aaa New ASR-X ! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New ASR-X !

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 28-Jul-98  @  01:02 AM   -   New ASR-X !

John

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Have anyone heard of this new asr-x called an asr-x pro. Look in keyboard magazine or
Its supposed to be red too.. any info???

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/35             29-Aug-98  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

John

What is the price of the asr-x pro??

Message 22/35             03-Sep-98  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

self_osc

I donīt know whatīs the price in the US, but I was ordered mine for $1700 factory-direct. But this price includes the imporeter cache and shipping. In my f*cking country this is the only way to purchase it and itīs takes wait a month and a 75% depossit. Mine come tomorrow and I really excited.

Dan

Message 23/35             09-Sep-98  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

buggo

oh, and another thing on that ad: it does say that it comes with a program in ROM called "stomper" (hmm) that produces "fat analog drums" or some shit like that. Maybe it IS zap's version?

Message 24/35             09-Sep-98  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

skul

it is Zap's Stomper. he has said as much on the ASR-X mailing list.

Message 25/35             13-Sep-98  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

self_osc

Well, the RedBox is here and is HOT!Let me say that the Stomper implementation is very close to the PC version and (like it) works rendering the wave! But the processor of the X is not a Pentium and the process is WAY slow (about a minute or more to render a 500 ms bass drum!),and without the graphic interfase. So use the PC is a better way to obtain the Stomp sounds.
The manual is very poor about the architecture of the sounds and in general. Nothing to do with the ASR10 bible-like one.
There was a lot of cool processing tools inside like the reduce bits and volume scaling commands, and since the results of all the manipulations are waves thats resides in Scratch Pad instead of override the originals, you get undo of all your movements! If you like the result you can send it to the other pads.
The editing options at the pad level are awesome! You can built a drum kit with different programming of ALL the synth parameters per drum!
Amd At the track level you have a selection of the more important ones (cutoff, res, attack, decay, release, vel to EG depht, Octave shift, pan, level, FX send bus, etc that can either offset or override the original programed ones. Better yet, you can record control changes of ALL those individual parameters in EACH track directly with the built in parameter data knob!!!!!! AND IT EXPORT MIDI CONTROLLER DATA TOO!!!!!!!!!!! Not a single controller number, but a different MIDI controller per parameter!!!!!! Cīmon guys.....say me the MPC is better than that. AKAI: good intent, but try again....

Dan

Message 26/35             13-Sep-98  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

John

say me the
MPC is better than that. AKAI: good intent, but try again....

You mean the X is better than the mpc right?
I think the X is better in alot of ways.

Message 27/35             16-Sep-98  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

I've got the asr x and it's a great sampler but the seq is disappointing, I 've heard rumors about mpc2000mkII, anyone? and how about that su700???

Message 28/35             16-Sep-98  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

skul

haven't heard about a mkII MPC2k, but the SU700 is most probably vaporware. it was announced over a year ago and there's still nothing. i think Yamaha just figured they missed the wave (akai and ensoniq already had their products out) and it wasn't worth pursuing, so they just concentrated on getting their EXseries out.

mebbe Yamaha will put something similar out someday, but i ain't holding my breath...

Message 29/35             17-Sep-98  @  04:13 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

What part of the X sequencer you dislike?

Message 30/35             17-Sep-98  @  05:22 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

buggo

i can see splurging for an all in one box if it has a kickass interface like the mpc...big ol' screen, much expandability, nice fat pads, easy layout, rock solid dependability...benefits that really only come as a package with a big expensive module like that...but as for the X, why do it? from what i've heard by and large, they have a way less creative, intuitive interface, and are limiting because of all the menus and shit...granted you get a sampler and synth, and i hate to sound like a broken record, but really, for the price of the X, you could get LOTS of cheap kit that would do the job just as well, probably better, and would allow different interfaces, thereby presenting new challenges etc, spawning different types of musical opuses (opi?)...plus individual bits of cheap kit are way more flexible, in terms of adding and replacing synths and whatnot..my point is that unless you REALLY like the interface (as i like the MPC) then an all-in-one box seems like a waste...

i know this subject has been beaten to death but i'm still interested in opinions.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)