aaa Yamaha TX81Z - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Yamaha TX81Z

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message                 Date: 18-Jul-98  @  05:02 PM   -   Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Has anyone heard of this FM Module? Is it any good? Its in my local PawnShop for 135 UK pounds. Are they stupid?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/82             21-Jul-98  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Rouge

What are the MIDI controllers like?

Message 22/82             21-Jul-98  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

how does this thing do on hardcore type shit; run through a distortion pedal, etc?

Message 23/82             22-Jul-98  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

browngirl

what? its so hard to program you haven't checked the manual? eh?

As I asked :::: can it be used for them speed-garage bass lines?

Message 24/82             22-Jul-98  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

ivan

It doesn't take very much MIDI except the standard: velocity, modwheel, pitchbend, aftertouch, breath controller ;), and you can't route it to very many things.
But you can get velocity to modulate a modulator so you have filtery sounds.

I played around with the guitar sounds through a distortion pedal, and it sounded fairly good, but I guess that's not what you want ;) I'll try to overdrive it and see what happens. Not that you need separate distortion since you can get distorted sounds from it anyway.

Hmmm- did just get a feeling that you could use a LFO on slow speed to get filter stuff.. got to try... anyway, check out the TG77 - a monster! Resonant filters, feedback between samples and FM and all other kind of sick things...

Message 25/82             22-Jul-98  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

hilliard

Yes, Browngirl, it can be used for Speed-Garage Bass sounds. It has been referenced (along with the DX100) as a favorite by many Speed Garage acts. Especially by RIP (Ripgroove). In a recent issue of FM (Future Music), they discussed this topic. They listed the DX100 and the Juno-106 as bass machines for them (along with the Akai samplers S3000 and CD3000 for sine/square waves to help create their bass patches. They did not list the TX81Z in their kit-list, or talk about it, but it could be seen in a photo of their rack modules. It is very similar to the DX100, actually with more features (waveforms) and multi-timbrality. I know a few cats who have them both and use them both, although I don't know specifically the reasons for choosing to use the DX100 over the TX81Z, or vice-versa, sonically.

Check out a thread in the Analog Chat area, dealing with Speed Garage, Jungle bass. There are some good comments there, too.

Message 26/82             23-Jul-98  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

the dx 100 has more presets i guess that is why... alot of people shy away from programming those FM units.....

the yamaha DX FM synth is THE main primary synth of garage & house, and frankly, alot of other styles... as i always say... without one of the range.. your sonic arsenal is NOT complete......

see, i think again we have to drag it back to the same thing I'm ALWAYS banging on about.... on this & other sites we all discuss all the latest wizzo kit, synths, s/w etc etc... in fact if the entire synth industry was nuked tommorrow, it wouldnt make the slightest difference..... all the tools are there that you need...

point 2... like ALL art forms... they are never EVER invented by well off people sitting around with loads of stuff.... they are ALWAYS create by people with fuck all.....

so... jungle ??.... what do you use to create jungle... where is it from ?.... well, it's a dDJ at a sound-system play off, playing an old 70's dub track, then cutting a hip-hop beat over it with a 3 time push.... it's ragga timing, with a 1/2 time bass...IT'S FUCKING RAGGA..... and if you dont know the culture of the sound system, the dancehall, the play-off's, where one sound cuts a tune.... the MC's get buzy, stirring up the crowd... then the other side tries to top it with something more radical etc etc...that is how it originated.....

so,,, the DJ already knows how to push a 3 time cut... anyone with a reggae background knows it... so.....he does it using a scratched break beat... then one of the crew ranting some vocal, whilst someone else in the crew wanks the time & feedback knob to buggery on a crappy analog delay unit like a MELOS delay... the kind you see for 20 quid in tat shops and cheap local music shops... that is it.... not fucking akai 2K samplers etc... ex5 synths and all that shite... it's just not in the culture... and it NEVER sounds authentic using those items.. to me... it just is NOT Jungle.....

Garage... a crappy old synth (ie a cheap nasty old DX FM unit.... and a cheap sampler for drums... that's it... or maybe a cheap old analog.. or one of each...originally, it was old 909's, and other drum boxes like the dmx for hip-hop, no-one wanted.....but it still all comes from the DJ... the decks..... samplers just do what decks do... but with more scope... more detail... but it all starts with 2 or 3 decks and a bunch of vinyl.... that is THE root of hip-hop..... 2 decks.... and an MC... the sampler just makes it easier.... and more creative that that which can be done with 2 hands....

techno (as we call it now).... squatters, rock/punk musicians, with a few electric guitars... a drum box.... a few guitar pedals... an old 303./606. or other nasty old analog.... mate... we all did it.. everyone was in their squat with crap 303's and 202, and 101's, six-tracks, etc, that NO-ONE wanted to know as they all raced to get Linn-Drums etc... stuff it thru the distortion pedal... ram it into a bass rig.... and it evolves
to use 909's maybe... and then cheap samplers.... which didnt even exist when all this was happening... there were no samplers.... just BELL delays with 10 or 20 second chips that cost like 2.5 K....until the Mirage came along, and then the akai s700 followed by the s900, FZ, and the emax etc etc........about 1983-4

so.... the classic techno or trance set-up becomes.....a sampler... an analog synth... an atari.. a few pedals...... that is .....IT... and that is in itself an evelovement to high end gear !!.....but it starts with a crappy old synth fed thru an Electro-Harmonix distortion pedal, pumped out of your guitar amp in the squat at 3 am until the police arriveto bust you.. heh heh...... we're talking cheap crap.....and NOTHING sounds like it .......

now obviously we're not going to stop adding new kit reviews etc when new dancetech opens.... and s/w and everything else... cos it is our passion is it not ?... that is all of our passions.. tech stuff... sonics...music etc etc.....but...

that is the root of ALL styles...NECESSITY is the mother of invention..... not a 3 k budget

er... ok..... i'll shut up now....

Message 27/82             23-Jul-98  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

The big PROBLEM is that I have never owned a synth before and this TX81Z has no fucking manual!

Is it easy to figure out? I do have a brain but have no experience with synths ... what do I do?

Message 28/82             23-Jul-98  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

hilliard

I agree with what you're saying, kilo, but I *do* believe that a good "modern" workstation (be it an XP, MPC, etc) or even an older/cheaper one (O1/W, M1, VFX, etc) can be very beneifical to a "low-budget" set-up, as well. Of course, they do hike up the price of a set-up, but even if they are used just for the sequencer and maybe a few patches (acoustic piano, strings, horns, percussion, etc), they can really "gel" together a bunch of older (cheap) gear (TX81Z, 606, 101, Juno, whatever).

But you're right....the music certainly can be done without them. I was just reading an article on Kevin Saunderson in the new FM. They mentioned that all he had back in the early Detroit techno days was an MC-500, a DX100 (there it is again), a CZ-5000, and a small Tascam desk. Of course, *now* he has a Waldorf Wave! (a friend of mine is engineering some of his latest stuff, here in the Detroit burbs). Juan Atkins had (and I think, *still* has) a pretty minimal set-up, including an S900, MC-50, Korg 707, DX100 (natch!), etc.

I have a pretty good pile of gear (15-20 synths/drum machines/samplers/modules), some old, some new, some cheap, some a bit more pricey, and I do use most of it at some time or another, but I find myself using an XP-50 (fully expanded with: Vintage, Techno, Dance, and Keyboards of the 60's&70's) along with just a few other older synths/boxes (MIDIMINI, JUNO-106, TB-303, S-550) to do most of my stuff, lately. And other times the XP-50 is all I need/use for some tunes. Whatever works, eh?

Nice analysis of various old-school styles, BTW.

Anyhoot, Browngirl, get that darn TX, will ya'?

Message 29/82             23-Jul-98  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

ivan

It's kind of hard if you don't get the FM concept of
making sounds, but most of the things are the same as in
other synts, like LFOs, envelopes etc. You have to push
*a lot* of buttons though -it isn't as easy as a Juno-106... but if you get the hang of it it's fairly easy. (I wouldn't be without mine, but I wouldn't have it as my only synth either...)

Do you want to know how to have realtime "filter" control on it? Guessed so. Do like this:

1) set the filter to square wave, speed 0, sync:on
2) sensitivity: PMD 0; AMD 3 + on for the modulators
3) utility(?): modwheel PMD:0 AMD:99

Now play the sound and move the modwheel...

Kilo, do you want some TX81z sounds for Dancetech? (and BTW, you can send me your K2000 and you can have all my
cheap pedals. Deal? ;)

Message 30/82             23-Jul-98  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

he he, nice one, kilo, makes me realize what a spoiled, over-equipped, capitalist piece of shit I am. NAH, it's easy to have money for kit when you ain't smokin' that which you sellin' ;)

Anyway, the tx81z is a horrible first synth if you actually want to program it, but realize that all dx100's were used for in the old days was the presets. You've got 128 presets on the tx, and put through effects or layered w/ other kit (or it's own voices, 8-part multi-timbral), you'll realize that the ability to program (besides for the amp envelope, which is easy enough) isn't necessary, at least not for a little while.

I once took a class on synthesis, and even though we had 2 moog modulars sitting in the corner, all we did was program dx7's all day long. Personally, I don't ever want to program another fm synth again.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 82 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)