aaa beginner advice - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: beginner advice

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 24-Aug-03  @  06:36 PM   -   beginner advice

albrecht

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi, I would very appreciate it if musicians here could give me advice to start making electronic music (the technical). What gear do they use? what will i be needing?

How is this list (will it work):

-nord lead 1 synthesiser
-computer with logic Audio
-mackie 1202 mixer
-alesis monitor 1

if people here could give advice on what i should start out with it would help
Thank you

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/30             25-Aug-03  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

Defector z

Hey - the all in one software packages aren't like an all in one h/w unit. Plus - the s/w these days allow you to bring other stuff in. No need to buy 1 sequencer, a couple of synths, and a couple of samplers (all software) when a perfectly good program like Orion already HAS that stuff. Plus, a simple prog like Orion will get you started quick, but won't let you down after a few months. You'll STILL be learning new stuff, making decent music, AND having fun.

That being said - h/w synths are great.

IMO. ;-)

Message 22/30             26-Aug-03  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: beginner advice

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

Link?: Link

C'mon Dave, ya killin' me. It goes without saying.

Message 23/30             26-Aug-03  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

99devils

about orion/beginner sw-- i am a little hesitant to spend a couple hundred dollars on this program, because i dont really like the idea of a 'all in one' package. i would be more comfortable with buying individual units ( one by one) and learning how to use them fully, gradually. is that a good idea?

------------------------------------

That's the best idea. There are a lot of good arguments for software, but if you come from a musical background like me and you're used to using real instruments then I think hardware might be the way to go for you.

Another issue is if you know or reasonably expect you're going to play live you probably want hardware. PCs are making strides in stability and some people do get them working fine in live situations, but I still don't trust them (and I'm a computer programmer   ).

your mileage may vary, and all have good suggestions.

-Craig

PS - the Nord Lead I is a fantastic synth and very underrated around here. Plenty of people use Novas and Virii and the more feature-rich synths, but the few of us using Nords would rather lose girlfriends than their Nord Lead   I've got an NL1 and a modular myself.

Message 24/30             26-Aug-03  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

albrecht

thanks for the many replies---

99devils-- do not many people make music with only a laptop computer? i have been checking second-hand prices for apples, and it seems one can get a very capable computer for just reasonable price. right now i do not have a computer for music, so i think this would be a wise first investment. say, 'controller/synth ' and laptop + audio sw

Message 25/30             26-Aug-03  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

albrecht

as much as im being put off by a primarily software studio, im realizing/convinced it may be easiest for starting

99devils-- i agree all of the way. the nord is so hands on/flexible -- its like using a carpenters tool

Message 26/30             26-Aug-03  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

xoxos

nord 1, logic.. you've obviously got a discerning mind.. :p perhaps logic outdated (to freeware?) unless you have a h/w studio.. the nord worth it purely for the pitch bend.

spent a lot on h/w myself, but nowadays this is basically all the kit i use (but i'm also really interested in increasing respectability of freeware, so) certainly wouldn't go further w/o mroe direction (h/w for live, et c.)

Message 27/30             27-Aug-03  @  12:56 AM   -   RE: beginner advice

D

All s/w is a GREAT way to get started. No fussing around with cables, etc. Just music. Start slowly - it's easy to drop a crap load of money and not have a CLUE how to hook it all together.

Message 28/30             27-Aug-03  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

99devils

I agree that software is a great way to get started. I'd be a little bit leery of laptops though. They're more expensive than desktops, and no matter how much muscle you've got, you could always use more. Plus, if you're on a Mac lappy, you're going to be limited to only firewire expansion for the most part. Even if you do have PCMCIA, that stuff is expensive.

It'll get you started, but you can sort yourself out with a decent AMD based PC setup with sound card for like $500 US if you look hard and you're willing to get your hands a bit dirty filling out a barebones system.

I just did some quick checking online, and the first site I went to has a barebones AMD Athlon XP1700 w/nForce chipset, integrated graphics, and 256 MB of RAM, already screwed into the chassis. $339 USD. Add a hard disk and more memory, say another $200 or so. Now you're really rocking, for the price of that s/h powerbook.

FYI, I'm running an XP-2000 with 512MB of memory, and it's enough for most any dance mix you're going to throw at it. I don't use virtual synths though, so your mileage will vary. Like I said, you can never have enough power  

Anyways, there's my $.02

-Craig

Message 29/30             27-Aug-03  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: beginner advice

Influx

ayup Mick..I know...

Message 30/30             28-Aug-03  @  07:47 AM     Edit: 28-Aug-03  |  07:49 AM   -   RE: beginner advice

psylichon

Whatever you use, just use it creatively. You could be a worldwide hit using free software you could download in an afternoon (think about it... download a free studio that will make you a star in an afternoon)... ya just gotta use it creatively. Sure your freeware synth may not sound quite as neat as that $500 Native Instruments VSTi, but no one's gonna care if your song is better than NI-dude's.

Even with modest PC hardware... you can get around limitations by planning out your song, bouncing down live synths to audio tracks to free up your processor. you can get away with very little, and if you put the time and imagination into it, it will sound every bit as good as the other guy's.

No, it will sound better, because you actually had to think about it. Everything you need to know is on google, just go read read read read.... then plaaaaaaaay  

psy

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)