aaa prodigy Experience drum sound - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: prodigy Experience drum sound

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 29-Aug-03  @  02:17 PM   -   prodigy Experience drum sound

shpeck

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

hi,

i've been listening endlessly to prodigy's album 'experience', and trying to copy its drum sound but with no luck. i can't quite describe with words the sound of the drum loops in the album, so im hoping someone who's familiar with the album knows how to create such a sound, and might explain it to me.

thanks a lot
shpeck

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/41             03-Sep-03  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

swanofnever

man.. now i'm really depressed -- i just sold my w30!!! noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

sigh..

when i heard (a while ago) about him using a w30 to sequence, i was doubly impressed -- that thing's sequencer is the precursor to the xp-50/etc. seqs.. not very fun.

sigh.....

raigan

Message 22/41             03-Sep-03  @  02:30 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

queasy00

Link?:  Link

hahah..
i thought you knew about that whole prodigy thing and his w30.

i was actually gonna brign it up but... well....

anyway.

-j

Message 23/41             03-Sep-03  @  03:12 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Hydrofonix

I'm not suprised, just assured.... I knew Fatboy Slim used a DAT, I actually heard nothing is live in his setup he just pretends by turning knobs but then again thats just what I've heard. The thing is I haven't really been to any live electronic acts and when I read an article in URB about a live show they don't really elaborate about the actual setup.

Message 24/41             03-Sep-03  @  01:31 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Stuff

a sound engineer for Chemical Brothers said that the only thing he had to connect to the PA mixer was the cable from the DAT..
i'm dissapointed because it really looked like they were twiddling seriously, with the tons of gear they brought when i saw 'em.

more midi please   or at least a multi track recorder.

Message 25/41             03-Sep-03  @  02:20 PM     Edit: 03-Sep-03  |  02:20 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Maarten

Link?: Link

As long as I do not hear such things about Orbital I will not cry over these things  

Message 26/41             03-Sep-03  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

queasy00

don't they feel kinda lame standing up there twiddling knobs that have no effect?

actually... i recall reading a post from pongoid once where he said that they did it for some other reason... something like to cover their ass in case something goes wrong..

i really can't remember though so i might be confused.

-j

Message 27/41             03-Sep-03  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

djrandomchancelogik

Underworld is one of the few techno bands that actually live mixes most of time, and only has the main stuff looped over and over. And well... if ya consider Moby as electronica.. then I guess you could count him to *funny look*

Message 28/41             03-Sep-03  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

errata

I've heard this a thousand times before... I'm no fan of Crystal Method so it didn't break my heart when I saw them tweaking knobs that didn't seem to be doing anything...

And just because these huge acts do it doesn't make it OK... fact is they're paid obscene amounts of money to appear (well, obscene in relation to most live electronic acts) and if they have a f+ck up they can't afford to gloss over it!!! Too many peeps looking for it... but yeah, chemicals DO use DAT and not their gear, so screw them too!

I've been playing out for years, and I've never used DAT, or multi-track audio... My sets are pretty convoluted and have plenty of tempo changes and live tweaking. I have a friend who makes awesome jungle but won't play out anymore, "Cause they can do on records what I can't do live"! That's bullsh+t and I hear it all the time from these wannabe's who can't be arsed to go out and do it for real!

Playing live takes time, practice and CRAFT! It's always amazing to me that so many FLEM's think they can play out without putting the time and dedication into it that other musicians do!

In short, you do not need DAT/CD/MultiTrack ono stage... DO IT WITH SEQUENCERS... play LIVE music!!!

BAH... Kids these days!!!

e

Message 29/41             03-Sep-03  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

BluStudio

never done or wish to do live stuff meself but have always thought of it like, if you treat the seq/live set-up as an instrument then thats where the awesome show lies.

i.e- if you had a guitar, and practiced playing it every night for a coupla hours for a few years then mebbe you would beable to play a nice confident bit of guitar/band work

or if you had a piano or violin (or whatever i spose), and practiced playing it every night for a coupla hours for a few years then mebbe you would beable to play a nice confident piece to an audience

so similarly if you set up your gear 'live' in the studio and practiced 'playing' it for a coupla hours every night for a few years then you would beable to pull off some blinding shows with confidence no?

problem is thats a lot of hours to put in when you take into account the main part of production/writing work then you'd need to have a pretty exclusive 1 on 1 life with the music and not much else, but, there are of course, as with everything else in life, people who can and will do it, and do it well and fuckin fair play to them when they do.

blu

Message 30/41             03-Sep-03  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

errata

"problem is thats a lot of hours to put in when you take into account the main part of production/writing work then you'd need to have a pretty exclusive 1 on 1 life with the music and not much else"

Right!

I'm not sure it takes every night for years... MIDI is a beautiful monster, and makes things at least fairly easy! But yes, you must PRACTICE your live sets if you want to be good at live sets... All's I'm sayin' is, If you don't care enough to make your set shine, don't show it to everyone else... that's the difference between a good live artist and one of these punks who makes promoters afraid to support live acts!!!

e

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)