aaa bass vsti - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: bass vsti

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 02-Feb-04  @  08:24 AM   -   bass vsti

Jory

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

What is the best bass VSTi? Trilogy doesn't fit into the mix, Albino is great at leads but shit at bass and the es2 only does "trancey" basses. Bass is the only bit I'm stuck on.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/42             04-Feb-04  @  01:31 PM   -   RE: bass vsti

Jory

Thank you K and Milan. Really appreciate your help as your tracks Milan are kinda more my style. K, I have active tannoy reveals so I hope their all wired up properly. Its just a mains plug and a jack to jack so not sure that there;'s much to get wrong in the setting up stages but you know far more than me so maybe I should check it out. Yer, I kinda tend to lower the filter cutoff on my bass patch building attempts but I'm just not getting the sound I want. I A/B tracks I like all the time via burning them and importing the WAV directly into Logic. I've been careful to set the max level on the faders for the A/B track so I know the A/B track is at the maximum headroom for my desk. When, say there's just the bass playing in the A/B track, I can see that its just hitting the 0db master LED's on my Mackie so I try and set my bass at the same level and all that stuff. Its just that I can't seem top achieve THAT sound. Its definatley a more kinda dubby, sine wave type sound I'm after but with depth and body, not just a pure sine (ala old skool jungle) if that makes sense.

Milan, yer I got the extra box presets with the Albino. You gonna tell me a patch that's a good starting point then?

Message 22/42             04-Feb-04  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: bass vsti

Neil

Check out Junglist then - it does stomach churning deep and big body. Does loads of other stuff too.

Message 23/42             04-Feb-04  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: bass vsti

milan

Link?: Link

i cant cause i still wouldnt know what you're after. why not log in and upload a sample of the sound you're trying to emulate? then we'll have a much better idea of what you're talking about.

Message 24/42             04-Feb-04  @  05:45 PM     Edit: 04-Feb-04  |  05:49 PM   -   RE: bass vsti

digital rust

"Digital Rust - how the hell would you know? You don't know the type of tracks
I'm doing and you don't know about the quality levels I'm aspiring too within my
chosen musical style. What a stupid thing to say! Idiot, read my original post."

bro, settle down. i don't know the type of tracks you're after because you never
said shit about them. jesus. i'll elaborate on my first comment so you don't take
this the wrong way.

albino and most of the other VAs that you and others have mentioned here can
all whip out the type of bass you're after. the reason i called out albino is
because it's a sick synth. period. i'd even equate it to a sw virus because of all of
the digital waveforms and modulation possibilities. all i was getting at was that
maybe spending a bit more time learning to program might do some good. you'll
be able to make solid bass on any synth with 2 osc, a filter and an lfo. trust.

Message 25/42             04-Feb-04  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: bass vsti

xoxos

heard a divers number of styles from d.r. myself over the last going on 6 years :p

my own technique is pretty much entirely synthesised, and a rarely if ever use eq. if you post a demo mp3, i'd be surprised if someone can't patch it on one of the synths you mentioned.

if you're doing house (tho i'm out of date on style) try mda's dx10 (not to be confused with the other dx10 you have to pay for) might also have fun with one of the synthedit freebies using the phase mod osc.

Message 26/42             04-Feb-04  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: bass vsti

Influx

"heard a divers number of styles from d.r. myself over the last going on 6 years :p"

uh, YEAH!

jory..heres a fuckin valium, man. make it two.

NOW, go learn how to program synths AND learn how to engineer.

k mentioned about eq for the low end, and YOU responded with "yeah, I lower the filter cutoff"

NOT the same.

the idea is to cut some of the LOW out...using high pass EQ or notch EQ.

welcome and all, but if youre gonna fly off the handle that quickly and start calling names, then no, no welcome.

Message 27/42             04-Feb-04  @  10:58 PM   -   RE: bass vsti

BluStudio

Glad this eq stuff has been brought up-

jory mate, IMHO good and proper eq is the final word on bass sounds, talking about thick and thin bass from vsti's shouldnt be a factor remotely worth mentioning on the subject, and tbh some of the boys answering this thread have got it down cold and doing this stuff for labels/remixes/12's - you could learn from the advice (not meant to be a dig btw)

Actually, whats the seq anyhow (sx?) - can it rewire reason?

I just got my new rig up (G5/PT6/002) and bought reason 2.5 rewired to PT and ive got to say there are some great things going on in there (subtractor/malstrom) - worth a look mebbe?

great thing about running it rewire is you can just use the basic synths and skip the effects/eq and have them from your usual plug sets from your sequencer!

anyhow, not a vsti but when rewired is the same idea and pretty fookin nice (plus those refx ones i said about ^^^ ) Also some good patches floating about to get you a taste of where you want to go/tweak

blu

Message 28/42             05-Feb-04  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: bass vsti

Influx

theres a good one, too. "everyone" uses rewire, but only a handful use it thoroughly, and running it through a mixer sounds even better!

heh...that would be fun to have a reason box and a solid analog mixer with like 24 channels of DA.

wonder how that would sound

Message 29/42             05-Feb-04  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: bass vsti

Pongoid

Jory, don't take this the wrong way, but indeed any one of those plugins will give you what you need. However, you may not be able to hear it in the room you are in. You are listening in the nearfield, in a room that may well be defeating all kinds of frequencies just because of phasing issues in the room and your monitors. In many cases it's not the tool, so much as how it's used. If you need a bass to be of a certain flavor then it has to have a certain harmonic content, and fill a certain space in your mix. If your drums are punchy and mid-rangey then the bass has to be deeper or the kicks swallow it up. If your kicks are deep and subby, then the bass has to have more midrange content. Either way, the tone is achieved by the correct filtering and EQ'ing. A fact that you're gonna have to accept is that not every tone is going to fit into every mix, and you're going to have to play around for a bit to find a tone that works. If you have it set in your head that you need a certain tone for the bass, then you're gonna have to start from there, and then rebuild your drum sounds around it. That's just the physics of a mix. Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time without interaction. The same holds for energy. Energies of the same form and in the same space WILL interact with each other, especially of the same frequency. Learn it, accept it, and use it. There is no other way.

Ape

Message 30/42             05-Feb-04  @  02:26 AM   -   RE: bass vsti

digital rust

all really good points, pongoid.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 42 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)