aaa JP8000 or AN1X - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: JP8000 or AN1X

Viewing all 38 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/38             29-Jul-98  @  07:13 PM   -   JP8000 or AN1X

Geek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

You heard! Pros and Cons? Anyone experienced both?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/38             29-Jul-98  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link

I tried out the JP8k, the Nord Lead 2, and the An1x. I went in the shops and sat there for four or five hours at a time, over the course of about two weeks. For my own needs, the AN1x was the best deal. The JP seems to have a more well rounded sound tweaking engine, but outside of it's filters, I did not see much of an advatage over the AN1x. The Nord stomped both filter wise (IMO), but the Nord's arpegiator was a little weedy. The AN1x has a bit of both, and is cheaper in most areas.

Best advice I'd have is to get down to yer local shop and try 'em. Really all three of these machines could do a great deal of work. I think it will mostly depend on yer budget and your own personal tastes. Alot comes down to the box you have an affinity for. Any of these, and many others, will make a wide variety of sound. Read up on them to make sure the one you choose will have all the bits you need (like sending arpegiation over MIDI, sequencing ability, sound storage, etc.) and then buy based on which one gives you the sound you're looking for, or a least the closest. A lot will come down to quirks, too. Like the strange little woody pitch (or mod) wheel on the Nord... interesting, but I didna care for it for some odd reason. Or the JPs sliders, which seemed stiff (which is the way I am about sliders in general - I dunna like them, Sam I am...). The more you poke at one, the more of these little 'quirks' you'll notice, and that can go a long way toward helping you make a decision that you'll be satisfied with.

Peace all

Message 3/38             29-Jul-98  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

kilo

i'm getting me SUPERNOVA tommorrow... so i'll widdle a tad with it , and it's also a contender.....

Message 4/38             29-Jul-98  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Rouge

You lucky bastard! (Green with envy)

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Message 5/38             30-Jul-98  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

bill

i've got an an1x (so i'll probably be biased) and have played with the jp8000 quite a lot. but not the nord. so the best point sof the an1x are....

first, the price. secondly, it has an amazing pc-editor by the same bloke (gary gregson) that did xg-edit - it becomes so easy to leanr about the systh and create new stuff - even down to a graphical cakewalk-style drawing in of controllers (you can have up to four controllers modulated by this as part of each note you hit - wicked for sweeps and stuff - almost get some of the wavestation evolving pads if you try hard enough, anyway....)

thirdly - as opposed to the jp8k, where you get a preset up and (from what i could tell) have no idea of the current value of the knob/slider that you're looking at (so for example, if resonance is set to 100 and the last time you used it you left it at 20, you can't find out what the value is), on the an1x you just push the knob (it acts as a button as well) and it displays the value of the knob - wicked for learning about sounds and editing them. this works in the "assign" mode as well - if you forget which knob you assigned to delay return you just press them and it'll say which parameter(s) it affects. wicked....

fourth, and i may well be wrong here, from what i remember of the jp, it only has delay and reverb???? must be wrong, but the an1x has cool yamaha effects - delay and reverb both top and the vari-effect (chorus/flange/phaser/leslie/distortion/enhancer/wah and more that i can't remember). so the fx are good. and of course, you can mix them in and out via controller data of even the internal free-eg (the thing i described above).

fifth, finally, my preference, it's solid and blue, there's a little lip on the right hand side ideal for skinning up as someone once said, it has an extra octave than the jp and its fun. but then they all are - as mindspawn said, its just the little preferences that make the main difference - and that's my list of them....

Message 6/38             31-Jul-98  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Mr Qwaxz

The JP have that fuction to. Calling up the values.
And the FX´s is Chorous and aFlanger, phase effect and
no reverb but delay with panning long short or mono.
The JP feel like less than the ANX1 but I thought
the sound just was more solid. But look at the Kit lists
if you reed ......hmm...FM ..yes I confess I read it. and
the Nord is realy a muscians choice in studio and live.
But no FX . Nord sound so good when beeing used
in live perf. But one of my musicshops had the
Supernova 4 weeks ago but I hadent time to try it I´ll
go back and feel it....

Message 7/38             31-Jul-98  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Blunted

What about the prophecy??? Tis' a great bit o kit....
yeah yeah, I know it's monophonic....but it's still kewl and silver!!

Message 8/38             03-Aug-98  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rwakelin

THIS MAY BE WRONG...

A friend of mine has an AN1x and says that it only
responds on a single MIDI channel, where multi-timberal
operation is implemented as keyboard split. Effectively
the two sounds can not occupy the same key range, which
strikes me a bit of a drawback. Can anyone confirm this?
(My friend's taken holiday to play with his new A3000...)

I don't know if your in the UK Geek, but noticed Turnkey's
"end of line" (this is news to me) price for AN1x from
current FM(75 p67) is 500ukp! So you could have two for
the price of a JP8000 or three for the price of a Nord
Lead 2. Surely this will put pressure on the s/h analogue
market, new AN1x v used Juno106... hmmm...

Anyway, confirm for yourself, 'cos it's funny somehow
(and I aim this at equipment retailers in general) that
good advertised prices were, "for a limited period",
"on a one-off/ex-demo unit" or "for the v1/unexpanded
unit"... when they get you on the phone.

Rich

Message 9/38             03-Aug-98  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

skul

finally got to play with an AN1x this weekend, and i have to say it's fucking cool. i love the layout of the thing - very easy to tweek and come up with crazy sounding patches.

i checked out a JP8000 way back when it first came out and was sorely disappointed. it felt like a toy - thought i would snap those cheesy knobs right off. progging it, for me, wasn't as intuitive as the AN1x. but that's jus' me, an i'm a little screwy in thee head...

both sounded fat, in a "no it ain't analog, but it's pretty fat anyways..." kind of way.

Message 10/38             03-Aug-98  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Mindspawn

To: rwakelin@twowaytv.co.uk

The AN1x can respond to messages coming on different MIDI channels IF it is NOT set to Single or Unison mode. In the Split/Split Unison/Dual/DualUnison modes each scene can recieve on seperate MIDI channels and can operate independently. In this way two scenes, or layers, can be played across the keyboard independently (if set to different MIDI channels) or together as a Unison layer (if set to the same MIDI channels).

Peace

Message 11/38             03-Aug-98  @  07:54 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Hilevelt

wow, for that turnkey price the an1x is sick! It's sounds more trance-y, biting, & my buddy does great things with the on-board sequencer sync'd to his normal seqencer.

Message 12/38             03-Aug-98  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

buggo

dunno...turnkey seems to be advertising at 799 UKP...

Message 13/38             03-Aug-98  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

buggo

dunno...turnkey seems to be advertising at 799 UKP...

(sorry...i just hit submit and then stop, so this will probably post twice...)

but it seems that gear is much more expensive in the UK...if you were talking about a juno-106 going for 500 ukp, it seems a little steep...lots of prices seem to be really high on synths in the UK...like the UKP prices almost correspond numerically with dollar prices, placing UK items at almost twice as much, as the last time i checked the exchange rate was like 1$=0.6 UKP. Am i wrong?

Message 14/38             04-Aug-98  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rwakelin

Thanks Mindspawn for the info... I'm a bit tempted by the
AN1x myself now...

Buggo, yeah 500ukp would be high for a Juno106, but you
would see them around 400ukp. My point being that this
still doesn't compare well if you can get a new 2 part
multi AN1x with a (on paper) superiour synthesis engine
and aftertouch keyboard for 500ukp. You're right though
UK prices are often high.

[BTW: Turnkey advertising is usually out of date, the Web
site especially. In FM the AN1x 500ukp price appears on
one page and the next page there's another AN1x advert
for 649ukp.]

I had looked into getting kit from the US or Japan, but
import duty (about 4% I think) plus VAT (17.5%) almost
totally erroded any benefits. EEC member countries are
no problem import wise though, but can get a bit frought
when the order shows up and it's wrong.

Rich

Message 15/38             04-Aug-98  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

martinb

Hey dudes, Turnkey are selling the AN1X at £499.

Message 16/38             04-Aug-98  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

buggo

still, 400UKP for a juno106? I paid $400 for mine, and that was by no means a great deal!

Message 17/38             05-Aug-98  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Richie

My local second hand synth shop dropped the price of a used AN1x from 580ukp to 395ukp because of the turnkey advert. I just happened to be there when the nice man in the shop did it. Needless to say I bought it straight away. If it really is the end of the line for the AN1x you will probably be able to get dirt cheap second hand ones for a while until the cheap stock at turnkey has gone. After which the price may well rise again. But even for 500ukp I love it! This synth has made playing live a possibility for me. (If my pc was reliable that is..)

Richie.

Message 18/38             10-Aug-98  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Geek

With the AN1X at £499 and a second hand old Juno 106 usually going for about £400 UK.... which shall I go for.
Its more a drum'n'bass thing and what I've heard the AN1X is more suitable for trance/techno... am I right?

Message 19/38             10-Aug-98  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

chad_mitchell

I think that Juno isn't very suitable for dnb. Warm and Mellow is its thing. You probably want an FM synth (Cold and harsh)and don't forget cheap. Or a sampler utilizing FM synth samples works. I personally use soundforge for my FM synthesis stuff and load the samples into my sample software. Today I saw a DX-7 in the paper for $150 US. I think I'll snag it and dump my Fatar master keyboard.

-Chad-

Message 20/38             11-Aug-98  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Jock

I'm gutted I bought the AN1X last September and paid the full price for it. But then I suppose thats music gear for you. Its a nice machine and had definately opened some musical avenues for me. Although having never played a JP8000, and the fact that it scored higher in future music, makes me wonder whether I should have gone for the JP instead. But then who cares ! My JP8000 is turning up on Saturday, so I'll have the best of both worlds.

Next mission, if I choose to accept it........... Purchase a Novation Supernova...............

Message 21/38             11-Aug-98  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Geek

What about them basslines in Speed Garage?

So, the AN1X is a techno machine? Whats its speciality?
Jock?

Message 22/38             12-Aug-98  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Jock

Dunno really !!!! Its really only been these past few weeks that I've started to use it to its full potential. Before that i was using it for lead sounds and just jamming away. I think to be honest that it could handle most things. I'm a bit pissed off with lack of presets and the fact that you have to rub over them with your own sounds. I love the lead sounds on it, but my favourite sound is Megadrone (number 8). take off the wanky sequence assigned to the low end and it can be used for all sorts of stuff. its a good machine to experiment on, although its not just restricted to techno. Any who watches Top Gear Waterworld will know how fucking nice the intro musics bass line sounds like. Well I got a sound like that last night and oooh I've just cum.........

Well ok, its speciality is looking good on a 3 tier quicklok stand to impress the birds.

Message 23/38             16-Aug-98  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rouge

I really want to get one because they're going so cheap.... What are they like as MIDI controllers?

Is it true that they can only send out one at a time through MIDI? Or can you tweak cutoff, decay, etc. all at the same time and save it in the sequencer?

I need something to tweak my DB50.

Message 24/38             17-Aug-98  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

bill

the an1x is an excellent controller - all the usual velocity/aftertouch/pitch/modulation goes out and then there's 10 extra controllers - 8 knobs which can be assigned to any controller value and the 2-way ribbon which can be assigned to another two. i think it can do keyboard splits (only 2 way though) and you can send the arpeggiator out via midi to trigger somthing else.

i can't believe the an1x is so cheap now - get it and a copy of an1x edit for the pc/mac and you're laughing - i've never touched on fm synthesis before - and everyone says how complex it is - well with the an1x you can do basic (and i emphasis basic) fm stuff - and i was loving it. the fx are wonderful - the only thing it lacks is more timbrality because it'll do all your lines - bass, lead, pad, weird echoey effects, strings, dx pianos - so if you have an hd recorder like cake or cubase its wicked - set a drum loop running, get an an1x bassline going, draw in your controllers so its wobbling everywhere, tweak it realtime in an1x edit to get the right sound, add some reverb, compression (all still in the an1x) hit record, set the audio looping inplace of the midi - mute the midi and move onto another sound, repeat and repeat until you realise that its 3am and you have to be in work at 9....

it is just so easy. and now its fairly cheap too. and yeah, its immediately accessible as a trance/techno synth but just truns off the arpeggiator, tweak the controls and you've got sounds for everything from dnb to dub via garage and rock....

Message 25/38             17-Aug-98  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

99devils

I got a quote of $925 US on an AN1X...

-Craig

Message 26/38             17-Aug-98  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rouge

Anyone got both the AN1X and the CS1X????

Which is a better controller????

Message 27/38             09-Sep-98  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Jock

Well I've now got both the JP8000 and the AN1X. I suppose the fact that the JP8000 has held its price is a testament to how good the machine is. But the bloody AN1X is selling at turnkey for 499 !!!! Gutted or what ! Thats 50 quid more that a wanky old CS1X.

I'd have to say for pure enjoyment alone the JP8000 wins. It really gets you inspired. The AN1x does have loads of extra features but lacks the initial flare of the JP. Still if its value for money then the AN wins hands down.

Message 28/38             09-Sep-98  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

hilliard

I tried an AN1x for the first time last weekend.....I mmust say I really dig it (soundwise). However, the last thing I need is another "keyboard" (unless we're talking some old rare beast-of-a-bitch classic...hehehehe).

Anyway, just curious if the synth engine of the AN1x is in (or is planned to be in) any "rackmount" Yammaha piece? Maybe it's in the EX5, EX7, EX-whatever rackmount...dunno, but that unit seems like overkill/overprice as far as what I want/need....ya'know? The AN1x has all of those great oldies House/Garage patches (House Organ, Garage Organ, etc), as well as some real nice leads.

I haven't been a big fan of Yamaha (especially the newer stuff), but this piece is nice. Guitar Center has it for $1000 US.....seems like alot, actually......that's why I wonder about the rackmount thang....maybe I'm just out-of-the-loop on the Yammie front....anyone know?

Message 29/38             09-Sep-98  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Yamaha scrapped their rackmount idea.

Message 30/38             09-Sep-98  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rouge

You speak too late - I bought the thing Saturday before last. (for 499 squid). As for EX5R - no - EX5 and 7 uses a different kind -I think the An1X is more powerful and versatile but not so sure?!?
Yep - I kind of like it - better than my 'vintage' synths for certain - some good things, some bad. Too many preset arppeggios - its just not my thing!

Message 31/38             10-Sep-98  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Richie

After a month of owning it I sold my AN1x, however the problem with the machine was not it's sounds or anything like that it was ME.. My mate who bought it is into his house music and stuff like that, he came round and tried it, well bloody hell it sounded fucking ace with him playing it! I'm just shit at keyboards it looks like. I'm putting my money towards an A3000 (at least it's blue as well) I know I can use a sampler from having one before. I was trying to get the AN1x to sound as dirty and nasty as my Casio CZ-101 but I guess that my mate is going to use it for the stuff it's really good at (pads / strings / nice housey chords). Ah well at least I made a profit.

Message 32/38             10-Sep-98  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Jock

I thought that the AN synthesis is only apparent in the EX5R and EX5. I didnt think the EX7 had it on board. Unless I'm thinking of VL or DDSP (or whatever its called). Anyway the AN processing on the EX 5 does not offer the 10 note polyphony of the AN1X.

I heard an EX7 for the first time the other day. Admittedly I was pissed out of my head at the time so that could of affected my judgement. But it sounded ok.

Message 33/38             10-Sep-98  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Whatever you're going to do you better make your minds
up quick because Yamaha have discontinued the AN1x
for good. All UK Yamaha retailers are able to get
the AN1x at the £499 price, not just Turnkey.

Message 34/38             10-Sep-98  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

99devils

The EX7 has AN synthesis. It does not have VL. The EX7 has 1 voice of AN and the EX5 2 voices. The thing I found cool about the EX synths is that you can use the inernal sampler to sample an AN voice. You can therefore expand your polyphony to whatever your needs dictate by sampling your AN voices.

-Craig

Message 35/38             11-Sep-98  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Jock

That is true. But I thought only the EX5 had the sampling facility. Maybe I'm wrong, I mean , I was completely drunk when I read the article.

Yamaha really pisses me off. I've forked out nearly a grand for one of their shitty virtual analogue synths only to find out that in a space of a year its halved in value and been discontinued. What a fucking cunt I am.

Message 36/38             11-Sep-98  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

bill

me too. we should've known though. virtual analogs are basically computers. and we all know how fast computers lose their value. i'm sticking to thoroughly second-hand goods from now on.....

Message 37/38             12-Sep-98  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rouge

I get a free 2 tier keyboard stand too!
All for £499. Great!

Message 38/38             14-Sep-98  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Jock

OK OK NO NEED TO RUB IT IN ! BASTARD.

I could do with another 2 tier, give me yours and I'll let you live (said in a threatening school bully "give us yer dinner money" voice).

Viewing all 38 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)