aaa Dying Scenes - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Dying Scenes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 03-Oct-98  @  06:23 PM   -   Dying Scenes

Rouge

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I've just noticed that Big-Beat had 'died' and so has Speed Garage. What's the 'next big thing'?
I need to cash in before its too late.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/42             07-Oct-98  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

What are you doing signing with my handle, son?
Ape

Message 22/42             09-Oct-98  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

Your handle?

Message 23/42             10-Oct-98  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Errata

I get blocked all the time and I'm sure one cause of it is the "super" stuff. It's easy to make big sound that goes no where with all the capabilities of new equipment. I usually just dial up a clean sine wave and sample it. Then just sit around for a few twisting this way and that. I might end up with crap but it satisfies my co-dependant relationship with my equipment and I sometimes even teach myself a few tricks for later.
Also, I've been a lot of that Autechre, Black dog kinda sound and the result is my music has been sounding really unoriginal. So I went out and bought some old records with Thomas Dolby on them and listened to how it used to be. Really theraputic stuff (in small doses).

Message 24/42             13-Oct-98  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Maybe you should try listening to some environmental recordings, or even making some. I once recorded a car driving over a metal plate in a city, an it became the basis for a really gnarly industrial tune. It doesn't always have to be another artist's music to inspire you, however, we should al acknowledge THOMAS DOLBY ROCKS!!! A real pioneer, like Herbie Hancock, and loads of others, but use it as inspiration, not necessarily a basis. Just advice.
Ape

Message 25/42             14-Oct-98  @  12:54 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

So you're into industrial too!
Anyway, do you think getting an outboard sampler will give inspiration? I currently use my Terratec soundcard which has a 512kb sample size limit.
I may get the A3000.

Message 26/42             14-Oct-98  @  06:57 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Errata

I don't think a software sampler is really any different from a practical point of view. If 512 is the limit that might be a problem (especially with the techno industrial aka: Skinny Puppy kinda sound)...I personally feel more creative using hardware (i think I like all the menus and nobs and stuff).
Get an A3K if you go hardware though, There's nothing like it for the price. I keep finding new and creative things to do with it everyday.

Message 27/42             14-Oct-98  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Richie

Seconded, I've suddenly lost the creative block that I was going through!

Message 28/42             14-Oct-98  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

the Terratec isn't a software sampler. Its hardware - its just stuck in my PC and I suppose you do need software to use it.

Anyway, what kind of RAM does it use? How much does it cost (UK)? How much did yours come with?

Message 29/42             15-Oct-98  @  07:02 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

galleyslave

Hey rouge, what kind of terratec card do you have. Can't you expand the memory for it?

Message 30/42             15-Oct-98  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Errata

Sorry, I didn't look close enogh at your post and didn't notice it was a card.
The A3K can go up to 164 MB, with standard simms (up to 32 mb per simm, and 18 chips per module). Mine came with only 2 mb but I canabalized some old chips I have and upgraded to 34 mb's. I hear you can get it now with the zip drive and 64 megs but I got mine back when it was version 1. BTW...I bagged on Yamaha a while back for being unresponsive but they turned around quickly after my dealer talked to them and sent the V2 upgrade no problem so I take it back...They are only evil and hard to deal with when your the customer, sales people seem to get far more attention...  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 42 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)