aaa What is electronic music? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: What is electronic music?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 06-Apr-04  @  07:00 AM   -   What is electronic music?

casparproject

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

So I'm in the psychology wing of the uni I'm currently attending and a display on the wall catches my eye. The topic is something like "Cognitive function and listening to music." There's also a haphazardly placed pic of one of the Yammie grooveboxes on the page, which made me curious. In the first paragraph, I see what seems to be a very closedminded reference to Baroque classical music vs Techno. They refer to Techno as having "no real harmonic or logical construction." Holy shit, I think, where are these ppl getting this information. They try to back the statement up with another bald assertion "techno music is constructed for the purpose of mimicing industrial noise." The freakiest part is that there are references on this project. I'm going to try to find where they got this info, but this is in a post-graduate psych course. I can't believe they are saying this stuff.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/33             07-Apr-04  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

mcc>

Link?:  No link

so why is ET dancing?

Message 22/33             07-Apr-04  @  04:19 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

d

'cause he's gotta poop real bad and he's saving it for the prof's desk

Message 23/33             07-Apr-04  @  07:15 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

psylichon

Link?: Link

attempts to quantify the value of art/creation amuse me to no end. Like... o- kaaaay...

Message 24/33             07-Apr-04  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

craig

Hmmm. Interesting that... I think there will be a place for electronic music in history.. They taught a chapter on musiqe concrete in my music history course.. That was in '93-93 so it was only a few years old (comparitively). People had the same criticisms about jazz, blues, and ragtime when they were popular as well.

-Craig

Message 25/33             07-Apr-04  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

dub-munkey

musique concrete is shite though....

greg

Message 26/33             07-Apr-04  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

mcc>

but only when you listen to it.

Message 27/33             07-Apr-04  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

dub-munkey

if they are still talking about musique concrete now they'll definitly still be talking techno 50 years from now when acid-hillbilly is all the rage.....

i do have to bite my tongue when talking about music with elders....whenever my grandparents ask to hear an example of my stuff i say 'no, you'll hate it' purely cos if it isn't sinatra or country and western they dont consider it music at all.....and their parents probably thought the same about well swing and country and western.....

greg

Message 28/33             07-Apr-04  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

craig

True, it's not very listenable but it did lay the foundation for a lot of electronic music. Cutting up tape loops was sampling before there were samplers.

-Craig

Message 29/33             08-Apr-04  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

lurker

I think they are wrong on the "logical construction", but as far as harmony, serious dance music (including techno) does not involve any harmonic complexity.

There is a name for dance music which uses harmonic progressions: it is called "cheese".

Message 30/33             08-Apr-04  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

Broken Silence

Why are we arguing about what some smug Fuck said about a GENRE of music anyways?

Make your own innit

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)