aaa motivation - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: motivation

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message                 Date: 07-Aug-04  @  08:55 AM   -   motivation

panama

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I sit here with this keyboard and my Macintiosh and wonder about motivation. We
as a group compose beats, noise, and maybe a melody, but why? Is it motivation
or time killed or a good fuck (for our mind)? What motivates us? I get into my room
with all my expensive electronics and push buttons. PUSH BUTTONS? ok, I am a
Master Control Operator for TV. I push lots of butttons and I am not motivated. I
like TV but I like money too, which I make from pushing buttons. Cut to cut, edit to
edit. I put stuff together. BUT, the motivation in music is different. Do I think of
money, no. It silences the world. It keeps me from going mad when my girlfriend
hates and cheats on me. I am motivated to vent my filth. is it filth tho? GOD DAMN
ART! where's the art? I push buttons, I DO NOT bleed while I push piano keys to
bleed in the index. I say, hello macintosh, dear diary, you are much more forgiving
when I am motivated. HA!

FUCK! what is music then? heh, we know then. I have much respect a dude like
Paul Van Dyrk who makes a fabulous track with a chick going: "ERRRMMMM
dAYYYY AHHHH YYEAAA". What the fuck is it about with electronic music then?

so I thereby say, what motivates you (while you know the truth). It's all crap but its
soo good. EVER SHIT on the TOILET and felt, DAMN, I FEEL great while I SHIT.
I'm not ragging like a whore whose dried up a rag crusted to a piece of a card
stock. Leaving you wondering, HOW AM I GONNA WIPE MYSELF? but with the
intelligent notion that what does it all mean? and why are you motivated? and does
it make sense? Is it just easy, or just the latest tool in creation for your motivation
and self-worth?

damn, I love the guys who make money on there electronodal music,

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/89             10-Aug-04  @  12:38 AM   -   RE: motivation

Gatano

Link?:  No link

Blu would you mind giving me your email I have a few PT questions if you wouldnt mind helping me.
Thanks

Message 22/89             10-Aug-04  @  12:45 AM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

Link?: Link

Milan, you make cheese, get over it

Message 23/89             10-Aug-04  @  01:26 AM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

A more serious post...c'mon- lets all be honest here. Maybe I'm the odd one out but when I see people on MTV and twats on the news who pride themselves in saying "oh well for my inspiration..I...ermm...walk on the beach and watch a sunset and sit in the dark for 3 hours, hearing nothing but the waves and birds and reflect on my past, because past experiences make my music so much better" or my favorite is "on my trip to africa, i got a chance to work first hand with green peace and i felt "charged" when i got home, and ready for music"

......that's the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. I've never been "inspired" to do shit. I've never gone home after feeding homeless people in my school programs and said "god damn, I'm such a good person that I'm going to write a floor filler" --- wtf? Or "woah, that sunset was gorgeous--I'm going to go put my thoughts to music just now! 'cause thats possible!!"

None of my music reflects who I am, or what mood I'm in when I write it. Because when someone in your family dies or after you get home from feeding kids with aids in africa, do you feel great enough to write a song? I'm betting you feel like shit (ie reflecting your mood, your music would sound like shit too), unless you're an asshole, and frankly just don't care.

Sure I go through periods of writing block, but I don't search for things to blame it on. I go through periods of being able to write non stop for weeks, but thats just making music. Its how it goes folks *shrug*

Message 24/89             10-Aug-04  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: motivation

milan

well bravo for an honest and original post bs....

BUT... not only do you need to listen to other music except trance, you need to get out of your house more, not to mention go travel dude!!! THEN you'll see if you wont feel inspired (or even more inspired in your case ;).

(but dont go to goa, you'll probably quit trance altogether after seeing all the drugged out hippies )

Message 25/89             10-Aug-04  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: motivation

k

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 26/89             10-Aug-04  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: motivation

beds

"None of my music reflects who I am"

indeed. lots of dance/trance/whatever is functional to the point of banality, you don't need to reflect anything when all you wanna do is recreate what some euro-gimp did last week/month/year/decade in order to "fill the floor".

"I'm betting you feel like shit (ie reflecting your mood, your music would sound like shit too)"

... *sigh*

Message 27/89             10-Aug-04  @  12:20 PM     Edit: 10-Aug-04  |  12:22 PM   -   RE: motivation

Steve Roughley

Andrew, nice post. I have to agree. There is barely anything that actually motivates me to make music, other than music itsself.

However:

"Because when someone in your family dies or after you get home from feeding kids with aids in africa, do you feel great enough to write a song? I'm betting you feel like shit (ie reflecting your mood, your music would sound like shit too), unless you're an asshole, and frankly just don't care."

I was actually surprised to find that the only time that I have every properly finished a track was directly after a good friend of mine died. I did actually feel driven to complete it. In hindsight, this was obviously me looking for a distraction, so maybe [sometimes] there is some truth in what these cheesemisters say. But I still don't see how anyone except Bloody-Curt-Depressed-Cobain could be inspired by nastiness.

Message 28/89             10-Aug-04  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: motivation

beds

hands up who thinks picasso painted guernica because he was quite happy with everything?

history is littered with art created in angst, pain, disgust, joy, wonder, lust, fear etc.

go listen to some mahler, his music was so entwined in his life that it's kinda considered hyper-emotional.

how can you deride people for their motivation? makes me think you're afraid of feeling anything.

Message 29/89             10-Aug-04  @  04:35 PM     Edit: 10-Aug-04  |  04:35 PM   -   RE: motivation

Steve Roughley

"how can you deride people for their motivation? makes me think you're afraid of feeling anything"

Nah, I just have a severe problem/neuroses about depression (I used to suffer from it, got myself out of it and now I just hate it). Also, as bloody usual, I didn't even think about what I was saying before I posted that message. Oh well.

Message 30/89             10-Aug-04  @  05:05 PM     Edit: 10-Aug-04  |  05:06 PM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - BLU

"indeed. lots of dance/trance/whatever is functional to the point of banality, you don't need to reflect anything when all you wanna do is recreate what some euro-gimp did last week/month/year/decade in order to 'fill the floor'."

-----------

last time i checked this was *dance*tech, stop having a go at andrew and get out that chatroom long enought to actually do a track beds!! lol

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)