aaa Z1!! yippee!!..err... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Z1!! yippee!!..err...

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             13-Jul-98  @  10:23 PM   -   Z1!! yippee!!..err...

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well i just got back from a trip visiting my sis in san francisco and whil there, i paid a visit to the haight-ashbury music shop, which, while highly overpriced, was fun...in my area there are NO shops that sell electronic music gear; the closest thing anyone can come to that is a DJ shop with a few 2-channel mixers and turntables. Anyway, i have never really been to a music shop like that before and I GOT TO DEMO SOME COOL SHIT!!

korg z1: kickass synth. (altho i've never owned a synth myself; it's hard to tell.) but anyway i played mostly with the "tb-30003" patch and the rezo/cutoff etc (it has 2 filters, 2 oscs, i think...) fat sound, huge filter range (almost a bit TOO sensitive..) and a whole shitload of patches..which brings me to its weak point. it's just a bunch of presets which you can tweak slightly and filter; sort of disappointing. A lot of them are good, especially acoustic things, like the trumpets...playing a note on the trumpet, while modulating it with the little finger-pad on the left, made some super-real brass-slidey notes, which quite surprised me. but anyway, a lot of the patches are ambient noises, kind of use-once-and-nnever-again kinds of deals...anyway not a bad synth, but not worth all the $$$$$$$.

also tried the mpc2k. wowie. wow. superwow. the only thing that pissed me off was that it loaded the OS from a disk; i've never used the mpc60 but i've heard it loads from a chip, which in my mind would be much better. anyway you probably all know about it, but hell, i've never used one and it was cool. now all i need is a job, to generate revenue, to generate some kit, to generate some sounds, to generate hearing loss...umm...ok.

cheers.

buggo

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             14-Jul-98  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: Z1!! yippee!!..err...

self_osc

I played the Z1 2 months ago and I found it a bit weak in sound compared with the Prophecy.
I very dissapointed with it , because I was thinking in upgrade to it, but after hear it I'm thinking on buy another thing (like the Microwave XT) and keep the Prophecy.
Of course the synth sounds excellent, but if you have a Prophecy and you program it you could hear the difference.
It sounds like Korg was "normalized" the synthesis engine, cutting the most Xtreme flavors to offers a kind of modelling workstation with more polited sound. The factory patches confirms that idea, lot of pads/pianos/bells and few synth sounds. That's a shame considering the excellent synthesis features of the machine.
Of course I'm not only check the factory sounds, but I was trying to change parameters to obtain the powerful kind of sounds I get out of the Prophecy, but the smothness of the filters absolutely shocked me!
Thrust me, I can't believe what Korg do with the MOSS architecture, I was play it two times for 3 hours each with the same results.
Anyone that have a Prophecy and think in sell it to purchase a Z1 beleaving that it's a poly-Prophy should takes a second look (and hear) before do it.
Anyone in my situation please write here to confirm/denied this observation, because I want to know another opinion.

Dan

Message 3/4             14-Jul-98  @  08:56 AM   -   RE: Z1!! yippee!!..err...

bug go go

i'm not sure if i was right...does the Z1 in fact just have a bunch of presets and some knobs, or can you actually fuck with fundamental waves like saw, square etc.?

Message 4/4             20-Jul-98  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: Z1!! yippee!!..err...

self_osc

You can do anything you want with the waves, mate....I,m not complain about the synthesis power, just about the sound.

Dan

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)