aaa The Posers leave the floor... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The Posers leave the floor...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 09-Sep-03  @  02:12 AM   -   The posers leave the floor...

Boo

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1026308,00.html

Anybody get hurt by this apart from the Super Clubs and the Magazines?

Sorts the wheat from the Chaff, I suppose...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/37             10-Sep-03  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

errata

Link?:  No link

"all those experimental ers from back then who just sat and made a bunch of fkking noise, played for a bunch of fkking bourgeoise "hipsters"...

that's what i'm on about... though I totaly DIG that stuff... Severed Heads, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle... they helped build this stuff! Hell Richard James was a phenomenal producer, and he was big in the "dance" scene, but let's face it, fo the most part it was not danceable... his music was masturbatory, self indulgent, it didn't give a sh+t... which is GOOD!!! just sayin' that's not conducive to a dance scene...

I'm just saying, for dance music, we ought'a be checkin' our ego before we walk into the studio... if not we'll end up like Moby/BT. shrug

e

Message 22/37             10-Sep-03  @  01:02 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

BT

I'm the Logic audio editing god, you ninny! I cut up audio like you've never seen and have my own action figure.

I'm SO good and you BLOW.

Message 23/37             10-Sep-03  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

d

damn, someone busted out a manifesto!

some of this is just the natural ebb and flow of taste and shit. it's very cyclical. all scenes need good weeding out now and then anyway. if all that euphoric anthem crap goes away, fine.

egos: you know that "nature abhors a vacuum" rule. of course some wankers were going to jump in an make themselves the "rock stars of electronica". apparently moby, bt, and all those DJs -- wait, I mean "I'm not just a DJ I'm also a producer"s -- didn't get the memo that it was supposed to be egoless and faceless. Sasha or Oakie figures "if someone's gonna get 40k for showing up with a record crate, might as well be me. And if there's some fellatio and some gak as part of the deal, boy howdy!"

words and singers: they ain't going away. deal with it. ya ever notice how many "music" reviews extensively quote lyrics? know why that is? music reviewers are writers, words are their stock and trade. it's easier for them to write someone whose lyrics are "meaningful" than it is to write purely about instrumental music, and as a result you get these clowns put up on pedestals whose backing music is boring in the extreme and sometimes even sound like crap "singing" -- example: that springsteen idiot. take a dump already! the masses are conditioned toward music featuring vocals. hell, even the "cable radio station" in my house that's dedicated to "electronica" plays almost exclusively cuts with singing of some sort.

that human quality in electronic music: fUckIt!

Message 24/37             10-Sep-03  @  01:53 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

The Alchemist

Its much easier then that guys. Everything that goes up comes down..grunge had its years of fame..so did metal...its cyclic. Everythings is very hip-hop now..clothes, music, lingo etc.
One thing though, more people have the means to produce and compose professional tracks do to technology ..faster cpus, better programs etc..its only gonna get easier. It'll come back around..the club scene may not be the same for a while, but i can see why. Not as many people gettin cracked out anymore..a lot of "Famous Djs" are spinning gay ass tracks..
listen to the tracks in clubs now..its trendy,
and more main stream.
Hopefully it'll open more doors for guys like us..go in and show people what we can do, something more organic.

Message 25/37             10-Sep-03  @  02:00 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

Boo

I'm hoping there's going to be less CD covers with stupid grinning faces on them, too. They are all going down the BT route with glam shots. Gah! Drives me bloody mental.

The only tech artist who's face belongs on their own CD cover is Aphex Twin. So there.

Organic, you say? What do ya mean? Evolving noodlescapes?  

Message 26/37             10-Sep-03  @  02:07 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

pict

People like singing,the voice is the primary in built musical instrument of human beings.That's why we all like songs singing gets to the core quicker than anything else a story,religious expression,or even a political statement,and music matched together seamlessly,all cultures admire it as a form of expression from the Lapps to the Arabs.The song reigns supreme amongst all forms of music the world over.True organic music requiring nothing but the voice nature has given you,too right it'll never go away.

Message 27/37             10-Sep-03  @  02:55 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

influx

who said they wanted it to? I LOVE good lyrics and character of voice

just not in my "techno"

Message 28/37             10-Sep-03  @  02:55 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

Scott

I agree with most of what has been said. The fact is that electronic music has now touched and pervaded several generations, thanks in large part to the analog synth and digital computers (sampling) afterwards.

The number of DJs spinning electronic-based music in each city and town at one time was staggering, and likely approached the number of acoustic bands in some hotspots. A sweeping statement yes, but you can't deny the fact of what it was.

An analogous example is the proliferation of manufacturers, both corporate and small, private businesses around the globe - US, UK, Japan, Germany, etc... nearly all of the leading technological countries have had a piece of the pie. Likewise, most of the leading artists have come from those same regions.

My point is that electronic music in its latest popular incarnation - dance... rather RAVE music - infiltrated and then saturated in the modern global pop culture.

But it is not the end. It is now with us everyday, in the media, the retail world, in other forms of music. Electronics in music is everywhere. There are more opportunities for us than ever, perhaps not in illegal warehouse raves that epitomized the escapist themes of rave culture, but out in the real world where music meets culture everyday.

The question is not where electronic music is headed as a whole - it is headed in every direction now that the underground movement exploded and hence decentralized.

The question for us, is what are we going to do with it on an individual basis, our love for the music, and perhaps our love for the ideals and themes of rave culture, and the more primitive notions of tribal celebration through dance.

For me, I know what it means, it has formed me as who I am today, an electrical engineer that more or less lives on continuing presence of electronic music in popular culture.

For you, that is your question to answer.

Message 29/37             10-Sep-03  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

The Alchemist

amen il mio amico.

Message 30/37             10-Sep-03  @  04:19 AM   -   RE: The Posers leave the floor...

mcc>

the question becomes why should you let what anyone else is doing have such great import upon what you...yourself are doing as an artist....with or without your homies>

seriously....who gives a shin?

it's kinda nice to see and hear what other's are doing...but how should that affect you?!?!

only the club-owners and scene-mongers really need everyone to MOVE together.
25 bucks please....and that's just to get inside.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)