aaa I need help arranging a house track - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I need help arranging a house track

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 23-Jan-04  @  09:58 PM   -   I need help arranging a house track

Mike Geary

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hope someone out there can provide me with some help . I have been slowly getting together a decent collection of kit and consider myself pretty competant with it . I produce house music in a sort of moody US style but i keep hitting on the same problem .
All the ingredients of each track sound great and i am always satisfied with what i can produce in terms of loops , bass , synth , samples . Problem is , when i try to arrange it all into the finished article it never seems to sound "right" . The tracks just never seem to flow like i know they should and by the time i have finished tinkering i have usually lost the original vibe that created the track in the first place. Any help or suggestions would be well received .
I know there is no template that works every time but i really am getting frustrated and maybe i look into things too much rather than keep it simple . I don't know but i hope you can help . Cheers

michael.geary@ntlworld.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/36             28-Jan-04  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

dubmunkey

MXP- im from the UK, not that that actually means anything....

but i guess by slaggin a genre you like ive produced the same reaction from you that i had when you slagged off a genre that i liked....

greg

Message 22/36             28-Jan-04  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

RagnarOk

Link?: Link

I think trance rule.

Now beat me HARD!

Message 23/36             28-Jan-04  @  10:09 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

k

lol - yeah... Mindspawns advice is usual for beginners - Listen to what you like and write down the linear structure - eg:

riff intro 8 bars - riff intro + hat 8 bars - riff intro + hat + kik 8 bars

whatever - write a linear 'plot' deviding it into bars (count 'em)

then take YOUR music and arrange it the same way - listenand tweak.

once you get into the swing of it you can just do it yourself - making a linear arrangement is one of the hardest thinsg tho - making good grooves which can loop around 4, 8 or 16 bars is comparitively easy, and that is why often DJ's who re-mix can get it right cos they work exclusively with making linear arrangement on the fly with various vinyls
- so mebbe also you could try doing a mix with a Deejay friend sitting in co-mixing it?

Message 24/36             28-Jan-04  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Dingostema

Link?:  Link

I'm with K and Mindspawn on this one mate. Choose a track of an artist that you like, one that in your ears flows nicely. Choose a track that is in a similar style to your style of music. I used to beatmap the track so it was running at the same tempo as my project. Then i would chuck it into an audio track within my project. If you mute all the channels in your project other than this audio track, you can listen to it and watch it in the arrange window and see on your project what happens in his track a certain times. Use this as a guide and a good learning tool.

Dingo

Message 25/36             31-Jan-04  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Mike Geary

Cheers (most of you) - helpful in different ways but helpful all the same .
Will post a track soon - however you do that??? then any constructive criticism will be gratefully taken on board .
Can't really see the logic in the house/jungle bickering . Both have been born out of the same experimental approach to music and have a lot in common . To disregard either or say one is crap while the other is great does a disservice to the pioneers who brought electronic music (in all it's various forms) so far in such a short space of time . Stop moaning and enjoy it all .
Thanks again for all the suggestions - i'm off now to try and build a track that sounds like all the others - almost anyway .( 4/4 bass drum of course ).

Message 26/36             31-Jan-04  @  02:15 PM     Edit: 31-Jan-04  |  02:25 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Mike Geary

What is with all the funny talk?

"That is SO last year"
"4/4 is SO 2002"
"Jungle is SO 1994"

Sounds more like f#@king trinny and suzannah than a music forum darlings .

If house didn't borrow from the past it simply wouldn't exist - same goes for all music . Tell Oasis they won't sell any records using those same old rock 'n' roll chords . Er ..... they did!!! Ooops sorry - maybe Oasis are SO 1994 too .
As for rock 'n' roll - is that SO the 50's? Why do people on here say stuff like that??
Maybe i need to move with the times and pretend i'm on Sex in the city or something . Then i could SO talk like a penis!!!!!

Keep rockin'

Message 27/36             31-Jan-04  @  04:09 PM     Edit: 31-Jan-04  |  04:10 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

BluStudio

i think the 'soooooooooooooo' stuff is a piss take from the first one mike, but talk like a penis by all means
blu

Message 28/36             31-Jan-04  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

milan

aye... we take the piss a lot in these forums... dont mind us  

Message 29/36             01-Feb-04  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

psylichon

Link?:  Link

"talking like a penis".... LOL I'm using that one! hahahahahah!!!!

Message 30/36             01-Feb-04  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

d

yawn, obviously you're a peein'

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)