aaa I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :( - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:31 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:11 PM   -   I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Why do people think I'm a DJ when I say that I produce dance music? The countless people that don't get it really pisses me off... Arrgghhh!!

I really don't understand how they can get the two things confused. They even think I scratch records!!!

I'm not just talking about just the totally clueless people, but even some of the raver kids get things confused.

Why is techno production such a dark and confusing art to outsiders??

And another thing is the 'Proper' musicians who look down on what we do seem to think that we just use presets and string them together. Maybe this is because their only experience of electronic music is those awful Yamaha PSR keyboards?

I took a real sceptic into my studio and showed him what I do - Write, Compose, Sequence, Record sounds, Route effects, create original patches, mix and finally master.

His head really spun and I think he gained a new found respect for me.

Anybody else feel this way?? Anybody??? Anyone??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/66             09-May-02  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

I'm amazed at how most 'real' bands now are actually sequenced. Sure, they play live, but when they lay down their studio tracks, a lot of it is cut up and looped anyway.

I say that this makes it Techno (in the general sense), even though it doesn't sound like it.

Sod em all!  

Message 22/66             09-May-02  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

errata

Link?: Link

Get used to it and stop complaining. I've always been amazed at how "seriously" electronic musicians want to be taken. Like being called a DJ somehow implies that you're less of an artist. I know you want people to know what you do and get it right but they won't. The culture calls the guy in front of the dancefloor a DJ!!! That's how it is.

Other musicians DO feel that we hide behind gear and do nothing but program loops. They are learning the difference but it takes time! Call yourself a producer and let them know that you do all the multi-tracking, programming and recording... That you don't pay other people to make you sound good and they'll learn!!!

T

Message 23/66             09-May-02  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Fusion

Link?:  Link

and i thought it was just me......

my girlfriend introduces me to her sister and she says 'oh your that dj from college arnt you'

turned out she saw me goning into the studio at college.

and for that i will be forever branded the 'd ing j'

i have nothing against djs, its just that every time its like oh so your a dj then, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj,

sigh........

i give up

Fusion :|

Message 24/66             10-May-02  @  02:06 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dj19

Ill mention djs who are awsome producers

like...John "the Jellybean" Benitez
Arthur Baker
Africa Baambata
The Chemical Brothers

from what I know about these guys they
started off as djs and then went into producing
their own music

Message 25/66             10-May-02  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

I'll ask again - Is this mainly an American Phenomenon?? People in England seemed to understand what I did, no problem. They grasped that it was something to do with keyboards and synths and NOT scratching or Mixing Records.

I dunno...

Strange.

MOOOOOOOKLE.

Message 26/66             10-May-02  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

oz.

Link?:  Link

yes it is mostly in the states i think. the party people here think its all about the dj. the dj is god. ing pathetic little joke. i have been a rather succesful dj for over 10 years. people just dont comprehend that you are only playing others music. it is disgusting really. thats why i had to quit doing it.

being a dj takes not even 1/10 the time and talent of being a good producer. especially live p.a.'s. these fuggin kids would rather see a dj most of the time than a live p.a. its a disgrace.

please dont give up zinc. the future of electronic music will watch dj's fall by the side and live music producers,performers and bands will become more prevelent.

i hate to bash on the dj's. i have been one and i respect the scene that they have helped create. i enjoy dancing and talented dj's that control a flow. but we must try to educate these ignorant people (not all of them) that there is more to our music than dj's!!

THERE IS TO MUCH AT STAKE HERE THAN SOMEONE PLAYING RECORDS.

Message 27/66             10-May-02  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Drop

"the future of electronic music will watch dj's fall by the side."

That is the single most stupid statement I've read on Dancetech for a long while.

The DJ's job is to present music. The good DJ's do this well and it requires talent and practice.

Message 28/66             10-May-02  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

proximus

being a dj is not just being able to mix properly.. you also gotta get the crowd going

Message 29/66             10-May-02  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

hate to go on with the yank bashing (people get so enthusiastic) but seriously, we have a problem here. some of these people live in such a quarantined little world, which isn't a problem until they grow up to be world leaders and such, as is their american-born given right.

Message 30/66             10-May-02  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

damballah

yeah, g'head, call yourself a "producer," that'll make "real" musicians take you more seriously.

"the single most stupid statement I've read on Dancetech in a long time" whew! guess I'm off the hook, then.

this isn't an american phenomenon, it's an idiot phenomenon. apparently there's even dutch idiots! who knew? I always had this hunch the big problem with dubya and cheney was that they couldn't tell the difference between between a live pa and a dj (pronounced dee-hay) when they're rollin' at a ra.., errr, "party".

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)