aaa English think that they can make tracks? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: English think that they can make tracks?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 04-Jul-98  @  11:39 PM   -   English think that they can make tracks?

not even

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

ok im not in for a war i just wanna hear what some English have to say about making tracks i mean hearing it from a git's perspective and all . it seems the only reason any limey-fucks wanna write tracks for is to be cool i would like to hear of a fish 'n chip eatin' wank that was relly into making tracks and you can tell just from the way that this posting will be replied to. i will be waiting......................

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/49             06-Jul-98  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

Jock

Actually I think you'll find that the English invented dance music. Whilst you yankee wankers* were still into Bon Jovi and The Bangles and eating your fucking jello, we were forming the foundations for dance. Lets face it this argument can go back to the one about Europeans being better than Yanks thread all those months ago.

* thats if you can find it.

Message 22/49             06-Jul-98  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

Jock

Bloody hell, theres an echo in this chat room !

Message 23/49             06-Jul-98  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

Greenman

naw...remember Jock, i was into Debbie Gibson and BROS..."Electric Youth" indeed...

As far as "Jello" goes...

Message 24/49             06-Jul-98  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

jock

I wanted to be in Debbie Gibson, but that was about it !

Message 25/49             06-Jul-98  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

Greenman

I shagged her...I did, I did!...I even have old love notes from her that I'll post as soon as my scanner is working again...

Don't belive me...you'll see...

Message 26/49             07-Jul-98  @  04:23 AM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

The PImp

I like slagging yanks as much as the next guy but let's make something clear. Ferg is not a yank he is Canadian. There is a big FUCKING difference. He just didn't say anything cuz Canadians are so polite (yeah right). As a Canadian I find it offensive when a compatriot is called a yank. I do agree that dance music started in a town called Manchester, and now I'm going to start a fight. Let's kneel and pay homage to the band that broke it open, New Order(Temptation, Blue Monday, Everythings Gone Green)!  

Message 27/49             07-Jul-98  @  04:59 AM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

Ferg

As long as I'm getting an education, can someone tell me what the first big time "dance" track (in the modern vein), was? I remember the day "Jack your body" shot in to No. 1 on Top of the Pops, and that was the day I felt English music died. I fucking hated it. I was far more interested in the Jam or the Police than that stuff. Was that the first big one? And who recorded it?

Incidentally, the reason I heard it on TOTP was that I was born and raised in Dublin. I now live in Toronto, where they obviously don't offer Dance History 101.

Ferg

Message 28/49             07-Jul-98  @  05:59 AM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

Greenman

Some FACTS to ponder:

Francis Grosso was the first DJ to segue records together into one un-interrupted groove. He spun at a converted church in NYC called the Sanctuary back in 1970.

Kraftwerk make their first US television appearance on Midnight Special. The single was "Autobahn". The year was 1975.

Frankie Knuckles and Larry Levan spin together at The Continental Baths on 49th street in NYC from 1975-1976.

Frankie Knuckles then moved to the Warehouse in Chicago (where House music got it's name) from 1977 until 1983. Actually, Larry Levan was offered the spot but passed. Go figure...

Across town Lil' Louis (French Kiss fame) was running a club called The Future until 1980. At the begining of 1980, Lil' Louis relocated to another club, Horizon West.

Juan Atkins and Rick Davies, as Cybotron, released their first single "Alleys of Your Mind" on their own Deep Space label in 1981. They sold between 9,000 and 10,000 copies in Detroit alone. Look it up...

May 1981 Kraftwerk released "Computer World". The first 32 bars of the album were "the purest, most significant map of Detroit techno's future imaginable".

Also in 1981, Larry Levan had taken the helm at a former truck garage in Manhattan's dockland. Named The Paradise Garage (yup, you guessed it, that where Garage got it's name from), its crowd was largely Black and Puerto Rican. He used three 1200's at once...

1983, Knuckles moves from The Warehouse to a new venue, The Power Plant. Also, Ron Hardy opens The Music Box on Chicago's south side...Ron was addicted to herion at the time...

As of yet though, no offical House Records...then...

1983, Jesse Saunders, also a Chicago DJ, made his own version of a Sergio Mendez/Donna Summers/Michael Jackson bootleg megamix called "On and On". He took the record to the city's only pressing plant (Musical Products owned by Larry Sherman) and sold the track through Imports Inc. on his own Jes Say label. 10,000 copies were sold in 2 months...

1983 - Larry Sherman then went to set up the first House Music Label, Trax. 6 months later, Rocky Jones set up the competing DJ International label, also in Chicago.

1982 Uropa Lula (London) mixes a colossal syth riff (from an Arp Axxe) and a Linn drum machine on a single called "Our Love Has Just Begun".

1983 New Order releases "Blue Monday".

1984 MDMA is classified a Schedule 1 drug (No medical use) by the DEA.

1987 Pete Tong and Terry Farley open The Raid on Tottenham Court Road. Also, The Project in Streatham opens with Trevor Fung and Paul Okenfold at the helm of soon-to-be prime movers including Nicky Holloway, Danny Rampling and Jonny Walker.

1987 M/A/R/R/S astonishes the entire music industry by reaching no. 1 with their track "Pump up the Volume".

1987 Fall - The first significant quantities of Ecstasy arrive in London.

In the summer of 1988, Martin Price (From the Eastern Bloc Record Shop) hooks up with Graham Massey and Gerald Simpson to work on a house-based project which eventually materialised as 808 State...

Compiled and edited from several sources, including "The History of House" by Chris Kempster, and several old articles of Music Technology and The Mix.

Why??...'cause I'm writing a Movie...

Message 29/49             07-Jul-98  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

props, Greenie. It's funny how quickly individuals like geek can influence the public's perceptions of reality with lies. What's sadder is how quickly some individuals here unthinkingly jumped on the band wagon.

How very British of them...... ;)

Message 30/49             07-Jul-98  @  06:43 AM   -   RE: English think that they can make tracks?

The Pimp

You are a well informed man. Let us not forget a few other big players that you may or may not like as musicians but helped us get where we are.

Quincy Jones - Instrumental in ensuring New Order's Blue Monday was heard in the US along with many other contributions. Blue Monday is to date the siingle largest selling 12' in the history of music.

Arthur Baker - Mixed and produced confusion (once again new order, I'm not obsesed really!)
Confusion wasn't a big hit but many detroit, chicago, and NY Techno/House artist name it as a huge influence.

Can't think of anymore right now but when they come to me I'll share it with you

Jeremy Arsenault

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 49 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)