aaa help hookin-up midi - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: help hookin-up midi

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 22-Mar-04  @  12:17 AM   -   help hookin-up midi

RAzz

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I just bought a lap-top from my friend for cheap, ive always wanted to use one as a dedicated stand alone for synths, sampler etc.
I bought a firewire 410 for it, and now id like to sequence with it as well as with my other units. My problems is im not very good at midi. Here is a run down of my gear, id like to sequence with my mc-505 as the host "clock send" and have the rest just clock up, but not be receiving note signals. Using my s/w sequencer as a realtime recorder.
What should i set these to and how should i hook this up so it all works correctly?

Gear:

mc-505 (host clock)

firewire410 / laptop (synths+ sampler)

Q-rack Triggered by(pcr-30)

Indigo-C

SN2

digi001(pro-tools le)

midiman 4x4

psy and k...you helped me a lot on my last issue just wanted to thank you.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/34             28-Mar-04  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

k

can we hear some tunes then?

Message 32/34             29-Mar-04  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

k... trust me im itching to start bangin some tracks out. In a few weeks time, i'll send you something ; ) as of right now between class and work, its tough on me.
Thanks for inquiring ...few weeks..promise

Message 33/34             04-Apr-04  @  06:41 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

Optofonik

Link?:  Link

Tell us how you got things sorted.

Message 34/34             04-Apr-04  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

I re-routed the midi through the usb as you suggested. Its working good.
I have the out from the midi-man going to all the ins of the SN,Q,Indigo-c,and lappy where reason and some s/w synths are.
I have them all on auto..receiving clock. I am using one of my electribes as a sequencer to help me get my tracks rock solid when i use the synths.(i havent figured out how to work midi within PT yet, as well as my update voids the use of midi (asio-for 5.3.2) until i get 6.1). For the most part it is working good. I am still learning the workings of the comp. sequencer. Some tracks begin to train wreck when they arent aligned properly but thats all part of the learning curve. I have been reading a few PTs book i picked up from barnes and nobles. Its been helping me understand how to cut the tracks and snap em together so everything sounds right. I have been using the shuffle feature which snaps them together right at the seams. When i ajdust the tempo to whole notes..understand that i have no idea what that is other then im experimenting. But it splits the "grid" in grid feature up into a whole bunch of segments. I like this because I can align my tracks easier...but when I press play on the sequencer all my midi equipment blinks at 1000 beats a minute.. i dunno. As for you help.. Its been what ive been using. I thank all of you guys. Midis working great, im having fun, just need to learn a little bit more..and I can send out some tracks finally. Thanks for your concerns.
=)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)