get over it

Message 27/30             27-Jul-04  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

i just remembered quicksync from iomega. it came with my zip drive. now it looks after my logic tracks, backing up (at my request or once a day) all new and changed files to a network drive. it can do revisions as well - like it keeps the last x versions of a file.

Message 28/30             27-Jul-04  @  10:13 PM     Edit: 27-Jul-04  |  10:16 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

e-effect

At the end of my session, I back up all new files on a CDRW. This includes OrionPro files (my virtual studio), .wav, .mp3, etc. My CDRW directories mirror my hard drive file structure. Then every three months I burn CDRs of ALL my music files.

e

Message 29/30             27-Jul-04  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

k

howdyamean?... after each session... before a song is finished, while the track is being developed?... or just at the end after mixing & finalising everything?

Message 30/30             29-Jul-04  @  07:23 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

e-effect

The answer to all of your questions is "yes" . The reason being is that my writing/recording/mixing methods are a bit unorthodox. For one thing, I don't write the song, then mix, and then master. I do all three as I go along since I use virtual studio software. I actually have a compressor as a master effect on all my trax as I write! A little different, I know, but it works for me.

So everytime I change or add something to a song, I save that file as a new file. At the end of the day, I go to my music directory where all of my songs are stored and do a search for all the new files I made that day. I copy these new files to my CDRW where I have a mirror image of my hard drive music directories. I never have to overwrite my song files either since I save a new file everytime I change something, which looks something like this: "Song Name 07-29-04."

Since all of my music files (songs, mp3's, samples, synth patches/presets, etc.) are stored in the same root directory, when I do a search for new files everything comes up! That way I see all of the new files I made that day and copy them to the appropriate CDRW for backup. It may sound convoluted, but it takes me literally less than 2 minutes to back up all of my new work for a day and I have two copies of all of my files at all times: one on the hard drive and one on CDRW.

e

Viewing all 30 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)