aaa Eq ing vocals - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Eq ing vocals

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             27-Jul-98  @  04:06 PM   -   Eq ing vocals

Ren

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Do you all eq your vocals before the final mix?

1 Lifting quiet vocals out of a heavy mix
2 Restraining Harsh vocals.
Restraining 'wild' instruments, eg Bass Guitar
Resonance Control, without cutting bass spectrum at all levels.
De-Essing
De-Popping
Controlling Wireless mics in Musical Theatre
Sweetening, adding warmth to program without obtrusive EQ.

If so. HOw do you do 1 and 2?? Or just how do you make the voice sit well in the mix?? Do you sometimes don't need to eq the vocals?? What other tricks can be done with eqing vocals??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             28-Jul-98  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: Eq ing vocals

Fingers

this is subjective, depends on quality/qualities of voice etc etc etc. My voice benefits from taking the bottom end out (I sound like I've got a blocked nose). This tends to help it sit in the mix better. I also compress it quite heavily and add a touch of chorus/flange/reverb which rounds off some of the harshness, and sometimes add delay repeats. Basically I have to do all this because my voice isn't that strong. With a good vocalist you may be able to have the voice standing quite high in the mix without doing all this stuff. I tend to do the eq/compression 'offline' and add back into the track for the mix. This means a bit of trial and error though.

I use Goldwave usually. I've heard cuteFX is pretty good.

For quiet vocals you probably have to compress (you mean weak and variable level vocal). Hope this helps.

Message 3/4             28-Jul-98  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Eq ing vocals

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Make the vocals sound perfect regardless of the mix; eq everything else to sit around it.

Message 4/4             28-Jul-98  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Eq ing vocals

kil

ifind if you have to do alot of eq, then it aint recorded right to start with...... it's a VERY good idea to get a few spare days, and get a freind over who sings.... spend some time testing the system..... them when you are next in the vocal situation, you know all the settings..... and of course, a crap or inappropriate mic doesnt help

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)