aaa JP8000 or AN1X - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: JP8000 or AN1X

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 29-Jul-98  @  07:13 PM   -   JP8000 or AN1X

Geek

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

You heard! Pros and Cons? Anyone experienced both?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/38             11-Aug-98  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Geek

What about them basslines in Speed Garage?

So, the AN1X is a techno machine? Whats its speciality?
Jock?

Message 22/38             12-Aug-98  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Jock

Dunno really !!!! Its really only been these past few weeks that I've started to use it to its full potential. Before that i was using it for lead sounds and just jamming away. I think to be honest that it could handle most things. I'm a bit pissed off with lack of presets and the fact that you have to rub over them with your own sounds. I love the lead sounds on it, but my favourite sound is Megadrone (number 8). take off the wanky sequence assigned to the low end and it can be used for all sorts of stuff. its a good machine to experiment on, although its not just restricted to techno. Any who watches Top Gear Waterworld will know how fucking nice the intro musics bass line sounds like. Well I got a sound like that last night and oooh I've just cum.........

Well ok, its speciality is looking good on a 3 tier quicklok stand to impress the birds.

Message 23/38             16-Aug-98  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rouge

I really want to get one because they're going so cheap.... What are they like as MIDI controllers?

Is it true that they can only send out one at a time through MIDI? Or can you tweak cutoff, decay, etc. all at the same time and save it in the sequencer?

I need something to tweak my DB50.

Message 24/38             17-Aug-98  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

bill

Link?:  Link

the an1x is an excellent controller - all the usual velocity/aftertouch/pitch/modulation goes out and then there's 10 extra controllers - 8 knobs which can be assigned to any controller value and the 2-way ribbon which can be assigned to another two. i think it can do keyboard splits (only 2 way though) and you can send the arpeggiator out via midi to trigger somthing else.

i can't believe the an1x is so cheap now - get it and a copy of an1x edit for the pc/mac and you're laughing - i've never touched on fm synthesis before - and everyone says how complex it is - well with the an1x you can do basic (and i emphasis basic) fm stuff - and i was loving it. the fx are wonderful - the only thing it lacks is more timbrality because it'll do all your lines - bass, lead, pad, weird echoey effects, strings, dx pianos - so if you have an hd recorder like cake or cubase its wicked - set a drum loop running, get an an1x bassline going, draw in your controllers so its wobbling everywhere, tweak it realtime in an1x edit to get the right sound, add some reverb, compression (all still in the an1x) hit record, set the audio looping inplace of the midi - mute the midi and move onto another sound, repeat and repeat until you realise that its 3am and you have to be in work at 9....

it is just so easy. and now its fairly cheap too. and yeah, its immediately accessible as a trance/techno synth but just truns off the arpeggiator, tweak the controls and you've got sounds for everything from dnb to dub via garage and rock....

Message 25/38             17-Aug-98  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

99devils

I got a quote of $925 US on an AN1X...

-Craig

Message 26/38             17-Aug-98  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rouge

Anyone got both the AN1X and the CS1X????

Which is a better controller????

Message 27/38             09-Sep-98  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Jock

Well I've now got both the JP8000 and the AN1X. I suppose the fact that the JP8000 has held its price is a testament to how good the machine is. But the bloody AN1X is selling at turnkey for 499 !!!! Gutted or what ! Thats 50 quid more that a wanky old CS1X.

I'd have to say for pure enjoyment alone the JP8000 wins. It really gets you inspired. The AN1x does have loads of extra features but lacks the initial flare of the JP. Still if its value for money then the AN wins hands down.

Message 28/38             09-Sep-98  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

hilliard

I tried an AN1x for the first time last weekend.....I mmust say I really dig it (soundwise). However, the last thing I need is another "keyboard" (unless we're talking some old rare beast-of-a-bitch classic...hehehehe).

Anyway, just curious if the synth engine of the AN1x is in (or is planned to be in) any "rackmount" Yammaha piece? Maybe it's in the EX5, EX7, EX-whatever rackmount...dunno, but that unit seems like overkill/overprice as far as what I want/need....ya'know? The AN1x has all of those great oldies House/Garage patches (House Organ, Garage Organ, etc), as well as some real nice leads.

I haven't been a big fan of Yamaha (especially the newer stuff), but this piece is nice. Guitar Center has it for $1000 US.....seems like alot, actually......that's why I wonder about the rackmount thang....maybe I'm just out-of-the-loop on the Yammie front....anyone know?

Message 29/38             09-Sep-98  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Yamaha scrapped their rackmount idea.

Message 30/38             09-Sep-98  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rouge

You speak too late - I bought the thing Saturday before last. (for 499 squid). As for EX5R - no - EX5 and 7 uses a different kind -I think the An1X is more powerful and versatile but not so sure?!?
Yep - I kind of like it - better than my 'vintage' synths for certain - some good things, some bad. Too many preset arppeggios - its just not my thing!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)