aaa New ASR-X ! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New ASR-X !

Viewing all 35 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/35             28-Jul-98  @  01:02 AM   -   New ASR-X !

John

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Have anyone heard of this new asr-x called an asr-x pro. Look in keyboard magazine or
Its supposed to be red too.. any info???

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/35             28-Jul-98  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

John

The Asr-x pro is supposed to be able to upgrade to 64 megs sampling ram.
Its supposed to have more sounds... and generally better than the regular X.
Look for more information.. cuz I need it too

Message 3/35             28-Jul-98  @  05:54 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

Ren

Damn!! What should I do now?? I was planning on getting the asr-x ,(the one that comes
with scsi and dancecard) This week. I can't find anything about an asr-x pro. what the hell
should I do??? Is this thing real?? Somebody who knows for sure please respond. And if it is
real when will it be available to the public??

Message 4/35             28-Jul-98  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

Ren

By the way.. is there something I can get thats better than the asr-x right now, besides a k2000??
This new Asr-x just wreck my all my plans. I'm sitting here in the dark.

Message 5/35             28-Jul-98  @  06:16 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

kilo

as an all in one, there is little that competes for the same price...... hang on... nope.... could see anything... well look at it this way... it is a great unit..... if you think the plyphony etc is going to be too little, get an A-3000 with a seperate sequencer.... it can function as an all-in-one unit... no probs.... just no sequencer, no pads to play etc....... if there was a new asr-x, it'd be more money right !!...... so your call

Message 6/35             28-Jul-98  @  06:40 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

ren

as an all in one, there is little that competes for the same price...... hang on... nope.... could see anything...
well look at it this way... it is a great unit..... if you think the plyphony etc is going to be too little, get an A-3000
with a seperate sequencer.... it can function as an all-in-one unit... no probs.... just no sequencer, no pads to
play etc....... if there was a new asr-x, it'd be more money right !!...... so your call

Kilo, so the a-3000 does drums,sample, and can double as a synth. Good for hiphop and drum and bass
And I could use cakewalk to sequence it. Sounds good. I'll research more on this new asr-x and the a-3000
before I do anything. The less money, the better for me.

Message 7/35             28-Jul-98  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

kilo

i mailed Ensoniq... and the reply was:

The ASR-X PRO is a higher priced product that has not been released yet. The
release date has not been set at this time.

heh heh... brimming with info....

Message 8/35             28-Jul-98  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: "brimming with info"...

skul

yes, that would be Ensoniq, and their tech support are about as informative. something to keep in mind before buying... most likely you'll find the mailing list more informative.

the new X will have Zap's "Stomper" prog built right in (somehow). that's all i know additionally...

Message 9/35             30-Jul-98  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

The XPro doesnīt have stomper, but an electronic drum modelling program based on E-Muīs Audity (as you know Ensoniq was merged with E-Mu recently), with 8 arpeggiator/pattern sequencer, also it have a 6 notes (expandible to 18) polyphonic analog modelling synth with 3 oscillators + sub + noise,multimode filter, 3 EGs and 3 LFOs, 8 assignable knobs, 8 assignable buttons, a ribbon controller, 4 track hard disk recording (with edit, bouncing and all that), 4 multi-FX buses, the pads now can trigger sequences, and itīs bordeaux.
The polyphony is now 64 and it comes with 8 MB and a max of 128.
It will be released onseptember at the price of $2000.

Message 10/35             30-Jul-98  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

kilo

where d'you get all this ensoniq info Self ??

Message 11/35             30-Jul-98  @  02:28 PM   -   ha ha ha, very fucking funny...

skul

mr. anonymous is obviously either joking or dreaming...

Message 12/35             30-Jul-98  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

BUGGO

UMM...HAVEN'T I HEARD ALL THE WOES ABOUT HOW THE ASRX IS SO HARD TO USE BECAUSE OF TOO FEW BUTTONS AND WHATNOT? HAVING NOT USED THE ASR-X, BUT HAVING USED BOTH THE MPC2K AND 60, I'D RECCOMEND AN MPC...DUNNO ABOUT THE ASRX BUT THE MPC IS JUST A FUCKIN DREAM TO USE...REALLY A CREATIVE INSTRUMENT! I ONLY USED IT AS A DRUM MACHIEN AND SEQUENCER, AND BOTH OF THOSE FUNCTIONS FUCKING ROCKED! BUT I DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL PITCH-SHIFT A SAMPLE UP AND DOWN THE KEYBOARD AS (ALL) SAMPLERS WILL DO...DON'T KNOW IF IT'S ONLY GOOD FOR DRUMS OR OTHER INSTRUMENTS TOO; BUT THE DRUM SECTION MAKES IT WORTH IT.

ANYONE WANT AN MC300, $175?

Message 13/35             31-Jul-98  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

john

Yeah the mpc is a dream machine for drums, and the seqeuncer is solid and thats about it.
If you want just drums get it. can't really get into sophistocated note playing with it.
The X isn't that hard to use. Especially with an external sequencer. Plus they are comming out
with new os versions to fix problems they had in the sequencer

Message 14/35             12-Aug-98  @  01:31 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

self_osc

OK, I was joking in the anonimous thread, but this is some real info from Harmony Central:

ENSONIQ Announces ASR-X Pro Resampling Production Studio

Malvern, Pa, 1998 - ENSONIQ is excited to announce the next generation of the remarkably successful ASR-X, the ASR-X Pro! The original ASR-X was the first to offer a professional quality sampler, expandable synthesizer, sequencer, and effect unit as standard features in a single tabletop unit with patented velocity sensitive drumpads.
New features of the ASR-X Pro include a distinctive new look, and RAM expandable to 66MB for over 12 minutes of 44.1khz mono or over 6 minutes of stereo sampling. The operating system is now stored in Flash memory for convenient software upgrades. Also new to the ASR-X Pro is Stomper, a built in software synthesis program that creates faithful reproductions of classic electronic drum machines - and even phatter sounds! 10 "Essentials" buttons have been added for instant access to 15 sounds of your choice and direct access of patterns. In addition, tempo resolution can now be set to within 1/100 BPM for more accurate matching of audio loops to MIDI sequences.

The ASR-X Pro provides a unique combination of tools for sampling-intensive productions such as Hip-hop, Techno, Industrial, and dance oriented music. The expanded features of the ASR-X Pro also make it suitable for a much wider variety of applications. When the RAM is expanded, the longer sampling times allow the ASR-X Pro to be used for flying in background vocals or other material to supplement a live or recorded performance. Using the advanced capabilities of the ASR-X Pro, grooves may be mixed, resampled with effects, and saved as an industry standard AIFF files for instant compatibility with leading Internet publishing and CD creation software.

Expandability is a key feature of the ASR-X Pro. An optional EXP series sound and wave expansion board may be added to increase the on-board synth's ROM memory up to 26MB. Installing the X-8 output expander allows sounds to be routed to any one of 10 outputs. The included SCSI interface opens the door for a wide variety of storage options, as well as access to a huge library of samples on CD-ROM. Most hard drives, removable media, and CD-ROM drives are compatible. Two RAM expansion slots are provided. Sample memory can be increased to 66MB using industry standard 72-pin SIMMS chips.

Computer users, Internet developers, and multimedia professionals will appreciate the ASR-X Pro's use of standard file formats. Disks are DOS formatted, sounds are saved as AIFF files, and EPS, ASR-10, Roland, AKAI, and .WAV files are easily imported. ENSONIQ has many 3rd party partners who offer a wide range of compatible products. These include editors, sample libraries, MIDI programs, etc. A complete list will be posted to ENSONIQ's website at www.ensoniq.com.

I wonder if the Stomper version will have "real time" edition, I mean, if it has to render the wave before you can play it as in the PC version.
What do they mean with "distinctive new look"? anyone knows? Is it really red???!!!!!

Dan

Message 15/35             12-Aug-98  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

John

Yeah the joint is RED plus it has much more buttons than the previous box. Now it should
really spit on the competetion cuz It could do drums just as good as the MPC, plus all
the rest, now this new box ... we're still waiting for a price tag though..

Message 16/35             13-Aug-98  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

kilo

huh??...... strange??..... whenever there is an ASRX thread, it's usually full of messages saying how much better the MPC's are..... weird !!!

Message 17/35             13-Aug-98  @  03:33 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

self_osc

John, do you saw a picture of the X-PRO?, Can you send it to me?

Dan

Message 18/35             13-Aug-98  @  04:08 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

John

I doubt if I can send it to you or here. But Its in Keyboard mag.
Its nothing but one page. an advertisement with the picture and some words
thats supposed make you buy it. No real investigation into the machine. So check it out
keyboard magazine. August or September issue I think its ... We'll it might be in both
issues since its just an ad.

Message 19/35             29-Aug-98  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

Self_osc

Itīs here! Visit the new Ensoniq Web Site!

Dan

Message 20/35             29-Aug-98  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

buggo

yeah, i saw it in keyboard mag the other day...looked pretty cool but for the price well...jeez you could buy a lot of kit. and personally (this always comes up; i can't let it go by!!) i'd go for a secondhand MPC. Never used an ASR but i HAVE used an MPC...with this thing, if I could afford it, i'd chuck my computer (after using the RAM to upgrade the mpc!) and life would be good...very good...

Message 21/35             29-Aug-98  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

John

What is the price of the asr-x pro??

Message 22/35             03-Sep-98  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

self_osc

I donīt know whatīs the price in the US, but I was ordered mine for $1700 factory-direct. But this price includes the imporeter cache and shipping. In my f*cking country this is the only way to purchase it and itīs takes wait a month and a 75% depossit. Mine come tomorrow and I really excited.

Dan

Message 23/35             09-Sep-98  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

buggo

oh, and another thing on that ad: it does say that it comes with a program in ROM called "stomper" (hmm) that produces "fat analog drums" or some shit like that. Maybe it IS zap's version?

Message 24/35             09-Sep-98  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

skul

it is Zap's Stomper. he has said as much on the ASR-X mailing list.

Message 25/35             13-Sep-98  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

self_osc

Well, the RedBox is here and is HOT!Let me say that the Stomper implementation is very close to the PC version and (like it) works rendering the wave! But the processor of the X is not a Pentium and the process is WAY slow (about a minute or more to render a 500 ms bass drum!),and without the graphic interfase. So use the PC is a better way to obtain the Stomp sounds.
The manual is very poor about the architecture of the sounds and in general. Nothing to do with the ASR10 bible-like one.
There was a lot of cool processing tools inside like the reduce bits and volume scaling commands, and since the results of all the manipulations are waves thats resides in Scratch Pad instead of override the originals, you get undo of all your movements! If you like the result you can send it to the other pads.
The editing options at the pad level are awesome! You can built a drum kit with different programming of ALL the synth parameters per drum!
Amd At the track level you have a selection of the more important ones (cutoff, res, attack, decay, release, vel to EG depht, Octave shift, pan, level, FX send bus, etc that can either offset or override the original programed ones. Better yet, you can record control changes of ALL those individual parameters in EACH track directly with the built in parameter data knob!!!!!! AND IT EXPORT MIDI CONTROLLER DATA TOO!!!!!!!!!!! Not a single controller number, but a different MIDI controller per parameter!!!!!! Cīmon guys.....say me the MPC is better than that. AKAI: good intent, but try again....

Dan

Message 26/35             13-Sep-98  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

John

say me the
MPC is better than that. AKAI: good intent, but try again....

You mean the X is better than the mpc right?
I think the X is better in alot of ways.

Message 27/35             16-Sep-98  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

I've got the asr x and it's a great sampler but the seq is disappointing, I 've heard rumors about mpc2000mkII, anyone? and how about that su700???

Message 28/35             16-Sep-98  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

skul

haven't heard about a mkII MPC2k, but the SU700 is most probably vaporware. it was announced over a year ago and there's still nothing. i think Yamaha just figured they missed the wave (akai and ensoniq already had their products out) and it wasn't worth pursuing, so they just concentrated on getting their EXseries out.

mebbe Yamaha will put something similar out someday, but i ain't holding my breath...

Message 29/35             17-Sep-98  @  04:13 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

What part of the X sequencer you dislike?

Message 30/35             17-Sep-98  @  05:22 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

buggo

i can see splurging for an all in one box if it has a kickass interface like the mpc...big ol' screen, much expandability, nice fat pads, easy layout, rock solid dependability...benefits that really only come as a package with a big expensive module like that...but as for the X, why do it? from what i've heard by and large, they have a way less creative, intuitive interface, and are limiting because of all the menus and shit...granted you get a sampler and synth, and i hate to sound like a broken record, but really, for the price of the X, you could get LOTS of cheap kit that would do the job just as well, probably better, and would allow different interfaces, thereby presenting new challenges etc, spawning different types of musical opuses (opi?)...plus individual bits of cheap kit are way more flexible, in terms of adding and replacing synths and whatnot..my point is that unless you REALLY like the interface (as i like the MPC) then an all-in-one box seems like a waste...

i know this subject has been beaten to death but i'm still interested in opinions.

Message 31/35             17-Sep-98  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

bill

Link?:  Link

thing about getting lots of budget kit (which is what i've been doing) is you can't pop it in your bag and trot round to your mate's house with it. likewise, if you're playing live in places that are basically clubs, half the time you're going to need to fit your kit into the dj booth.

that's why i like the idea of the asr-x/mpc. i'm looking into getting an mpc. well, after i've magically found some money that is...

Message 32/35             17-Sep-98  @  03:07 PM   -   my two bits

skul

i had an ASR-X for a bit, and it is a lovely sampler with sweet FX and nice filters. it's actually quite easy to use, if you don't mind tweaking one parameter per page. the ability to save and load .wavs to DOS format disks is a real plus.

but an all in one box it really ain't.

the synth is ok, if you don't mind not being able to edit voices (except w/ third party software). i needed way more presets and editing power.

the sequencer just ain't there. they had timing glitches for a while (that are supposedly resolved in the latest OS, though i doubt completely). it's ok for laying down a groove, then resampling it, but... no individual event editing, step record sucks (replace only), and the interface... well again, one parameter per page...

i was disappointed enough in the sequencer to buy an Akai ASQ10 (sequencing brains of an MPC60). and i absolutely love it - never will sell it. never. easy as fuck to use, dedicated buttons, huge LCD, and the tits step record (can you tell i'm a step-record-freak?).

i use an EX5 now for my synth/sampler - and i'm real happy with it. even the sequencer is pretty good. but it ain't exactly portable... if Yamaha were to release something like the SU700 (which i think they should, regardless of how "late" it is), i think that would be the "portable tabletop workstation" to look out for. but like i said, i ain't holding me breath...

Message 33/35             17-Sep-98  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

bill

Link?:  Link

fair enough, if it doesn't do all it's meant to then there seem to be other alternative. but in an ideal world...

Message 34/35             17-Sep-98  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: New ASR-X !

ftp://ftp.teklab.com/teklab/a3000/Documentation/Su700frt.jpg

Message 35/35             17-Sep-98  @  08:09 PM   -   yah, whatever...

skul

we've all seen that. it's called a prototype... it doesn't mean a single unit is in production.

Viewing all 35 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)