aaa help me with soft samplers? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: help me with soft samplers?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 13-Feb-04  @  11:53 AM   -   help me with soft samplers?

John Trueman

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi

I am looking for the best all round soft sampler (shipped with quality samples). I heard that the MOTU Mach 5 is quality but very buggy as they rushed it out onto the marketplace. Should I be looking at soft samplers like Kontackt, Battery, etc?

Thanking you for your time.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/37             18-Feb-04  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: help me with soft samplers?

k

no what he's saying is, that while Battery is a fine sample based drum box with good 'comes with' sample library, and with enuff editing for all the usual basic's and plenty of layering it isnt so much a drum SYNTH

there's a difference

Message 32/37             18-Feb-04  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: help me with soft samplers?

k

so... to add-on.... battery will do your drums great, but might not get those little special bits those things that jump out of a mix and make you say - ooo!

thing is, some people DO want to really go deeper, to make unique little sounds and movements which become a basis around which more is built, or to.... oh f8ck it... sound sculpting I guess you'd say.... some people really want to go deep and play.

I'd back Battery to the hilt as probably the best all-round quality does-most-things-people-want-from-drums s/w sample player unit, however, for REAL drum imitations, BFD by FXPansion canes it, and for drum-sample sound mangling and synthesis it's not deep enuff synthesis-wise to satisfy the experienced.

Message 33/37             18-Feb-04  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: help me with soft samplers?

Influx

Link?: Link

theres always Intakt

Message 34/37             19-Feb-04  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: help me with soft samplers?

Scott

There's one aspect of Battery that has not been discussed - stability. I have extolled the stability virtue of Battery before. Briefly, let me say this: at my last show this past summer, I used my 1.4GHz Toshiba Centrino laptop w/ RME Hammerfall as a drum sample-playback device (overkill... I know, but bear with me).

I configured a Project 5 song with 8 instances of Battery, each receiving on a different MIDI channel driven from my Machinedrum, and another instance for live drums via the Akai MPD-16. Not once, ever, did Battery or P5 flinch or hickup... even with the MD tempo cranked to ~700 BPM.

Also, I should add that I was able to get a few voices out of Battery on an @ss-slow AMD K6 300 laptop with fair latency, and many voices with acceptably low latency on a P3-650 laptop. Therefore, Battery truly is very CPU efficient.

Battery gets high marks in my book for being the stablest PC audio/music software I've ever used.

Message 35/37             19-Feb-04  @  02:53 AM   -   RE: help me with soft samplers?

mcc>

stable is good.

Message 36/37             19-Feb-04  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: help me with soft samplers?

xoxos

i thought you were talking about kontakt since it would be more representative of ni programming skills.

i do not recall clearly, but i think it's the loop points in kontakt don't respond to lfos, or it's s&h on-key and not constant.

at the above url, you'll find a track called honey.. kinda a big d/l for the example, but at the end of the song, i sampled the last measure and threw it into one of my loopmod samplers.

you'll hear that i basically have an lfo>loop len going on with maybe 1 or 2 other automations.. not a lot; i didn't work it real hard :p

as far as i'm concerned, that's the sort of shit you should be able to get out of any software sampler you pay for. a real shame.

better leave all the 'neat stuff' to aphex then. as long as you can sound a bit techno with puny unmodulated looping, you'll still receive adulation  

Message 37/37             20-Feb-04  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: help me with soft samplers?

xoxos

drum addict - hang on a minute. got back in to using se.. i can't make something that will load millions of samples like battery (have to use soundfonts for extensive sample mapping in se atm) but i will make you a sampler that will complement the more basic functions of ie. battery nicely (and be easy to use) so stay tuned for the next few days if you like.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)