aaa Free Software Sampler - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Free Software Sampler

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 06-Jun-98  @  05:20 AM   -   Shameless Plug

GreenMan

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Shameless plug...but at least it's not for me. Check at the Software Sampler at http://www.signum.it/1100/1100.htm, FREE BETA. I am already using this thing every day in production. It's a detailed copy of the Akai S1000. 16 part multi, DirectX 5 sound, multiple output support, full Midi received, Midi Time Code / SMPTE stream support, and a shit load of other features. And the author Luca is as cool as hell (say hello to him).

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/35             29-Jun-98  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

GreenAdvocate

AVE...

My biggest like for the software sampler is if you've already learned how to use the Akai S1100 thru S3200XL (used to pretty much be the staple for dance music), then you already know how to use the Signum Sampler...It even looks exactly like the real thing...

I am trying to learn more about the GigaSampler to compare...first off it costs around $800 dollars...When the final Beta of the Signum is finished it'll probs be released as ShareWare at a fraction of this price...

The midi implemention of the program is brillant...you can do so much with multi-samples of say, a piano, and even trigger different samples based on how hard the key is struck (vel)...in addition to being able to recreate acoustic instruments very well with this method, you can also come up with some really bizarre shit...

I also don't know a whole lot about Reality yet...it sounds like a software version of the Korg DSS-1 sampler/synth...based on the reviews I've read, it sounds very cool...

The idea of making exact software copies of gear is just a plain great idea...manufacturers/software programmers should jump on this...think a software SH-101, Juno 6, JD-800, fuck, the possiblities...we've all come to love ReBirth...

I think the beta being released without help files makes the program seem tough...but download the akai S3200 manual, and treat the program like it was a real hardware sampler out of the box...you'd still have to open the manual and read how the machine works...

Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose...

I'm a real software junkie anyway...

Message 22/35             30-Jun-98  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

/\\/E/\/E

Yeah, I've tried it for a couple of minutes, not enough I know. I do realise that S1000/11000's can be pretty difficult to use. I guy once came of to my studio to record a track with his S1000. He'd never assigned samples to separate outputs before, and he and the rest of us could not figure out how to do it as it just didn't seem to work. We ended up having to make a long distance phone call to someone who had one, in order to find out.

Gigasampler loads Akia samples, programs banks etc from Akai cd roms. It would be great if this did it also. I don't know how easy it works though on Giga.

Also, Reality 1.5 will be out in August and should be pretty special. It supports Direct sound, loads sound fonts, has more algorithms, more polyphony and lots more.

I'll still have a go at the Signum though, as it seems pretty promising also. I just need to find the time to sit down and learn it all. The FX thingy in there, is that working yet? If so, will there be more of them?

Message 23/35             01-Jul-98  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Purple Haze

Is there anyone out there (or in here) who has a 'real' hardware sampler and who konws or has used these software samplers like reality, gigasampler, signum or whatever else is out there and who can compare the two ?

Message 24/35             01-Jul-98  @  02:51 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

No FX are working yet, but when implemented will allow use of DirectX reatime plug-ins...so any plug-in for soundforge, VST, etc, will work...I posted your message to the author and it's sounds very promising that the Signum S1100dx will be able to read all Akai disks made...

I hope a manual/help files become available soon, as I understand a lot of peoples frustration...

MindSpawn...have you played with it enough to compare it to your $2000.00 Yamaha A3000?...I'd be interested to hear your comments...

Message 25/35             01-Jul-98  @  04:02 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link

Just started muckin' about with it this eve, and thanks to a 'green' hand, I've been well pleased with
the result. When she's fully implemented, I figger it may give me A3k a run for the money (especially for the money). The interface and the way you do stuff is all very similar to a hardware sampler, for instance, the menus and parameter adjustments are very close. Having a graphical display of the waveform and other bits gives it a one up over me A3k. The interface won't take very little to get used to if you've ever used a hardware sampler. I'd say once 'tis fully coded, yer lookin' at a piece of software that gets as close to perfectly emulating a hardware sampler as possible, plus some extra bits that will make setups easier and more manageable.

I like the beast. Even in beta, the ware is very useful, programs, or keyboard assignment looks to be simpler and more straight forward, and that sort of sample mapping alone makes it a worthwhile piece to own. She's still a bit buggy, but honestly, the stuff that is implemented looks good, the stuff to ba added looks to make it near perfect. Could be the ultimate budget sampler (providing you already own a computer - hell since prices for PCs have dropped dramatically, even buying a computer to use this ware on may be as cheap as a budget hardware sampler).

Peace all.

Message 26/35             02-Jul-98  @  07:58 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

/\\/E/\/E

DX plug ins huh? Wow, if it had that, I'd definitely use it. Thanks for posting my comments also. I'm on the mailing list, so I'm sure I'll be informed of any updates. How long away do you think the final will be? Have you spoken to the author about this?

Message 27/35             02-Jul-98  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

kilo

i cant get a note out of it !...... also, i cant see hlf the screen dislpay all the time... havent a clue how to work it..... any pointers as to how to get a basic loop to trigger ?.... or anything in fact..... er... weirdly, it plays midid out and keeps triggering my db50, but i cannot get a midid signal in, at least the midi signal in never registers anything, and no sound...... maybe i need to spend more time with it, but i cannot see any of the display, half of it is off the screen....any pointers ?.... or shall i just download the manual /... they have the manual for download at the Signum site now... or is it the old alpha version i have that is no good.. i noticed the new version downlaod at the site is 1.2mb... the one i have is 800k...?

Message 28/35             02-Jul-98  @  10:09 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

/\\/E/\/E

I got it to work using the midi out of my mpc, but I haven't tried it with a pc sequencer yet. Kilo, surely you off all people should be able to get it working.

Message 29/35             02-Jul-98  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

Kilo...get the manual, I'll help...in the meantime, I'm putting together a small tutorial for you...give me few days...

Do you mean that you can't get the program centered on your PC screen or that you can see the screen on the software sampler?...please clarify...I good sign is that you're able to send MIDI note data...

Also, get the lastest beta release...and earlier in this thread are some steps to get you started...

Message 30/35             02-Jul-98  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

MindSpawn...

I re-read your post and forgot to mention that as long as you are using a DirectX soundcard driver(not emulated), you can use the s1100dx at the same time as other DirectX compliant software (VST, ReBirth)...

You don't need a multi-out soundcard or anything special...

It shares use of the soundcard DirectX driver...and it has a MIDI out that acts as a MIDI thru (Pass MIDI on to ReBirth or whatever)...

So you really don't need a separate/dedicated PC for running the software sampler...but it sure would be nice to have dedicated PC's for each program...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)