aaa adjusting a microphone stand - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: adjusting a microphone stand

Viewing all 30 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             11-Sep-04  @  05:30 PM   -   adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I have just received the microphone stand I have ordered from Thomann, K&M 25905 (see link). This is my first microphone stand! I really like it. However, something puzzles me. I have adjusted it in every way, and tightened the screws. Still however, one can freely move it in one joint, namely where the boom meets the (vertical) stand. Is this supposed to be the case? I would have thought you should be able to adjust it so that it wouldn't budge unless you unlocked the screws.
Thank you
Anders

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             11-Sep-04  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

k

Link?:  Link

yes that's right, you can probably move it when clamped down - but within reason - all mic stands can be moved if enuff force is exerted, even when tightened... however, you'd need to apply a good amount of force to do it... depends how strong you are... you might have been last years winner of 'Europes Strongest Man' for all we know... and wrestle bears for a hobby

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/30             12-Sep-04  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

Hello K
Thanks for your reply. Well, you see, it runs smoothly, just as if it wasn't tightened in this one joint I mentioned. For all the other joints, one has to unfasten the screws before the joints will move. But not the one where the boom meets the stand itself. The advantage is that one can now move it if needed. The disadvantage is that it may move by itself away from the desired position. I still wonder if this is some sort of oddball design. It seems to be well made, so I doubt it's a flaw. Also, I wonder if have not, after all, adjusted it correctly, despite several attempts. More general info on mic stands is most welcome.
Anders

Message 4/30             12-Sep-04  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

pict

Link?:  No link

If you you want to move the boom to a certain position then it's a good idea to always slacken off the tighteners then retighten because the tighteners last alot longer than if you manouver the boom once it's already tightened.A lot of people do this as it makes it easier to make small adjustments to the position but it wears the shims out on the tighteners.At the point where the boom is attached to the vertical section of the stand there is a small threaded wheel you can adjust this up and down.Once you have the boom attached if there is a bit of free play you can adjust that wheel until it meets the boom section that always works for me.

Message 5/30             13-Sep-04  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Dominic

Another point worth remembering when working with microphone stands and vocalists is to stick a bit of masking tape on the floor, where you want the vocalist to stand. That way they can use this and you won't get any problems arising from level fluctuations.

Message 6/30             13-Sep-04  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

beds

strap them to a chair, head in a vice, it's the only way.

Message 7/30             13-Sep-04  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Dominic

Yer and make them feel really uncomfortable by putting the lights on full blast, give them a really loud headphone mix, keep shaking your head negatively, tell them they've only got one take and offer no reverb. That'll give you quality. Promise.

Message 8/30             13-Sep-04  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

k

cattle prods work well too for achieving those hard to get highs!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/30             13-Sep-04  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

milan

heheh.

i think he meant the point where the boom is screwed ONTO the stand. you know, where there is a small rotating screw facing upwards. if thats the one giving you problems, then i think you'll just have to move the whole stand around with it.

Message 10/30             13-Sep-04  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

Hello Pict
Thank you for your helpful comment. What you suggest is right in line with how I thought it should be. There is indeed this little threaded wheel on my stand too, but somehow it doesn't work this way. I have now taken the stand apart completely, so that I could better understand the mechanics of the joint giving me trouble (where the boom sits on the vertical part of the stand). It seems to be designed so that you can move it around in circles. That is, if the threaded wheel is fastened against the joint sitting on the stand - as you suggest - you can move the boom around in circles endlessly, left or right, without unscrewing anything. If, however, you unfasten the little threaded wheel so that it no longer presses against the joint sitting on the stand, you will unscrew the joint if you turn the boom leftwards (counter clockwise), as you would expect, while the situation is unchanged if you turn the boom around in circles rightwards (clockwise), i.e. you can do it ad infinitum without unscrewing the joint.
If it becomes a problem that the mic moves away from the desired position, I suggest one hold it into place by fastening the mic cable. Still, I wonder if this is the usual thing.
Cheers
PS: I would have replied earlier but have been frightfully busy over the weekend, and therefore unable to take a closer look before now.

Message 11/30             14-Sep-04  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Zazza

klitgaard?

is that like a 'cricket box'?

Message 12/30             14-Sep-04  @  07:12 AM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

What? You're losing me. What's a 'cricket box'?
Thanks
Anders

Message 13/30             14-Sep-04  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

k

so it's the rotating tightening collar on the vertical post just before the boom which is loose yes?

sometimes these collars are made of plastic which isn't very strong and if overtightened, they split - once split, you can't ever tighten them properly.

Message 14/30             14-Sep-04  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

Hi K
Yes and no. The collar (or threaded wheel as I referred to it above) is both loose and not so. It's tightened so as to press against the joint that is screwed on from above. But when I turn the boom, for instance in circles, it moves along with it. However, I'm quite sure it's supposed to do this. The stand is rugged, brand new, and generally appears to be designed in this way. Still, it may turn out to be an impractical design - I don't know yet.
Thanks
Anders

Message 15/30             14-Sep-04  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

k

i think we need a picture to clarify which connection joint we're talking about

Message 16/30             14-Sep-04  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

milan

no no... its simple. its like Anders said. rest easy, its supposed to be that way i believe.

Message 17/30             14-Sep-04  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Thanks, guys, for your continued interest! Here's a picture of the mic stand in question.
Anders

Message 18/30             14-Sep-04  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Influx

wow thats a hell of a lot of responses for a mic stand 

Message 19/30             14-Sep-04  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Oh, no, no, no! I screwed up! Sorry! Here's the collar!
Anders

Message 20/30             14-Sep-04  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

Let me explain the reason for the confusion. I bought this stand because I need one that is quite low, so I didn't stretch it out. If you look at the distance between where I indicated the collar on the first and the second picture - this distance was zero on my stand, the stand being in its lowest position. Now that I have stretched out the stand, it appears to behave differently. I am currently investigating this. I just wanted to tell you of my mistake right away. God, I am so impractical - I need a friggin manual for a mic stand!
Anders

Message 21/30             14-Sep-04  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

milan

YES THATS HOW IT IS ON ALL MIC STANDS AND WHAT I SAID TWO TIMES ALREADY!

does that sort it out? i deal with mic stands every day and they all do that, thats just how they are sheesh...

Message 22/30             14-Sep-04  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

milan

and influx.... seen anybody else asking tech questions around here lately?

Message 23/30             14-Sep-04  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

psylichon

hate to muck things up even more, but i believe those are the same stands we have at the studio I work at, and they tighten no matter the extension. [shrug]

Message 24/30             14-Sep-04  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

Well, now that I have stretched it a little, I am able to tighten it, so that it doesn't move. This is what I really wanted. Thanks for your help, guys!
Anders
PS: I bought an SM57 to go with it, a mic I first learnt about in this forum, I am really learning a lot here. But I guess you can tell…

Message 25/30             15-Sep-04  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Zazza

i think i'm going to cry...

Message 26/30             15-Sep-04  @  07:34 AM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

k

aha - yes, probably if the stand is lowered to its lowest position the collar might not grip - but raise it just an inch and it will tighten ok as you've discovered

Message 27/30             15-Sep-04  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

k

and that's cos at the top of the vertical pole, just the last inch, it tapers in very slightly to facilitate the joint with the screw cap, and the collar cant tighten properly around that slightly thinner tapered bit.

Message 28/30             15-Sep-04  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

Thanks, K, you're a good mate!

Message 29/30             15-Sep-04  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

k

ah!... it's your round then!!

Message 30/30             15-Sep-04  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: adjusting a microphone stand

Anders Klitgaard

Indeed! Cheers!

Viewing all 30 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)