aaa A3000 or S3000XL - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: A3000 or S3000XL

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 29-Sep-98  @  10:53 AM   -   A3000 or S3000XL

Richie

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm two weeks away from purchasing one of these samplers, but still have not decided which one to go for... I will be buying new on interest free credit so 2'nd hand is out of the question... Thing is you can get the A3000 for 1100ukp +ZIP+32meg or the S3000XL for 1100ukp +32meg.. I'm leaning towards the S3000XL at the moment because of the 10 separate poly outs and the big screen. But the A3000 has the controlers and more polyphony.

Anyone got any good ideas or experiences with these. I've allready owned a s2000 in the past so I am used to Akai's system.

What are the outputs on the A3000?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/37             13-Oct-98  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

horizens

what about no waveform editing on the a3000? that's the major drawback as i see it.

Message 22/37             13-Oct-98  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

Richie

Not really, The first thing I did when I got it running was to put some of my wav's from the pc onto a floppy, stick it in the a3000 and imported em. All loop points we're remembered and worked fine. So I'm gonna be using soundforge for my editing,

Thing is you've got to look at what the other samplers offer compared to losing waveform editing.. After only using the a3000 for 5/6 hours I can allready see that there is a LOT more too this sampler than other models..

The filters in this thing should be enough to make anyone buy it.. The res keeps on going up but no clipping in sight... The S2000 clips as soon as you look at it.

Only problem I've got is that some samples that I downloaded from the A3k site seem to be stuck on a long release on the amp envelope,, But when I look at the easy edit screen it's not being used.. Hopefully this is just an early confusion type problem. Anyone help?

Message 23/37             14-Oct-98  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

rouge

Do you find that theres really noisy outputs? My AN1X has really noisy outputs and I've heard the CS1X does too.
Put it through your mixer, play nothing and turn everything else down - see if theres a high/midrange noise?

Message 24/37             14-Oct-98  @  07:04 AM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

Errata

When my sampler was still version 1 I had some of the same problems with my own samples and the envelopes and other weird things like the program randomly changing which stopped with the upgrade. The old samples though seem to carry the problem with them so I think it's a version 1 thing and those samples on the site my be a few months old.
As for noise, I've heard about older Yamaha's and their line fuzz. I've not seen it at all with the A3K. I unplugged everything from the mixer and turned down all channels but the A3K pairs and picked up between 1 and 5 db's but thats probably my mixing board and not the unit.

Message 25/37             14-Oct-98  @  09:17 AM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

Richie

Cheers for the tip on the old samples   I went mad last night trying to work out what I was doing wrong!

As for line noise, I was thinking that this is the quietest piece of equipment I have got. I read on an earlier thread that someone having the same problems factory reset the machine and that fixed it, which makes me think there is another level out somewhere that is set lower than it should be.

I havent tried the individual outs yet though.

Have you checked your connections? I definately get noise if I use one of my older guitar leads.

Message 26/37             14-Oct-98  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

rouge

I've actually found that my AN1X only emits this noise when my PC is switched on?!? Even though the midi tower is on the other side of the room but my speakers are either side of the PC monitor and my AN1X is to the right of the right speaker! Weird Stuff! When I turn my PC off the AN1X noise goes away!

Message 27/37             15-Oct-98  @  03:13 AM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

Errata

Computer and TV monitors emit magnetic fields that will result in hum or white noise in your rack. Whenever I'm sampling from an analog source I have to run the cables away from my computer monitor to avoid background hiss or shut off the monitor. The computer itself shouldn't be causing the trouble unless it's on the same power source as your gear and the gear isn't grounded. If that's the case then you've got bigger problems than noise cause ungrounded gear can get wiped by a power surge.

Message 28/37             15-Oct-98  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

hilliard

I have the same prob (as above) with my S-550's monitor. I have to switch it off, when I'm sampling, and then turn it back on to edit. However, I think it the power lines in my old plces, 'cuz I don't rememeber it happening at another apartment. I have yet to sample in my new place, so dunno yet.

BTW, it was (and still is) a very cheap/shitty orange monochrome monitor.....hehehehe.....Zenith Data Systems, or something....whatever, it was free.

Message 29/37             15-Oct-98  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

nomad

well, that can't be everything...i have a similar problem
with my computer, it's not too bad but it doesn't happen
with the monitor on and the computer off...and i
can turn the monitor off and it doesn't go away....
could be a video card problem though i'm thinking...

Message 30/37             16-Oct-98  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: A3000 or S3000XL

Purple Haze

Errata...
How did you measure the amount of noise coming from the yamaha ? Is there a program that can do this or something ?

Nomad... have you tried different cables ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)