aaa sampler as drum machine? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: sampler as drum machine?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 08-Aug-98  @  08:20 AM   -   sampler as drum machine?

buggo

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

i've tried using the signum s/w jobbie as a drum machine, with my mc-300 sequencer...no dice. Is there any way on most samplers to get it to NOT pitch-shift a sample up and down the keyboard range? If, for example, my sequencer is programmed to play a kick drum on midi ch. 10 and the kick's note # is 35, then how do I get the sampler to play the kick sample, at the original pitch, no matter what note number it's at? Say I want to assign kick to 35, snare to 36, open hat to 37, closed hat to 38, etc........can I get a sampler just to play the samples without pitch shifting 'em? GRR!!

(Not just on the Signum thingy...I need to know if I can do this on hardware units, such as Emax or DSM-1, that are good for drums. While we're at it, what would you all suggest as a decent drum sampler for under $400? The emax, s550, DSM1, s900, etc. all seem promising...real-world tips anyone?)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/55             14-Aug-98  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

hrmph, reaching for the s-330 manual .... almost there ..... come on, baby, you can do it .... you can DO IT............

damn, I guess I'm just too paranoid of those things to be of serious help. Tell me if you find out ;)

Message 22/55             28-Aug-98  @  06:10 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

another question: i know you all heartily reccomend the emax, and that's what i'm leaning toward...(either that or the s20). but upon listening to your tracks (kilo's immediately come to mind) it seems you do a lot of stuff that doesn't require a lot of programming (four on the floor, offset hats...). How does the emax measure up for programming breakbeats etc? I'm pretty much going to be using it as a dedicated sampler for drums and sound effects, and get another for actual synthesis, so that's not really an issue. But memory-wise, can I get a decent amount of sample time (10-15 seconds??) at a low-fi rate on the emax? also, another thing i love about the s20 is the pads for samples...how important is this actually? (having not much experience with drum machines....i play drums and i program a lot but never worked with hardware units.) am I a moron?

Message 23/55             28-Aug-98  @  07:02 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

influx

hey buggo-another thing about the emax (the key version) is that you can use it as a controller as well, which seems to work pretty damn good. You can get something like 45 seconds ( I think) at 10k sample rate-and less as you go up in fidelity, but still like...10(?) at the highest rate. Im not looking at anything so I may be mistaken. Sedusas right, tho, they are a little hefty! but not ugly-

Message 24/55             28-Aug-98  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

If you're using individual drum hits, you can pack several complete drum kits (I mean complete with tamborines, idfferent hats, all the extras) into the Emax at even the highest rate.. And, if you use SDS transfer from the computer to the Emax, You can make the rate as lofi as possible in the editor, and get more than the supposed maximum time out of it. ..Hehe, Probably like 2 minutes at 3khz... Oh, and the Emax keyboard doesn't have aftertouch, I believe..

Message 25/55             28-Aug-98  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

wow sounds cool....what's sds tho? and how important are those pads on the s20? also, anyone have any pics of the front panel, just cos i'm curious...one more thing, is the rack version heavy? i heard the keyboard was a monster but...

Message 26/55             28-Aug-98  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

bill

i've just started using an emax for doing the main drum tracks - it seems fine for simple garagy-stuff where there's a kick and a snare going, but the more complex stuff seems to cut out occasionally.

but then, it's the first sampler i've used and i could have it set up slightly wrong. and i was trying to work out for ages why when the kick tracks came in the first beat would sound accented - finally i realised it was my compressor which had a slow attack so the first part of the first kick got through and a long release so all subsequent drums were compresedd. anyway.....

it's unbelievably simple to set up drum-presets though and sedusa's right, you can get a lot of sounds in the 512k - 28khx sounds fine to me.

another thing though, kilo said that when he used the emax as a drum unit he ran fast stuff like hats and shakers and extra snares off his sr16 because it "ate the polyphony".

Message 27/55             28-Aug-98  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

The timing seems to be fine on my Emax.. I believe (Don't quote me on this) that SDS stands for sample dump standard... Basically it's a way to transfer samples to and from a computer -> sampler via MIDI.. It's slow, yes, but, we're talking aboiut files that are quite small, really. So it ain't a big deal.. Oh yeah, and the rack is heavy as a motherfucker.. It's 3U tall and it's long.. I had a hard time putting it into my rack, just because I could only hold it with one hand while I put in the screws.. But the keyboard's really big and really heavy and really ugly as sin.. Now, most of the time, I am opposed to putting stickers and shit on gear.. But if you get an Emax keyboard, PAINT THAT FUCKER!

Message 28/55             28-Aug-98  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

bill

but then i'd paint over my manual.....i love having all the functions laid out on he top. i think it looks top.

Message 29/55             29-Aug-98  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

influx

STOP CALLING MY EMAX UGLY!! WANNA FIGHT?!?
it does not have aftertouch, so I guess that limits it as a controller, huh?
It is NOT ugly 
Ive messed with some tricky snare patterns, and it works fine, along with good drum pattterns.

Message 30/55             29-Aug-98  @  04:39 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

xoxos

i'm still loading the first program or samples on my akai s2000 ($800) but, thou it's not saying much, compared to my mirage dsk8, it's lovely.

that korg sounds like a deal for the $ though. i'm currently having fun using the akai's keygroup function, which assigns several samples to one key trigger. nice with the panning.

any specific questions? still exploring, but it does what i need which is provide rock solid playback.

xoxos.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)